Cowon Plenue D
Jan 7, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #512 of 4,949
Yes it does and the battery is great, it's made os aluminum, and let's not forget 110 bucks on amazon, quik delivery, it's small and very powerful, so if music a dac and line out sexy lights,lol, seriously get it , also two sd card slots, the hardware is good, it can push big headphones , but they also make a 30 dollar amp, there like fiio when they started,making good quality for less, they want money so the cheaper they sell the more recommendations and recognition they get plus a few billion dollars won't hurt, I recomend it , checkout twister 6, review, he's very honest and just like ,jmills, hawaii, and eedjohn, and a few others , they know what there talking about I'm Lear ING from them and my knowledge I pass it on, so people don't have to throw there money away and enjoy, and we're audio buddies, it's a great hobby, when I use my fiio x5, with my fiio 12e or fiio 07 , 17k or any amp, and I put my ultimate ears triplefi 10, sony xb50,sony xb90, sony xba a3, macaw gt100s, and listen to benni chawes, "your always on my mind" close my eyes I'm in heaven, and if God can see that I wanna share that experience with the rest of the world, life is short and these are the little moment we save and cherish, honestly enjoy the xduoox3, your like it , it has a musical flavor like the fiio x5, which is one of the top players , I bought mine after seeing Hawaii review and I thank him.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #513 of 4,949
  Just four pictures, the whole set of images including measurements and impressions can be found on my German site: 

​

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Brief summary:

1. I like the sound (clear, detailed, effortless, neutral)
  2. pretty much hiss-free, though not as pitch-black as the iBasso DX90 (only very slight hiss in quiet passages (SE846) (Ostry KC06A slightly higher) -> quasi hiss-free, even with very sensitive IEMs)
  3. UI indeed slightly laggy, especially when scrolling, especially in lists - DX90 is smoother (it doesn't seem because of the processor, rather like sth. that could be fixed with a FW upgrade)
  4. no bass roll-off with low impedance headphones or IEMs
  5. claimed low output impedance is true
  6. lowest possible volume too high for me (lowering the volume with the EQ doesn't work, as -12 on every band doesn't result in a flat curve)

+ sound, aesthetics, size, build quality, quasi hiss-free

- only takes FAT32-formatted cards, a bit laggy UI, lowest volume too high for low-/medium-level listeners with more sensitive IEMs (like the Sansa Clip Zip without RockBox)

I am not sure whether to keep it or not, as the lowest volume is definitely too high for me in the long term. I wonder if they ever fix that with a FW update (highly doubt that tbh) or if someone can modify the FW to add a wider adjustment range. RockBox, probably happening anytime?

I find that fascinating. With every Cowon I have ever owned I actually can listen around the 35-40/40 mark and that's with some EQ bands passed midway! I am known for listening at very loud levels, but I am astounded when I hear people listening to Cowon's in single digit levels etc. I'm imagining the PD is of the same volume as other Cowon's (just that it has more increments), but really... incredible that we have such diversity when it comes to peoples ears/volumes etc. 

i think line out to connect it with an external more powerful amp and skip the internal amplification system for purer sound

That would be ok as long as the DSPs of the Cowon remain. I really see little point in buying a Cowon if the user is bypassing the DSP it carries, this is it's strongest (and unique) selling point imo.

Yes it does and the battery is great, it's made os aluminum, and let's not forget 110 bucks on amazon, quik delivery, it's small and very powerful, so if music a dac and line out sexy lights,lol, seriously get it , also two sd card slots, the hardware is good, it can push big headphones , but they also make a 30 dollar amp, there like fiio when they started,making good quality for less, they want money so the cheaper they sell the more recommendations and recognition they get plus a few billion dollars won't hurt, I recomend it , checkout twister 6, review, he's very honest and just like ,jmills, hawaii, and eedjohn, and a few others , they know what there talking about I'm Lear ING from them and my knowledge I pass it on, so people don't have to throw there money away and enjoy, and we're audio buddies, it's a great hobby, when I use my fiio x5, with my fiio 12e or fiio 07 , 17k or any amp, and I put my ultimate ears triplefi 10, sony xb50,sony xb90, sony xba a3, macaw gt100s, and listen to benni chawes, "your always on my mind" close my eyes I'm in heaven, and if God can see that I wanna share that experience with the rest of the world, life is short and these are the little moment we save and cherish, honestly enjoy the xduoox3, your like it , it has a musical flavor like the fiio x5, which is one of the top players , I bought mine after seeing Hawaii review and I thank him.

Whoa! Take a breath! lol. No seriously I loved reading that paragraph :D

Will check out the Xduoox3 :)

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #514 of 4,949
Hahaja, I like to get to the point instead of a line every 3 hours, I throw it all out I do have a life and I live in new York , in queens so I'm busy I sell electronics on the Internet and in the neighborhood, and to people who have businesses, so I wholesale, and I live off that , so I do my best to let it out, have a nice one, love that sense of humor, thank you, bye.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #515 of 4,949

rrrrrrrr i like passion!!!!! 

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #516 of 4,949
So I've been trying to figure out the DAC used in the D based on the DAC specs - 123 dB SNR, THD, etc...my guess is that based on the fact that Cowon has been using TI chips in the other Plenue's, they might be doing the same for the D.  So looking at that, we get the following DAC's that would fall into the general realm of possibility:

PCM1794A
PCM1796
PCM1798

Of course, they could be using a Wolfson DAC, but looking at their offerings, nothing matches up from what I see.  The likelihood of another brand I consider highly unlikely, based on supplier relationships in this instance.

