Cowon Plenue D
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #526 of 4,949
well ... i think it is all about implementation not the brand name of the IC ... my fiio x3 use a wolfson DAC ... and surprisingly it is kinda bright sounding with its line out (which uses the dac only not the internal amplification ) which is not known for w wolfson dac ... on the other hand the dac inside the Predator with most speculations is inferior to the X3's DAC but sounds more pleasing and better than the X3's line out ! 
congratulations :beerchug:

Now it's weird. All my wolfson devices sound somewhat bright and cold, and it's the exact reason why I particularly like it lol. Perhaps it's highly dependent on the headphones used. This D is still very tempting for me,with its long battery life and expandable memory.I'm so sick of the pathetic 8GB of memory for music on my stupid phone

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #527 of 4,949
Now it's weird. All my wolfson devices sound somewhat bright and cold, and it's the exact reason why I particularly like it lol. Perhaps it's highly dependent on the headphones used. This D is still very tempting for me,with its long battery life and expandable memory.I'm so sick of the pathetic 8GB of memory for music on my stupid phone

so now from where came the tale of the warm sound of wolfson !! 
biggrin.gif
 ... any way it is all about taste and headphones used of course ... and D indeed a very interesting player for me with BBE and the driving power for its size and long battery life ... 

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #533 of 4,949
Hi guys,
I can't decide between dx 80 and cowon.d.
Any comparison?

I have had my eye on the Cowon Plenue D for a while now.. But when I saw the DX80 on Amazon, I decided to take the leap of faith and get it. I've only had it for a day.. And have posted my initial impressions on the DX80 impressions page. I compared it to the iPhone 6 and Fiio X3i, and to a lesser degree the Fiio X5ii. So far, I have not had any random shut offs, or lag. The only issue I felt is an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update, is the touchscreen sensitivity or possibly calibration. It's not off by much.. But it's enough for me to notice..

One last thing.. To Photoman.. How did you have the DX80 3 times? Lol.. And what clicking are you referring to?

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #534 of 4,949
Hm there are some very brief comparisons between the DX80 and the D but is there anything more than that? There is a 10% discount on both of them at AMP3 so I am going to buy one by tomorrow to hold me over until my Explorer comes. The one thing that bothers me is that issue about it being very loud from quite early on the volume dial is that a real issue with sensitive earphones?

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #535 of 4,949
  Hm there are some very brief comparisons between the DX80 and the D but is there anything more than that? 

I have neither spent much with the Plenue D yet nor have I done comparative volume-matched listening between it and DX80 (as I haven't planned on comparing both), so all I can personally say for now is that DX80 sounds more "analogue, organic, yet detailed", Plenue D sounds more "neutral, bright". Nothing more I can say at the moment.

[...] until my Explorer comes.

You are also a backer? Welcome to the club! 
beerchug.gif

So long until shipping starts though...

The one thing that bothers me is that issue about it being very loud from quite early on the volume dial is that a real issue with sensitive earphones?

This highly depends on your usual listening level.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #536 of 4,949

I have neither spent much with the Plenue D yet nor have I done comparative volume-matched listening between it and DX80 (as I haven't planned on comparing both), so all I can personally say for now is that DX80 sounds more "analogue, organic, yet detailed", Plenue D sounds more "neutral, bright". Nothing more I can say at the moment.

You are also a backer? Welcome to the club! 
beerchug.gif

So long until shipping starts though...

This highly depends on your usual listening level.

Thanks for the response, does the DX80 hiss with sensitive earphones?

Backer indeed! :) and really looking forward to it to be honest.

I tend to listen at fairly low levels really, and my CE6P are very sensitive, they were picking hiss and interference from the X7 like crazy, had to send it back...

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #537 of 4,949
@vrapan 

I agree, the pre-order price along with the features and six months of Tidal streaming service membership were just too good not to join. I think I will go for Black Walnut as soon as we are able to decide.

X7's amp produced hiss in quiet sections of the music, or are you referring to the WiFi interference noise some people are experiencing? Just wondering, as the X7 also caught my interest.

Anyway, back to the topic: if you are a hiss-sensitive person, listening at rather low volume levels and are using sensitive IEMs, DX80 hisses (too much in a very quiet environment for my personal preference, though not as much as the DX50, Shanling M2 or HiFime 9018d).

Plenue D is pretty much hiss-free, though the DX90 has the even more silent background with extremely sensitive IEMs.

With sensitive IEMs and if you are listening at fairly low levels, Plenue D may likely be too loud in many situations for you unless Cowon fixes this with a future FW version that adds more attenuation steps and a lower minimum volume.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #538 of 4,949
  @vrapan 

I agree, the pre-order price along with the features and six months of Tidal streaming service membership were just too good not to join. I think I will go for Black Walnut as soon as we are able to decide.

X7's amp produced hiss in quiet sections of the music, or are you referring to the WiFi interference noise some people are experiencing? Just wondering, as the X7 also caught my interest.

Anyway, back to the topic: if you are a hiss-sensitive person, listening at rather low volume levels and are using sensitive IEMs, DX80 hisses (too much in a very quiet environment for my personal preference, though not as much as the DX50, Shanling M2 or HiFime 9018d).

Plenue D is pretty much hiss-free, though the DX90 has the even more silent background with extremely sensitive IEMs.

With sensitive IEMs and if you are listening at fairly low levels, Plenue D may likely be too loud in many situations for you unless Cowon fixes this with a future FW version that adds more attenuation steps and a lower minimum volume.

Black walnut does look the best although I secretly wished they had an option for full aluminum (they had a render a little while back on the thread and it looked really good!)

The X7 was hiss free, DX90 levels of hiss ie pretty much none, I was talking about interference from the screen and the wifi module, the interference from the WiFi I could almost do something about but from the screen was driving me absolutely nuts.

In that case the DX80 is out, hiss bothers me a lot, and the CE6P is far too sensitive so I might jump on the D, cheaper and it is only for 3-4 months hopefully! :D

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #539 of 4,949
AMP3? Is that the one that is in the UK? I saw that they were out of stock.
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/ - right?

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #540 of 4,949
  Hm there are some very brief comparisons between the DX80 and the D but is there anything more than that? There is a 10% discount on both of them at AMP3 so I am going to buy one by tomorrow to hold me over until my Explorer comes. The one thing that bothers me is that issue about it being very loud from quite early on the volume dial is that a real issue with sensitive earphones?

AMP3? Is that the one that is in the UK? I saw that they were out of stock.
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/ - right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back