Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3,017 of 3,200
i have the same problem with you

some albums in flac , they show up at the brwosing by folder , but not in the artist/albums browsing

and when i try to play them , it 'crashes'

this happens on some 32 gb sandisc cards i have - but when i put them on my clip+ everything works fine

must be a j3 'bug'

bummer
Quote:
Has anyone run into a problem in which the J3 won't recognize flac files? I mean they don't show up at all, even in the file/folder browser. It's new .flac files, from re-ripped discs. I thought it was the ID3v2 tag that was the problem but they're not showing up at all even after I removed it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3,018 of 3,200
I access my music by browsing the folders, J3 or J3 ext. Thinking back, I think I had the same problem in which browsing by album or artist clearly had bugs. Once I started just using the folder route, I was okay with it. Everything is fine for me this way, though it's less than ideal - I just can't be troubled at this point. Switching folders is a piece of piss, as my British colleagues like to say.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3,020 of 3,200
Try this page on iaudiophile.net:

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Somebody should get back to you if you post your problem here if you are unable to find a solution in one of these threads - chances are it'll be Kizune, who makes his own free UI's for the J3. Best of luck to you and sorry I couldn't be of greater service.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3,021 of 3,200
Formatted = nothing

I saw another thread on that site about this problem. It doesn't seem like anyone "solved" it. It just sort of worked out. At this point I'm convinced there's a thing about these FLAC files. Where can I get an older build of FLAC?

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #3,022 of 3,200
What bit rate are your files? The J3 doesn't support anything above 16/44.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #3,023 of 3,200
And which firmware version do you have? The latest is 2.29, although that shouldn't matter. Maybe you need to re-install the firmware and try it again.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #3,024 of 3,200
What bit rate are your files? The J3 doesn't support anything above 16/44.

Yeah but they still may show up.

24bit files show on my S9 it just freezes when you try to play them, (which sux ass) but they're visible.

Id be changing versions of LAME and try again. try adjusting your settings on EAC to this video. I've been ripping today and there's no problem. I followed set up completely from this video. Even do a full reinstall of EAC. Because I don't think this is a problem with your player, more how it's being converted.

Eliminate each section at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFbnaEV3m5Q&feature=related

EDIT: Try changing your command line too under compression options. It's in this link the one I'm using.

http://forums.ffshrine.org/f63/updated-guide-setting-up-ripping-flac-eac-91868/

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #3,025 of 3,200
I had this problem with my S9 (power switch broke) and my J3 which I still use.

They initially read flacs then for some reason they stopped reading newly loaded ones but still read ones that had been loaded earlier.

Never found out why but did find that if you change the extension from .FLAC to .FLA they player recognises them for some reason.

Any new flac I load files onto my J3  are run through an extension changer which does this.

Although this does not explain why it is a workaround that allows you to listen to your flacs.

Hope this helps

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,030 of 3,200
i noticed this player has different sizes
like 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb

Are these sizes internal storage or the storage size of a provided micro sd?

The sizes allocated are for the internal memory. You can use up to 32GB micro SD on top of the internal stated. (64GB cards work formatted to FAT32)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back