Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,296 of 3,200

Quote:
Man, I carry my J3+SE535 combo everywhere...such good sound that fits in my jeans :)

Me too! It's actually a pretty awesome combo. That said a friend of mine was kind enough to lend me his Meier Stepdance recently and after having heard an amped se535, I am blown away!! It just sounds that much better. I was sceptical at first but now I'm going to order myself a Stepdance as well. Only downside is it becoming less portable.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,297 of 3,200
hmmmm if i rmb correctly, you wudnt need to amp your IEM if u are using J3, since J3 itself is sufficient to drive any IEM.

also, amping wld help wif there's a line out jack on ur player but the J3 doesnt use line out. and instead u are double amping.

either ways i juz got my Unique Melody Merlin... ITS AWESOME ON THE J3!
my SE530 kinda... hmm located somewhere in the house. no idea where it had gone to =\

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,298 of 3,200

Quote:
hmmmm if i rmb correctly, you wudnt need to amp your IEM if u are using J3, since J3 itself is sufficient to drive any IEM.

You wouldn't need to, because you're right the J3 can drive any IEM to listenable levels (as far as I know). However, amping can still improve the sound of a lot of IEMs, in things like detail, clarity, etc. Things besides just volume.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #2,300 of 3,200
j3 is way better with any iems, than the rest of the players i tried, but amping could improve... to be more specific, it would improve more the more expensive class iems, than the cheaper ones.... about headphones, there is no question, you really need amping to most of them, to get the best of them...

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2,302 of 3,200

The Cowon J3 does not have a Line Out Direct (LOD) which means the signal coming out of the player is in analog form. Players with LODs can output digital signals. The mean benefit of players with LOD is being able to bypass the players internal DAC to an external DAC (higher quality/better conversion) before going into your amp/headphones. 

Quote:
Just a quick question that applies to any media player.

What exactly is a line out jack and what is its advantage over a non-line out jack (headphone jack?)? I read that the J3 lacks such a jack but an iPod Touch does have the LOD adapter.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,303 of 3,200
Line out bypasses the internal amp in the DAP (player).  

in other news,  i decided ill try something new.  i zero'd out the EQ (not sure what the stock Hz are but i went to the lowest setting on each.  i then turned up just the BBE to 10.  using it ampless with my W4, it sounds great. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #2,304 of 3,200

Quote:
Line out bypasses the internal amp in the DAP (player).  

in other news,  i decided ill try something new.  i zero'd out the EQ (not sure what the stock Hz are but i went to the lowest setting on each.  i then turned up just the BBE to 10.  using it ampless with my W4, it sounds great. 

wat?! lowest of each means? -12, -12, -12, -12, -12?

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,308 of 3,200
I'm thinking about buying this to get rid of my iPod + amp when on the go... how well would you guys say it works for a basshead? Can it be EQ'd well enough to put out a lot of bass? Also, how well does it drive full sized headphones?

Thanks for the help.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,309 of 3,200

Quote:
I'm thinking about buying this to get rid of my iPod + amp when on the go... how well would you guys say it works for a basshead? Can it be EQ'd well enough to put out a lot of bass? Also, how well does it drive full sized headphones?

Thanks for the help.

You can get plenty of bass.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2,310 of 3,200

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

You need to be more specific for "full sized" headphones... The J3 is a powerful device but even the most powerful portable players have can't drive ALL full sized headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back