Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,456 of 3,200
Well I've got the HTC Desire HD with a crazy size screen if I ever want movies on the go, but it eats battery like hell!
rolleyes.gif

I'm jumping on the new iPad whenever it's released though, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,457 of 3,200
Am I the only one that uses my music player for music, and doesn't care about movies? Book + Music = enjoyable transit. Hell, I once mixed an audio book with fitting music for my friend so he could "read" a book while listening to his music while driving. I don't think I ever watch movies or videos on the go except for the occasional youtube or blip.tv. I just don't like watching videos on anything less than a 15in screen, and even that is pushing it

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,458 of 3,200
Yea, I wasn't planning on using the J3 for movies, or even pictures, just Audio Files - I think the iPad is a great option for web browsing and movies on the go though, I haven't bought the current one, only played with a friends, as when I was going to drop the bomb on it I heard there was a new one being released this year.

I've just sold my Macbook Pro as I really wasn't using it, hence why I think the iPad is a good option, I do agree though, I think using anything below 7" for movies etc. Is really straining
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,459 of 3,200
Thanks for the comments ... I live in Tokyo and have long commutes so the option of watching movies and music is more appealing. Before I used to have a music rig and a vid rig, but have sold both so I can combine them into one.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,460 of 3,200
not, really....
cowon is audiphile but not videophile, ok videos look beautifull on my cowon j3, because of it's amoled, but it's not meant for that, is an audio player... the best one!....
for videos, look into something that is amoled, or super amoled, this tehnology makes the colors to look so awesome!....

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #1,461 of 3,200

Quote:
not, really....
cowon is audiphile but not videophile, ok videos look beautifull on my cowon j3, because of it's amoled, but it's not meant for that, is an audio player... the best one!....
for videos, look into something that is amoled, or super amoled, this tehnology makes the colors to look so awesome!....

You say the J3 has an AMOLED screen - but one should better look for an AMOLED screen player for videos? Not sure I get what you mean. :wink:

I love watching videos on the J3 in bed. The screen is big enough for me, and absolutely stunning - not to mention BBE sound enhancements for videos (which Cowon's stupid bigger PMPs lack). I don't find it eye-straining at all - but then again, I'm already myopic. :wink: I can only imagine how the screen on the D3 performs, with four times the resolution.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,462 of 3,200
It is the perfect "in bed" video player, lol...

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,463 of 3,200
What people don't realize is the size to distance ratio. I watch movies on my Evo approx 12-18" away from my face. The screen appears the same size as my 42" TV sitting 10 feet away...normal viewing distance.

15" minimum shouldn't be required when you have proper resolution and viewing distance. It's not like you're holding the J3 3" away from your face.

Also...why have the J3 if all you're using it for is music? Why not i9? I'm assuming they sound the same, or do they not?

Quote:
Am I the only one that uses my music player for music, and doesn't care about movies? Book + Music = enjoyable transit. Hell, I once mixed an audio book with fitting music for my friend so he could "read" a book while listening to his music while driving. I don't think I ever watch movies or videos on the go except for the occasional youtube or blip.tv. I just don't like watching videos on anything less than a 15in screen, and even that is pushing it

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,466 of 3,200
1) I'm quite well aware of size to distance ratios, but I still don't like having a screen that close to my face when watching videos. I like being at a distance, it is far easier on the eyes and reduces eyestrain. And the J3 does not have that huge of a screen in the first place. It is about 3in.

2) If you want to criticize my decision, please do not assume it was just for the sound quality and not the other features the respective players bring! I chose the J3 for several reasons, just like I did when I bought the D2. Why didn't I buy the iAudio 7 back then too, hm? There are several things that go into a decision.

Here is a list why I bought the J3 instead of the iAudio 9... Battery life, from coming from the D2 which had 52 hrs, 30 hrs from the i9 seemed like a huge downgrade that I didn't want. I also didn't want to get used to a completely different UI. Touch screen UIs are surprisingly similar when you get down to it. TACTILE BUTTONS! I like being able to control my player from inside my pocket, I did it with the D2, and can do it even better with the J3. I also HATE the rocker (or whatever you call that touch sensitive control on the i9). I just don't like it... And last but not least... EXPANDABLE MEMORY! 

Everyone has their own reasons for buying what they buy. If you bought it for both the music and video playing capabilities, don't assume that others did the same. 

Quote:
What people don't realize is the size to distance ratio. I watch movies on my Evo approx 12-18" away from my face. The screen appears the same size as my 42" TV sitting 10 feet away...normal viewing distance.

15" minimum shouldn't be required when you have proper resolution and viewing distance. It's not like you're holding the J3 3" away from your face.

Also...why have the J3 if all you're using it for is music? Why not i9? I'm assuming they sound the same, or do they not?

Quote:

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #1,467 of 3,200
kyu: You're misinterpreting my tone and intent. I don't recall criticizing anything...though given the faceless communication, lack of emoticon...I can see how one could interpret my post as a negative jab.

If you don't like holding a player a foot from your face...so be it. No biggie, I understand. My Dad's getting old. His eyes are pretty jacked and he has to hold things pretty far from his eyes to focus. I get it.

Regarding my comment about J3 vs i9...that was a viable question. Don't get all snippy kyu.
wink_face.gif
 I don't have a Cowon. I have had many DAP's and devices...but I have not yet made the decision as to whether I want a J3 or i9 thus my question. (which you answered with your opinion) I basically just wanted to know...why actually go J3 over i9 for music only. It wasn't a sarcastic "what are you thinking!" type of statement...it was a "what is the benefit" type of question.

Everybody's so daggum jumpy on the webz.

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,468 of 3,200
@chel: Apologies for misinterpreting. But, yeah... I did consider several players... I ultimately went with the J3 for the reasons I stated over the i9. I also looked into the D3, X7, P3, R0, and Q3. While at B&H I also looked at Creative players. In the end, I decided on J3, it just seemed like a better all around player, and had all the features I wanted and needed. The only company I never considered was Apple, as I am done with them. When I did use them, none lasted more than a year, which was quite upsetting. 

I have the J3 now and couldn't be happier.

Also I just noticed that all of the players I looked at are Korean players...(besides Creative which was almost an after thought) Hm.. I suppose Koreans know their music. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,469 of 3,200

Quote:
@chel: Apologies for misinterpreting. But, yeah... I did consider several players... I ultimately went with the J3 for the reasons I stated over the i9. I also looked into the D3, X7, P3, R0, and Q3. While at B&H I also looked at Creative players. In the end, I decided on J3, it just seemed like a better all around player, and had all the features I wanted and needed. The only company I never considered was Apple, as I am done with them. When I did use them, none lasted more than a year, which was quite upsetting. 

I have the J3 now and couldn't be happier.

Also I just noticed that all of the players I looked at are Korean players...(besides Creative which was almost an after thought) Hm.. I suppose Koreans know their music. 
dt880smile.png

KYU - What were your thoughts on the  D3?

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,470 of 3,200

Quote:

KYU - What were your thoughts on the  D3?

It has a lot of potential, but as it is right now it isn't complete. Perhaps with future firmware upgrades it will mature or even with Rock box, but as it is right now I cannot recommend it. I think a lot of the problems stem from the Android OS... Because of the Android OS it is buggy and has horrible battery life. However the screen is gorgeous, and the sound is as expected. For me, the real deal killer was the battery life though... If the D3 had 50+hrs of battery life I might have a D3 instead of a J3... I have experience with android and am sure I would have been able to fix the bugs fairly quickly with the help of some modding, rockbox, or some other method. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back