Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,307 of 3,200
Plonter, yes, the J3 doesn't distort at full volume, and comes close to the ceiling of what 16/44.1 can deliver, same as any professional sound card and such. It's what you see in the "no load" test I've linked in the post you quoted, the green measurements.

It might not deliver the exact nominal -10dBV consumer standard line-out voltage - but neither does any other MP3 player with a so-called line-out (especially not the fake "line-outs" on Sony players, the Cowon X5, and such).

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #1,308 of 3,200
OK so a LOT of love for the J3 means i'm going to throw the money down on one of these and join the club.

However, with a pair of Brainwavz M2 IEM's on the way, am I going to get a good audio experience from this, or are the two totally unmatched for each other.

Also, they threw in a fiio e5 with the buds, should I just eBay it or is it worth using with a J3?

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,311 of 3,200
Quote:
OK so a LOT of love for the J3 means i'm going to throw the money down on one of these and join the club.

However, with a pair of Brainwavz M2 IEM's on the way, am I going to get a good audio experience from this, or are the two totally unmatched for each other.

Also, they threw in a fiio e5 with the buds, should I just eBay it or is it worth using with a J3?

The J3 is great with almost any bud/IEM you can throw at it.  Anything you don't like can easily be EQ'd to a state of bliss.  I get nothing of benefit with my SM3's with my amp (Arrow) on the J3 other than crossfeed and bass boost, but some phones and more difficult to drive IEMs (Ety ER4S, for ex.) do benefit from a quality amp (although the J3 handles even the Beyer T50p and Etys just fine).  I think the E5 would be a step down, sonically speaking, in the chain, but if you wanted to drive some full sized cans an amp would be beneficial.  I'm really impressed with the J3 unamped though...anything up to 150 ohms impedence and moderate sensitivity sound fantastic straight out ot the J3.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #1,312 of 3,200
Guys, thanks for the speedy response anout the amp, any thoughts on the M2 IEMs on the J3? Will they compliment or hinder?

(Obviously, this is in addition to Golden Monkey's insight)

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,313 of 3,200
Ordered the Ibasso T3 for the RE262 and FA-003! J3 drives them fine without but its sucking the battery life out of them, I'm having to go up to 37-38 to get the sound I want. Looking forward to seeing how they pair up!

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #1,315 of 3,200
I just joined the J3 club today.  I'm putting it through it's paces right now. Considering that I normally don't use EQ, I'm enjoying the $hiite out of the JetEffect BBE settings, especially with my RE0's.  

I do have a couple of questions, is there a way to make it truly gapless??  (the momentary pause between songs on Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged is getting on my nerves)

Second, what are your favorite settings for the J3?  I'm loving Crystal Clear right now.   Thanks for any help.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,316 of 3,200

Quote:
I just joined the J3 club today.  I'm putting it through it's paces right now. Considering that I normally don't use EQ, I'm enjoying the $hiite out of the JetEffect BBE settings, especially with my RE0's.  

I do have a couple of questions, is there a way to make it truly gapless??  (the momentary pause between songs on Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged is getting on my nerves)

Second, what are your favorite settings for the J3?  I'm loving Crystal Clear right now.   Thanks for any help.

Hi mate and congratz on your new j3.  i am also enjoying my j3 very much.  my preffered sound presets are maestro and bbe headphone 2 and bbe viva is also nice..using all the headphones listed in my sig except for the D5000 which need amplification.   what do you mean by trully gapless?
do you want it to be gapless even on albums which have gaps between tracks?  I didn't encounter any problems with gapless playback in my j3.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,317 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:

Hi mate and congratz on your new j3.  i am also enjoying my j3 very much.  my preffered sound presets are maestro and bbe headphone 2 and bbe viva is also nice..using all the headphones listed in my sig except for the D5000 which need amplification.   what do you mean by trully gapless?
do you want it to be gapless even on albums which have gaps between tracks?  I didn't encounter any problems with gapless playback in my j3.

Hey Plonter.. This album is gapless on my clip+, my iPhone and in Foobar, but there's a pause in between songs with the J3.  That and if I don't go in with folder view, the songs are alphabetical.  I wonder if it's an issue with tags...  Hmmm...

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,318 of 3,200

For all my music it has been truly gapless! As in no gap whatsoever. Maybe its the album you are listening to?
Quote:

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,319 of 3,200

Quote:
For all my music it has been truly gapless! As in no gap whatsoever. Maybe its the album you are listening to?
Quote:

Hey Daanish... No I think the fact that they are .m4a's and not mp3's may be the issue.  Dark side of the moon is gapless and they're mp3's.  Time to convert a bunch of my files I guess.  Most of my flac files are 24/96 and they lock up my J3, so they need to be converted as well.  

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,320 of 3,200
Gapless here as well.  You may want to double check those files.

Quote:
Most of my flac files are 24/96 and they lock up my J3, so they need to be converted as well.

lol
16/48 is as high as it will go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back