Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #1,321 of 3,200

Quote:
Gapless here as well.  You may want to double check those files.

Quote:
Most of my flac files are 24/96 and they lock up my J3, so they need to be converted as well.

lol
16/48 is as high as it will go.

Yeah, that's a shame.. my $30 rockboxed clip+ plays my 24/96's just fine... 

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,322 of 3,200

Quote:
is there a way to make it truly gapless??  (the momentary pause between songs on Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged is getting on my nerves)

If it's MP3, the encoding probably uses a sub-par codec like FHG or Xing. The J3 is truly gapless with LAME, but there's no guarantee that it's gapless with crappy codecs as well. You can check with Mr. Questionman what codec your files use.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #1,323 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Most of my flac files are 24/96 and they lock up my J3, so they need to be converted as well.

lol

Your rockboxed Clip gracefully tries to downsample stupid 24/96 encodes to 16/44 - the resulting audio is clearly inferior to real 16/44.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,325 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:
is there a way to make it truly gapless??  (the momentary pause between songs on Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged is getting on my nerves)

If it's MP3, the encoding probably uses a sub-par codec like FHG or Xing. The J3 is truly gapless with LAME, but there's no guarantee that it's gapless with crappy codecs as well. You can check with Mr. Questionman what codec your files use.

No they were .m4a's, they've been converted with lame and are fine now.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

lol

Your rockboxed Clip gracefully tries to downsample stupid 24/96 encodes to 16/44 - the resulting audio is clearly inferior to real 16/44.

Thank you for your eloquent explanation of how it's done.  My comment wasn't a knock against the J3, but merely an observation.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,326 of 3,200
No need for your snide remarks. Your rockboxed Clip doesn't *play* 24/96. It understands that bit depth and sample rate, and downsamples it internally to 16/44. It sounds like crap, just do an AB test against proper 16/44 material. The Clip doesn't have the means or processing power to properly downsample that material, so it's clearly inferior to material that was 16/44 to start with. These are facts - so you stating that the Clip plays 24/96 and the J3 doesn't - this doesn't bear any relevance at all, since the 24/96 material played over the Clip is rather mangled.

I am involved with Rockbox development, I know what it can do and what it can't - one thing it can't is reproducing 24/96 properly. Contrary to other firmwares it doesn't crap out when trying to do so, and it doesn't refuse such files, but it will sound worse than 16/44 in any case.

Not that any of this even matters, since 24/96 is a scam anyways, and shows no audible improvement over 16/44 in any case.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,327 of 3,200

Quote:
Not that any of this even matters, since 24/96 is a scam anyways, and shows no audible improvement over 16/44 in any case.

Yes, but 24 bit recordings are usually mastered better (at least that's why I think it sounds better). 

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,329 of 3,200
I had no idea that dfkt was involved in the rockbox project ;p

Anyway with my mp3 files encoded via lame (although I don't have any other encoding with my mp3 files) they have gapless as does flac without any issues.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,330 of 3,200
Violinvirtuoso, yes, they often sound different, I noticed that - that's part of the scam. It has nothing to do with technical specs, just with the mastering process. Once you downsample these "HD" masters properly to 16/44, with the right antialiasing and noise shaping, you can enjoy these more euphonic DVDA or SACD masters at regular bitrates as well - with absolutely no loss in signal whatsoever.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,331 of 3,200

Quote:
No need for your snide remarks. Your rockboxed Clip doesn't *play* 24/96. It understands that bit depth and sample rate, and downsamples it internally to 16/44. It sounds like crap, just do an AB test against proper 16/44 material. The Clip doesn't have the means or processing power to properly downsample that material, so it's clearly inferior to material that was 16/44 to start with. These are facts - so you stating that the Clip plays 24/96 and the J3 doesn't - this doesn't bear any relevance at all, since the 24/96 material played over the Clip is rather mangled.

I am involved with Rockbox development, I know what it can do and what it can't - one thing it can't is reproducing 24/96 properly. Contrary to other firmwares it doesn't crap out when trying to do so, and it doesn't refuse such files, but it will sound worse than 16/44 in any case.

MY snide remarks???  
eek.gif
  Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and saving my wallet from purchasing any more 24/96 files.  I truly appreciate it.

As for my comment about the Clip+ *playing* 24/96 files, I never referenced how those files sounded or how it was handled.  Whether it was ignorance or excitement over my new player, I didn't research the bit depth or sample rate that the J3 supported for FLAC files.  I simply copied my files over to the J3 and attempted to play the songs.  It was only after the J3 locked up that I started searching for answers to why those songs *came out of* my Clip+ and not my J3.  I meant no disrespect and I truly am thankful for the info.  Hopefully someone else will learn from my mistakes.

Now back to appreciating the J3...  I just ordered a Ringke case for mine and I think I like the BBE ViVA setting the best so far, at least with my RE0's.  I can't wait to try my other IEM's over the weekend.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,332 of 3,200

Quote:
I had no idea that dfkt was involved in the rockbox project ;p

Anyway with my mp3 files encoded via lame (although I don't have any other encoding with my mp3 files) they have gapless as does flac without any issues.

Indeed, I corrected my initial problem by ripping that one CD with lame and all is well and gapless :)

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,335 of 3,200
My J3 Setup:

Cowon J3 32GB
JH-Audio JH5's
TWAg Cable with Oyaide connector
Case: http://www.rearthusa.com (Color: Lavender)
Screen Protector (from Amazon)

Music UI: Cube Musictab v1.10
[To Download, Click The Link --->] http://rapidshare.com/files/446270044/Cube_Musictab_v1.10.zip

Browser UI: Klaus Browser v1.3
[To Download, Click The Link --->] http://rapidshare.com/files/446269869/Klaus_Browser_v1.3.zip

I have found these 2 UI's to work the best with my Cowon. I have provided download links above, feel free to download them. Make sure once you download them you extract them into System-->Flash/UI

Pictures:

Klaus Browser v1.10

Whole Setup

Cube Musictab UI Theme

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions! I am very content with the sound of my music at the moment. I recently organized everything with MP3tag. It took forever, but well worth it

<3

Elluzion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back