Cowon Plenue D
May 9, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,582 of 4,954
  How does the Plenue D compare to Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1? I guess I know the answer, but still.

I can tell you from all that I read the DP-X1 is better than the XDP-100R. Now how good the Cowon is compared I have no idea but I have to guess anything above the PD is better. I'm in the same boat as you. I keep getting stumped which is better as the Onkyo has a crazy amazing EQ in it that is appealing but I don't like that it Adroid based. The AK are nice but I keep reading how the Cowon are smoother and less edgy and has more adjustments to make it so. So I also would like to know someone's impression/comparison (if any exist) of:

Plenue D compared to:

Plenue M
Plenue P1
Onkyo DP-X1
AK120ii
AK Jr.

Thanks.

May 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,583 of 4,954
Anyone know what is the settings for BBE headphone 2? I want to tweak it a little for my preference

This is my little hate, there's a few presets that are OK but might be better tweaked but no way of knowing the settings.
You'd think Cowon would have a leaflet showing the presets + settings.

Agreed. I like how some DAP's let you adjust the preset even and you can see it at least but not save over it. Even that would be nice to have. 

I brought this up many moons ago here and on other forums, it was then and is likely to be now still a dead end. I was exactly feeling the same with my C2 and i9+.
What I will say is that I have discovered better settings on my own and with other members help on forums, it just takes time. You have to have the patience to really sit down and tinker, the diversity for sound signatures is very large with this device, and I believe it's all a bit of a learning experience, 6 months from now u will tweak to something new and get a lot from it, then another 6 months do the same again etc, sometimes it takes a year or so of owning to truly find your sweet spot, that's been my experience.

Anyway feel free to try these settings I have used, it gets mixed feedback with some literally saying "WOW! How has it taken so long to find this?! Sounds amazing!" to "Urgh... artificial and ghastly"

EQ
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
6 3.0 normal
7 11.7 wide

BBE/JET EFFECT
bbe 10
mach3 8
3d 2
mp enhance on
steroe enhance 3
reverb off

or (for less bass)

EQ
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
5 3.0 normal
6 11.7 wide

BBE/JET EFFECT
bbe 10
mach3 off
3d surround 3
mp enhance on
stereo enhance 3
reverb off

At the very least it may be a launching point for some of you. Eventually I never used the presets anymore and preferred tinkering, but it is also very genre dependent, I can imagine those settings working well in some genres but not others.

May 9, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,584 of 4,954

I brought this up many moons ago here and on other forums, it was then and is likely to be now still a dead end. I was exactly feeling the same with my C2 and i9+.
What I will say is that I have discovered better settings on my own and with other members help on forums, it just takes time. You have to have the patience to really sit down and tinker, the diversity for sound signatures is very large with this device, and I believe it's all a bit of a learning experience, 6 months from now u will tweak to something new and get a lot from it, then another 6 months do the same again etc, sometimes it takes a year or so of owning to truly find your sweet spot, that's been my experience.

Anyway feel free to try these settings I have used, it gets mixed feedback with some literally saying "WOW! How has it taken so long to find this?! Sounds amazing!" to "Urgh... artificial and ghastly"

EQ
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
6 3.0 normal
7 11.7 wide

BBE/JET EFFECT
bbe 10
mach3 8
3d 2
mp enhance on
steroe enhance 3
reverb off

or (for less bass)

EQ
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
5 3.0 normal
6 11.7 wide

BBE/JET EFFECT
bbe 10
mach3 off
3d surround 3
mp enhance on
stereo enhance 3
reverb off

At the very least it may be a launching point for some of you. Eventually I never used the presets anymore and preferred tinkering, but it is also very genre dependent, I can imagine those settings working well in some genres but not others.

Thanks for your post. I'm just torn between more EQ settings and EQ saving options on the M vs the P1 which is supposed to have the better DAC Chipset and better sound. I don't have 24bit audio, all is converted to ALAC directly off purchased CD's so I'm not sure if even the P1 will make a noticeable difference.

May 9, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,585 of 4,954
  So I also would like to know someone's impression/comparison (if any exist) of:

Plenue D compared to:

Plenue M
Plenue P1
Onkyo DP-X1
AK120ii
AK Jr.

Thanks.

Yours truly would like to know this too, thanks in advance. 
popcorn.gif

May 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #2,587 of 4,954
Has anyone used Aurisonics ASG-2.5's with the Plenue D?  I'm looking for a small DAP that can power them without using a separate amp.  Also, I would like to know if 200gb micro sd cards will work in the Plenue D without folders missing?  Any help would be appreciated.

May 10, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,588 of 4,954
  Has anyone used Aurisonics ASG-2.5's with the Plenue D?  I'm looking for a small DAP that can power them without using a separate amp.  Also, I would like to know if 200gb micro sd cards will work in the Plenue D without folders missing?  Any help would be appreciated.

it can power but definitely not drive it to its full potential

May 10, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,589 of 4,954
Yep I have three 2.5s and use them with the PD (with and without an amp).

May 10, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,591 of 4,954
  have tried the settings i think its quite loud for me, at power 1

I have to believe your unit is defective.

As someone who has collected various DAPs from various companies over 10years I have never found a DAP to being too loud (regardless of EQ/DSP settings applied) at volume level 1 (which I assume what you mean with 'power 1').

Granted I must be deafer than most, as I tend to use my DAPs with their volumes in the upper most regions (90%ish), however my files are all replaygained to 93db, which is a tad lower than new releases that seem to sit around 96-98db.

If level 1 is too loud, I find it more plausible that your unit is defective rather than believing that another human being on this planet has almost Superman hearing and that is so sensitive to sound that low volumes are too loud. If that's the case how do you cope on the subway when a train rushed by, or a traffic noise, or the cinema, even a concert with ear plugs in must be deafening to you? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Have you owned other DAPs? What kidna % volume were you using them at?

May 10, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #2,592 of 4,954
Don't know but I've read some 50/50 about the Onkyo and Pioneer. Since I have ZX2 I won't bother spending that much.
I have been wanting this plenue d for a long time since I like the form factor and most of all the BBE settings that I miss that was on my older plenue z
How does the Plenue D compare to Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1? I guess I know the answer, but still.

May 10, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,593 of 4,954
Don't know but I've read some 50/50 about the Onkyo and Pioneer. Since I have ZX2 I won't bother spending that much.
I have been wanting this plenue d for a long time since I like the form factor and most of all the BBE settings that I miss that was on my older plenue z

So the Onkyo didn't impress you? It's supposed to be the hottest thing on the market now from all I read. The AK 300 also.

May 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,594 of 4,954

If level 1 is too loud, I find it more plausible that your unit is defective rather than believing that another human being on this planet has almost Superman hearing and that is so sensitive to sound that low volumes are too loud. If that's the case how do you cope on the subway when a train rushed by, or a traffic noise, or the cinema, even a concert with ear plugs in must be deafening to you? It just doesn't make sense to me.

smile.gif

May 10, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,595 of 4,954
So the Onkyo didn't impress you? It's supposed to be the hottest thing on the market now from all I read. The AK 300 also.
Ak 100 and AK120II I had and sold. Those AKs EQ are very bad and the 240 is equally bad. Onkyo has a clinical bright sound signature but I didnt use its EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back