Cowon Plenue D
May 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #2,597 of 4,949
Tried this yesterday after reading the great comments on this thread. I use the AKJr at the moment and I will not be replacing it with the Plenue.
The main reason is power, I liked the sound a lot, maybe not quite as much as the Jr but its excellent. Problem is it cant power my HD700, the Jr makes it sing but through the plenue it sounds underpowered, dull and lifeless.
The Jr has 2vrms, the plenue 1.
It also had issues playing some M4a files.
I would recommend it though, I have particular needs but as a portable player at £200 its hard to beat.

May 11, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,598 of 4,949
Tried this yesterday after reading the great comments on this thread. I use the AKJr at the moment and I will not be replacing it with the Plenue.
The main reason is power, I liked the sound a lot, maybe not quite as much as the Jr but its excellent. Problem is it cant power my HD700, the Jr makes it sing but through the plenue it sounds underpowered, dull and lifeless.
The Jr has 2vrms, the plenue 1.
It also had issues playing some M4a files.
I would recommend it though, I have particular needs but as a portable player at £200 its hard to beat.

Thanks for those comparisons. How would you compare the tonality of both these players with that of the Mojo, in terms of timbre accuracy and naturalness?

Thanks

May 11, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,599 of 4,949
Thanks for those comparisons. How would you compare the tonality of both these players with that of the Mojo, in terms of timbre accuracy and naturalness?

Thanks

Never heard the mojo but have heard the Hugo which I believe is similar. As far as tone the Jr is a warm sounding player, it is also very clear and precise in its presentation, the Hugo was not dissimilar but it had a more natural sound, hard to describe but it sounded 'right' , non digital, like it was almost analogue.
The DAC in the D has the tone and musical presentation of the Jr but its nit quite as black or clear.

May 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2,601 of 4,949
is this thing good with v moda m 100,ath msr 7 ,meze  99 classics or oppo pm3? I will propably go for v moda or ath couse of price range. thanks in advance for answer
i have the m100 and the pd. Sounds pretty decent imo.

May 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,602 of 4,949
I just got a 2nd chance offer to buy a new Plenue D that I didn't win earlier in an eBay auction for $224 shipped. Is the Plenue D a worthwhile upgrade from the Fiio X1 I currently own? I'm using VE Monk+ earbuds and Easy M2 IEM's.

May 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,603 of 4,949
I just got a 2nd chance offer to buy a new Plenue D that I didn't win earlier in an eBay auction for $224 shipped. Is the Plenue D a worthwhile upgrade from the Fiio X1 I currently own? I'm using VE Monk+ earbuds and Easy M2 IEM's.
A big upgrade.

May 12, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,604 of 4,949
I've been having fun with the EQ on this. I barely touched it on my J3, but I actually have standard BBE on most of the time now. I find it gives the bass a bit of an extra kick without being too overbearing. It definitely doesn't work for all albums though.... for example, the new Radiohead album (24bit FLAC) sounds best on default settings to my ears (with my heaphones!)

Anyway, I've still got a lot to learn about EQ settings and what I should be doing for my own custom settings but I'm absolutely intending to embrace this aspect of the player. For some albums, changing the EQ settings can be utterly transformative!

May 13, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #2,606 of 4,949
really big upgrade - i had a X1 and replaced it with a PD.
- better EQ and overall better Sound
- more output power
- much longer battery life
- more stylish and smaller
OK - the PD is more expensive, but it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back