Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #526 of 3,200
Quote:
I'm 17 and still in school with no part time job... i cant afford to dish out on decent cans yet... but i can sell my ipod and other crap to get the J3... and was wondering if it would be worth my while, didnt ask for an opinion about my current headphones. Thanks very much

God man step of your high horse and accept that someone is trying to help you.

I'm also 17 and at school so I can see why you think what you do. But blieve me, if you want to make an up-grade sell your iPod, buy a cheap Sansa Clip+/Fuze and put the rest of money into better 'phones.
I doubt you will notice much of a difference in SQ betweeen the J3 and iPod (There is a difference, but very minimal), where new 'phones is really night and day if you do your research.

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #527 of 3,200

Quote:

I'm also 17 and at school so I can see why you think what you do. But blieve me, if you want to make an up-grade sell your iPod, buy a cheap Sansa Clip+/Fuze and put the rest of money into better 'phones.
I doubt you will notice much of a difference in SQ betweeen the J3 and iPod (There is a difference, but very minimal), where new 'phones is really night and day if you do your research.

I concur.  Take a look at my current Head-Fi gear (signature below).  Your money would be better spent on high-quality headphones first.  

Also, grow a thicker skin my friend.  I'm double your age and have been actively involved in various forums for over 15 years.  Head-Fi is fairly timid when it comes to criticism.  If you can't handle advice here, then I don't know what to tell you man.

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #528 of 3,200

Quote:
Ringke, a Korean accessory manufacturer, makes very nice cases for most Cowon models.  Here is their silicone case for the J3:

How do their cases feel? I've only had an ipod silicone case which was somewhat sticky in material and captured lots of lint and similar material and wasn't really a good case for a pocket. How are those?

The prices does seem similar between that case and a plastic clear case. It's a bit more expensive but not by much. I won't be using these at home however as most of my listening will be done on public transportation.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #530 of 3,200

Quote:

I agree with you about your first point, but disagree about the SQ difference between the J3 and ipod with the J3 providing a huge step forward in SQ over the ipod IMO

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #531 of 3,200

Quote:
I agree with you about your first point, but disagree about the SQ difference between the J3 and ipod with the J3 providing a huge step forward in SQ over the ipod IMO

I think what they are trying to say is with his current headphones, the sound quality of the J3 over the ipod would be minimal. With better headphones, Im sure the difference will be more noticeable.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #532 of 3,200
     Quote:
I think what they are trying to say is with his current headphones, the sound quality of the J3 over the ipod would be minimal. With better headphones, Im sure the difference will be more noticeable.

Exactly. Also, the main reason the Cowon sounds better is the EQ. With both a 7 and 5.5g iPod Classic next to the J3 without any EQ effects I hands down prefer the 5.5g, with EQ its a different story...

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #533 of 3,200

Quote:
How do their cases feel? I've only had an ipod silicone case which was somewhat sticky in material and captured lots of lint and similar material and wasn't really a good case for a pocket. How are those?

The prices does seem similar between that case and a plastic clear case. It's a bit more expensive but not by much. I won't be using these at home however as most of my listening will be done on public transportation.

I use the Ringke case for the J3 and I love it.  Its silky smooth and doesn't stick to things like regular silicone cases.  Also, it does not attract lint at all.  It is very low profile and does not add much bulk to the player, keeping it very minimal and sleek, just like it should be.  Maybe I can take some pictures when I have the time.

I bricked my J3 twice and was not able to recover it with tcctool.  I finally figured out why it was bricking though (on the 3rd unit), and it was because I was incidentally loading .m4a files into my music folder.  Looking at the file type specs for Cowon, they do not support .m4a and not loading them prevented my J3 from bricking this time.  So.. just a heads up for anyone (as stupid as me). :wink:

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #534 of 3,200
Has anyone compared a Cowon player with a Viliv Player? I am trying decide between the Cowon J3 (or X7 or D3) and the Viliv V3 Prime. The Viliv V3 Prime hasn't been released in America, but from the Specs, it looks like an iPod Touch killer. If we are really lucky, it mght even have a digital out (like the Viliv S5).

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #535 of 3,200
Thanks ChroniCali and I'm glad you got your issues with the J3 fixed. However I do hope I won't be bricking anything anytime soon. I got no files outside of FLAC and mp3 as far as I know so I'm not worries about that. I thought that the J3 unofficially supported aac and m4a however.

Also the only place to buy that is from export prive correct? I'm looking to get that now after the suggestion earlier and possibly a couple of cheap screen protectors from dealextreme. The cases not adding much bulk was another complaint of mine with the last silicone case I had. However my issues with silicone cases seems to not be valid with ringke cases. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #536 of 3,200
Quote:
Thanks ChroniCali and I'm glad you got your issues with the J3 fixed. However I do hope I won't be bricking anything anytime soon. I got no files outside of FLAC and mp3 as far as I know so I'm not worries about that. I thought that the J3 unofficially supported aac and m4a however.

Also the only place to buy that is from export prive correct? I'm looking to get that now after the suggestion earlier and possibly a couple of cheap screen protectors from dealextreme. The cases not adding much bulk was another complaint of mine with the last silicone case I had. However my issues with silicone cases seems to not be valid with ringke cases. 

Yup, Export Prive is where I got mine, I don't see anywhere else selling them.  I was stupid and bought a "J3 Specific" screen protector for over $10, and then I got lint all over it and it looks horrible...  Anyways, the Ringke is a top-notch case, I got the dark smoked one, looks hot!

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #538 of 3,200
There's nothing wrong with Amazon. It just doesn't sell that case. I'd prefer Amazon due to free 2 day shipping on most items but sadly there's no option if it's not there. I'll be buying my J3 off Amazon since that's the cheapest if I get it from the seller jetaudio. I get tax on all the others since I'm in NY.

That's too bad about the screen protector but then again I would never get a screen protector "custom made" for a specific device. I've found that most sizes are available cheap from HK. I might have to wait a bit longer but at around $1 per screen protector shipped who cares. It will take the same time for the case and screen protector to come anyway. Looks like I'm pretty sold. I was looking at the liquid black or whatever color it was from the ringke cases. I'll probably get the 8GB white J3 since I think that was the one I tried out in the store and it looked real nice. I don't need 16GB or 32GB since I can get a 16gb card for around $20.

Soon I can be back to owning a Cowon :)

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #539 of 3,200
Sorry! Bad day for me, and coming online wasnt a good idea. Bad things happened. My bad and i do apologise. Thank you for your advice *which i was to pissed off to read properly earlier*...
I think i'll do just that, and get rid of the ipod and get some decent cans. Thanks.. And again sorry...

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #540 of 3,200
Quote:
Sorry! Bad day for me, and coming online wasnt a good idea. Bad things happened. My bad and i do apologise. Thank you for your advice *which i was to pissed off to read properly earlier*...
I think i'll do just that, and get rid of the ipod and get some decent cans. Thanks.. And again sorry...

At least you are aware. :)  I've noticed people here on Head-Fi are usually nice people, I also agree that getting decent cans will get you a lot farther than throwing all your money into an expensive DAP at this point in your audiophilic career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back