Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2,686 of 3,200

Quote:
Do you think the prices will go down soon?

Probably not. Look on Amazon at the prices on Zune HD....they are higher now than they ever were! The J3 may be destined for the same fate.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2,689 of 3,200

Quote:
I think no more player like the J3 have to be expected in the future, the road that Cowon take is now with Android and the Z2, you are loosing a lot of batterry for nothing if you only want a DAP ...

That is why I bought one. A Sony A867 too. I am not impressed with manufacturers' run for Android, not a great idea.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2,691 of 3,200
I got exactly this combination, and I am really liking it. I use the custom EQ of the J3 to make the W4 go more to the direction I want it in certain songs/genres. Its so simple and very portable, I got both of them now for 1 year and they still preform outstanding every day.

They pair really well, but since it is actually my first setup ever, I cannot do any comparisons that is in the price/quality league. But they work and sound great when paired. I do find that the J3 makes the music alot more alive then the Ipod Nano and Ipod Classic.

Quote:

Yep, same here bro ;]

By the way, anyone tried J3 with Westone 4, how do they pair?

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,692 of 3,200

Quote:
Shop around, but the prices are going up since the news of its discontinuation has come out.

I just got a 32gb off of ebay for $194 used...my folks will bring it over with them at the end of May when they visit from the States...I'm pretty stoked to get it at that price. I'm hoping it pairs well with vsonic gr07s...I can't imagine why it wouldn't. I bet custom IEMs give a full-on eargasm with the J3 and well-mastered flac files...

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,693 of 3,200
I lost my J3 sometime last week.
mad.gif
I hope it's really just somewhere in my room. The equalizer is so awesome. I'm not sure if I want to buy another one, though...

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #2,694 of 3,200
Got my J3 and played with it for a few hours before I plugged my W4Rs in. I was very happy seeing how flexible the UI is, the size and weight are perfect, external buttons well placed. 

The problems began when I started listening to music. Bloated bass, no resolution at all - compared to my A867 it is useless. Sorry to say that, but I am displeased with the unit.

Do you guys have any advice on how to make it better sounding?

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2,695 of 3,200
Without EQ's, what's the comparison in SQ between J3 and Rockboxed iPod 5g/5.5g both playing FLAC's?

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2,696 of 3,200

Quote:
The problems began when I started listening to music. Bloated bass, no resolution at all - compared to my A867 it is useless. Sorry to say that, but I am displeased with the unit.

Is the EQ off? The last thing the J3 should have is bloated bass. Maybe your headphones have a bassy sound signature? Either way, you can lower the bass in the EQ.

Also:
no resolution at all

I have no clue what that's supposed to mean.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2,697 of 3,200
My J3 had tighter bass, better soundstage, and sounded less bloated than my Sony X series.  Neither are bloated really tho.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2,698 of 3,200

Quote:
My J3 had tighter bass, better soundstage, and sounded less bloated than my Sony X series.  Neither are bloated really tho.

Sony sounded warm, what I got in the beginning from Cowon was bloated. Two different things.

Quote:
Quote:

Is the EQ off? The last thing the J3 should have is bloated bass. Maybe your headphones have a bassy sound signature? Either way, you can lower the bass in the EQ.

Also:
no resolution at all

I have no clue what that's supposed to mean.

Fortunately I found that EQ was on and turning it off made things much better. My headphones are Westone 4Rs and they have pretty good bass, maybe not perfect, but not bad either. Testing it for some time last night against A867 revealed that they are very close SQ wise. I still prefer the clarity of the Sony, but there is not enough difference to say I do not like the Cowon. I like the size of the Cowon, but the whole think is just not as well built/ designed as A867. For now I am unable to decide which one is better overall as the Cowon's great battery life and memory expansion make up for other tuff and in the end it is very difficult to say that one is much better than the other. I will have to keep both for some time to see which one works better for me. As for the EQ - to me it seems like it is veeery verhyped. It just has a lot of options, nothing else. 

Initial J3 impressions:

+ Battery life
+ Flexible UI
+ Size
+ Physical control buttons
+ FLAS support
+ Expandable memory

- Scrolling a bit choppy
- Lock button useless - can be pressed by mistake while in a back or pocket
- Feels comparatively cheap
- Music UI not as good and intuitive as Sony, but can be changed
- USB cable requires force to be plugged into the player