Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #211 of 3,200
Someone mentioned the 32GB sold on ebay doesnt covered by warranty? Is that true? Or it's not covered by Cowon US but under Cowon Korea?

Might get this player since i hold my purchase to re-buy D2 and skipped S9. Seem like perfect candidate for my main DAP.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #213 of 3,200

Quote:
Hey, J3 owners-

Looking through the manual do you use Favorites to create on the fly playlists?  If not, can you create on the fly playlists?

If it behave as previous Cowon (most likely), yes, Favorites is equivalent of on-the-fly playlist. U cant create multiple OTF playlists but can create multiple playlist via pc. Too bad for that (and OTF playlist has file limits too)

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #214 of 3,200
Sorry.. been away for the weekend (and Monday). Yes, it does. I've messed with a few FLAC settings. 8 was the first.

Quote:
Mediaogre, do FLAC 8s also play gapless?

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #215 of 3,200

Hey, warrior05 - playlists are for tweeners and wedding singers. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Hey, J3 owners-

Looking through the manual do you use Favorites to create on the fly playlists?  If not, can you create on the fly playlists?

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #216 of 3,200

Quote:
Hey, warrior05 - playlists are for tweeners and wedding singers. 
wink_face.gif

Ha!  Cute!  
biggrin.gif

Actually - I largely agree.  I never play playlists but sometimes I like to queue some fav songs during a listening session which I often do with my Rockboxed iMod.  Annoying that I can't do that with my iTouch.  Yet another reason why I'm looking to replace it.

I must say - this new J3 really has everything I am looking for in a PMP.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #217 of 3,200
The only thing that really turns me off is the fact that it's still being reported that the S9 and J3 have the same SQ. I don't like the sound sig of the S9 all that much.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #219 of 3,200
My J3 just arrive and wow is it nice ^_^  Only two complaints though, it is a pain in the butt to open the little handle on the bottom to access the microSD and the USB port and the manual sux!! :p

And another thing, I don't know why but my OS doesn't show the "safely remove device" option for my J3...it isn't even listed >_>

O and I just noticed there is a new firmware for the J3 that was released yesterday =D

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #221 of 3,200
@ Xephyr, I'm stoked for you! You're going to have a great time getting to know it. I agree on the data port "flap" comment. I'm not going to concern myself though. I figure, my others players don't have a flap and they've been fine. So, if it comes off, fine. x2 on the manual comment. Where in hell can I get a complete UI guide?!

A Plus: I'm loving the J3, everyone. Everyday I find something new that wows me. Yesterday, I learned that from the music player's contextual menu (tap the Artist/Title menu bar for a submenu drop-down and then tap the EQ icon) you can change the EQ profile without backing out to the main menu and then into settings. Very very convenient, thoughtful and cool.

A Minus: We're still on our honeymoon, but we had our first spat. Embarrassingly, I haven't gotten the sleep function to work without a hitch yet. Is it me, the settings not making sense, the code? I dunno. Perhaps I need to just try it while listening to music. Anyway, I set it to sleep in 120 minutes and fell asleep to Iron Man. When I got up, the J3 was dead. I couldn't wake it up. I indulged in a quick little freak out session, and then put it down and approached cautiously in a couple minutes.

To get it to power up, I had to hold in the reset button and then press power. I'm an IT pro in "real life" so it only took me a couple minutes to stuff my emotions and remind myself it's just a "system". Still, What? And where's that particularly helpful tip in the guide? Yeah. Nowhere. BTW, no data loss from the "soft" reset procedure.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #222 of 3,200
Someone said the manual is on cowonglobal and did you update your firmware??  I am slowly starting to convert my CD collection into FLAC...it is going to be a loooooooong process but definitely worth it though (and definitely need a 32GB micro SD when it becomes cheaper).  I am using JetAudio to do all the converting (highest quality encode in FLAC and hopefully it is the best >_>), do you recommend another program to do the ripping?  BTW I am having trouble creating a playlist on my PC and importing it into the J3 I don't know if it is a format issue or what.

BTW, this thing is damn light, it barely has any weight to it when you pick it up...and yeah it is a finger magnet but whatever =D  probably going to get a case for it sometime in the future.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #223 of 3,200

Grr. I haven't run the firmware update yet. I plan to this weekend. Thanks for the cowonglobal tip. Yeah, the FLAC conversion's fun idnit? :wink:

My prediction: One year. Costco. Sandisk MicroSDHC 32GB 2 Pak - $29.99. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Someone said the manual is on cowonglobal and did you update your firmware??  I am slowly starting to convert my CD collection into FLAC...it is going to be a loooooooong process but definitely worth it though (and definitely need a 32GB micro SD when it becomes cheaper).  I am using JetAudio to do all the converting (highest quality encode in FLAC and hopefully it is the best >_>), do you recommend another program to do the ripping?  BTW I am having trouble creating a playlist on my PC and importing it into the J3 I don't know if it is a format issue or what.

BTW, this thing is damn light, it barely has any weight to it when you pick it up...and yeah it is a finger magnet but whatever =D  probably going to get a case for it sometime in the future.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #224 of 3,200
Can anyone confirm if it can do OTF playlist(s)?

I always listen to full albums on my own but I've discovered that I wish my Sony had
OTF playlists when using the player through a stereo or boombox in a social setting.

Also, can anyone compare the sound quality to the Sony S639 or A7xx or A8xx series? Is the EQ useful, like on the Sonys?

Quote:

If it behave as previous Cowon (most likely), yes, Favorites is equivalent of on-the-fly playlist. U cant create multiple OTF playlists but can create multiple playlist via pc. Too bad for that (and OTF playlist has file limits too)

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #225 of 3,200

Quote:
Grr. I haven't run the firmware update yet. I plan to this weekend. Thanks for the cowonglobal tip. Yeah, the FLAC conversion's fun idnit? :wink:

My prediction: One year. Costco. Sandisk MicroSDHC 32GB 2 Pak - $29.99. 
wink_face.gif

Let's hope lol I would stock up on those if it were that cheap ^_^  Need to actually buy some of the CDs that I have gotten from coughothercough sources so I can listen to them on FLAC =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back