So does anyone think it might be another TI/BB chip in the D?  It would also theoretically mean that the D should be able to support DSD, as all those DAC's do but Cowon may have disabled it and called it a "cheaper" player.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #518 of 4,949

That would be ok as long as the DSPs of the Cowon remain. I really see little point in buying a Cowon if the user is bypassing the DSP it carries, this is it's strongest (and unique) selling point imo.

can't agree more with that ... i was just responding to the question as it is ... but at the case of cowon ..... why would any one get a cowon and not using BBE sound effects ??!!

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #519 of 4,949
  can't agree more with that ... i was just responding to the question as it is ... but at the case of cowon ..... why would any one get a cowon and not using BBE sound effects ??!!

Well... that and the battery life I guess, tho as stipulated before the 100hrs is complete overkill for most of us. I think I'm not alone when I say I'd quite happily take a 1/4 of that (25hrs) for the same device with 3/4 of the weight gone, ie around 20-30g.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #520 of 4,949
So I've been trying to figure out the DAC used in the D based on the DAC specs - 123 dB SNR, THD, etc...my guess is that based on the fact that Cowon has been using TI chips in the other Plenue's, they might be doing the same for the D.  So looking at that, we get the following DAC's that would fall into the general realm of possibility:

PCM1794A
PCM1796
PCM1798

Of course, they could be using a Wolfson DAC, but looking at their offerings, nothing matches up from what I see.  The likelihood of another brand I consider highly unlikely, based on supplier relationships in this instance.

So does anyone think it might be another TI/BB chip in the D?  It would also theoretically mean that the D should be able to support DSD, as all those DAC's do but Cowon may have disabled it and called it a "cheaper" player.

Really hope they're using a wolfson here. Then I'll buy one without a thought. A bit of wolfson fan here lol.
If it's a TI/BB, then I'll hesitate. :cry:
Already got two of that in my desktop DAC. I know the DAC chip doesn't mean everything but to me wolfson devices (and I've used a few of them) all has that unique signature that i like.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #521 of 4,949
On the volume thing, this is very interesting, and I think this is more of an issue with the file than with individual ears. Most of my files require the volume to be at 40 or so, but one of my albums, which I ripped a long while ago is already too loud at volume 1.

Fixing this would necessitate to normalize all owned tracks to a single amplitude standard (of course trying to no crush the dynamic range of the file itself).

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #522 of 4,949
On the volume thing, this is very interesting, and I think this is more of an issue with the file than with individual ears. Most of my files require the volume to be at 40 or so, but one of my albums, which I ripped a long while ago is already too loud at volume 1.

Fixing this would necessitate to normalize all owned tracks to a single amplitude standard (of course trying to no crush the dynamic range of the file itself).
Totally agree, if volume 1 is too loud then check the recording.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #523 of 4,949
Just ordered my plenue d from eBay 299, they have a glass protector for 2.8 screen not sure if it would fit, but I'm also gonna buy leather case in blue in amazon, it's real leather, and its worth it, I saved 100 anyway, so that's the sd card and the blue case, now I have the perfect matching amp dac for it, fiio 17k or the andes looks really nice , perfect the buttons match , plus while playing they will be inside another cellphone canvas case with belt clip, they will look nice with my macawgt100s or uetriplefi10, but I'm also gonna order sony xba a3, I can't wait, and my xduoox3 also will be ordered with 12e from fiio.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #524 of 4,949
Really hope they're using a wolfson here. Then I'll buy one without a thought. A bit of wolfson fan here lol.
If it's a TI/BB, then I'll hesitate. :cry:
Already got two of that in my desktop DAC. I know the DAC chip doesn't mean everything but to me wolfson devices (and I've used a few of them) all has that unique signature that i like.

well ... i think it is all about implementation not the brand name of the IC ... my fiio x3 use a wolfson DAC ... and surprisingly it is kinda bright sounding with its line out (which uses the dac only not the internal amplification ) which is not known for w wolfson dac ... on the other hand the dac inside the Predator with most speculations is inferior to the X3's DAC but sounds more pleasing and better than the X3's line out ! 
Just ordered my plenue d from eBay 299, they have a glass protector for 2.8 screen not sure if it would fit, but I'm also gonna buy leather case in blue in amazon, it's real leather, and its worth it, I saved 100 anyway, so that's the sd card and the blue case, now I have the perfect matching amp dac for it, fiio 17k or the andes looks really nice , perfect the buttons match , plus while playing they will be inside another cellphone canvas case with belt clip, they will look nice with my macawgt100s or uetriplefi10, but I'm also gonna order sony xba a3, I can't wait, and my xduoox3 also will be ordered with 12e from fiio.[IMG][attach]1539505[/attach][/quote]

congratulations [img]http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #525 of 4,949

Well... that and the battery life I guess, tho as stipulated before the 100hrs is complete overkill for most of us. I think I'm not alone when I say I'd quite happily take a 1/4 of that (25hrs) for the same device with 3/4 of the weight gone, ie around 20-30g.

yep .. for me too i am more than happy with my  walkman A-15 battery life .. i rarely charge it ... IMO
Cowon = BBE sound effects  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back