Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #226 of 3,200

[size=9pt] Added & Improved features

[/size]
- Added COMIX which is a comic book viewer.
- Added stopwatch.
- Improved speed and performance of Matrix browser.
- Improved touch sensitivity of UI.
- Changed the way of moving in Main Menu1.
a3_img_dot.gif

[size=9pt] Fixed bugs

[/size]
- Fixed the error that some images freeze in Matrix browser.
- Fixed the error that setting value was canceled while setting alram.
- Fixed the error of FF, REW buttons after screen is on/off in Radio Mode.

Quote:
Grr. I haven't run the firmware update yet. I plan to this weekend. Thanks for the cowonglobal tip. Yeah, the FLAC conversion's fun idnit? :wink:

My prediction: One year. Costco. Sandisk MicroSDHC 32GB 2 Pak - $29.99. 
wink_face.gif

Let's hope lol I would stock up on those if it were that cheap ^_^  Need to actually buy some of the CDs that I have gotten from coughothercough sources so I can listen to them on FLAC =D

BTW, have you figured out a way to delete files on the go??  I know when you are in the browser, there is a X on the bottom but I can't click it all the time, seems like it only works when you add files to your favorite/bookmark.

One last thing...does it make a difference if I rip my CD via Winamp or JetAudio??

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #227 of 3,200

Quote:
My J3 just arrive and wow is it nice ^_^  Only two complaints though, it is a pain in the butt to open the little handle on the bottom to access the microSD and the USB port and the manual sux!! :p

And another thing, I don't know why but my OS doesn't show the "safely remove device" option for my J3...it isn't even listed >_>

O and I just noticed there is a new firmware for the J3 that was released yesterday =D

About the flap: I've found that if I put my index fingernail in the notch and run it along the bottom of the flap all the way to the other end, the other end is released and the flap opens.

If no "safely remove device" icon shows up, right clicking on the drive in the file manager (Explorer, for Windows) and choosing Eject should allow you to remove the device safely.

I just installed firmware, and it was easier than I expected.  After downloading and unzipping the firmware files, I copied them into the J3's root directory, and when I turned it on, the installation happened.  It shut itself off after the installation, which was a tense moment, but I turned it on again and everything was fine.  This is all spelled out on the firmware download page, too.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #228 of 3,200
I found out the reason why, apparently when I set it to MSC it won't show up to safely remove (I can basically plug it in and out) but I found out that the IDTags won't show right on the J3...MTP works fine though and the "safely remove device" option shows up, weird but whatever, as long as it works.

As for the flap, I don't have long fingernails so it gets a bit annoying but I will try your method.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #229 of 3,200
@ Xephyr, thanks for posting the firmware information!

1. I haven't figured out delete on the go. It behaves the same way for me. Not a problem yet, but a weirdity.
  2. The tool you use won't matter. I've been using Foobar v 1.03 and it's wonderful.
  3. I use MSC mode and tags are good and I receive the Safely Remove app in the system tray.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #234 of 3,200
Can anyone confirm for sure about on the fly playlists for this player?

(and/or about sound quality compared to the Sonys?)

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if it can do OTF playlist(s)?

I always listen to full albums on my own but I've discovered that I wish my Sony had
OTF playlists when using the player through a stereo or boombox in a social setting.

Also, can anyone compare the sound quality to the Sony S639 or A7xx or A8xx series? Is the EQ useful, like on the Sonys?

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #236 of 3,200

Quote:
I though it did but where can I buy it? Everywhere I look it only comes in white.

Quote:
Amazon or Jetmall has the 8gb black but tbh you are better off getting the 32GB if you got the money it is definitely worth it ^_^

Sorry to say, but Jetmall.net and Amazon.com only have the white in stock for the 8gb model. Still, it's damn fine looking in white anyways,..............

PS: Don't forget that Amazon.com is 99% positive for free S&H.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #238 of 3,200

Quote:
Amazon sent me an email, my 32GB J3 will arrive on or around June 24. Sending the 16GB back soon. Very happy to get the 32GB model after using the 16GB model for 2-3 weeks. Excellent player, and to me at least, superior to the Sony X.

I didn't think it was superior to the X at all. It had a totally different sound signature which was very nice, but not superior to my ears, just different. I had the S9 too, and the J3 sounded pretty much identical to the S9 when the EQ was applied (but the J3 sounded better for some reason on a flat setting than the S9).

So, do you prefer your J3 to your amp3? I think you had two versions if I remember correctly. Do you still have both?

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #240 of 3,200
Quote:
The only thing that really turns me off is the fact that it's still being reported that the S9 and J3 have the same SQ. I don't like the sound sig of the S9 all that much.

I've been following the J3 since the rumors started to date. I don't know where you are getting this idea from... everything I've read is users saying the J3 beats their S9 when both using a flat EQ. (An example of this is on the next page in soozieq's post.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xephyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
do you recommend another program to do the ripping? 
<snip>

I'll assume you are using windows and recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip your cd's. What's important to any software, is the settings.
Here's a guide that will help you create flawless FLAC rips using EAC. http://blowfish.be/eac/
To get a perfect rip takes time and isn't straight forward but it's worth it.

Once you've set up EAC, to actually burn a disc here's what I do.
Enter the disc (duh) and wait until it comes up with the correct information, Press F4 to detect the gaps.
Then I create a Noncompliant CUE file, followed with pressing Shift + F6 to test and copy a compressed file, once it's done without any errors create the .log file. Ta-da :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back