Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,937 of 3,200

Quote:
The bad software design is what really bothers me.  It ruins such potential.

What kind of software? You mean the computer software, or just the J3's UI?

May 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,938 of 3,200

Quote:
The bad software design is what really bothers me.  It ruins such potential.

What kind of software? You mean the computer software, or just the J3's UI?

May 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,940 of 3,200

Quote:
I mean on the device itself of course.  There are so many glitches and so much lack in customization (not talking about skins) that I've actually been lazy to list it all.

Have you tried any of the user made UI's? There's a ton of selections, and Chakra/Lynx lets you customize it a lot. I agree that the default Cowon UI is really bland.

May 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,941 of 3,200
Seems to me like you expect quite a bit out of something that uses what is essentially Flash for its UI...

But then, I haven't interacted with the J3's original UI beyond hitting the "Music" button in the main menu and going straight into Aero Music ever since AM was released, so I might just be out of touch.

-- Griffinhart

May 7, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,942 of 3,200
neither me!... i consider that it is not necesarry to have lots of skins and customizations, as the cowon ui is good itself...

and afterall, i am using lynx and aero music, which are pretty customizable....

why would cowon want lots of ui that are not so good? they have only one, that really is good, and afterall the player itself is audiophile, and is meant to be for music, not for look..... maybe you would like an android based device!....

May 7, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #1,943 of 3,200
Guys, I'm talking about song setlist options like on the Zune and options like how much time it takes for it to go to sleep or for the screen to dim, etc...  There are custom UI's that have more options than the original?  It's not just a different looks and navigation?

May 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,944 of 3,200

Aero Music adds the following features:
- Multiple on-the-fly playlists
- EQ Editor with preset names
- Mini queue (select the next track to be played)
- LRC and TXT lyrics support (yeah, I know, the J3 has native LRC support for some weeks, but I heard it sucks)
- Horizontal music UI (replaces Cowon's crappy coverflow; el maco's flow browser is supported, so you get a better coverflow implementation)
- Access to all music-related options
- Maybe other stuff I forgot to mention

Lynx adds the following features:
- Event Manager
- Custom icons (links to third-party applications on the mainmenu, such as Flash games)
- Folders (similar to the iOS 4 folder feature)
- Widgets (better widgets than Cowon's ones)
- Autoplay of Music on startup
- Security (Android-like pattern, password, auto-lock after 5 wrong inputs)
- PlugIn support so third-party developers can add more features
- Access to features like brightness, sleep timer, bluetooth,...

May 7, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #1,945 of 3,200

Quote:

- LRC and TXT lyrics support (yeah, I know, the J3 has native LRC support for some weeks, but I heard it sucks)
- Horizontal music UI (replaces Cowon's crappy coverflow; el maco's flow browser is supported, so you get a better coverflow implementation)

- Event Manager
- Custom icons (links to third-party applications on the mainmenu, such as Flash games)

Ok its finished, if i dont find time to install aero music this weekend i will kill my self!
eek.gif

May 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,946 of 3,200

Quote:

- Event Manager

Wow, thank you.  I'm guessing that with both, all default features remain because I pretty much use all the Cowon features. 

Using the default J3 interface, I've arranged icons the way I like and it takes a while to lay everything out like that.  How do I save/revert back to how I have it now just in case?  It can't just be to the default like brand new.  Thanks :)  I think my love for my Cowon J3 might increase very shortly. 

May 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,947 of 3,200
Since you don't Cowon's interface (you just override it) if you install UCIs, you can easily go back to the default by deleting the UCI's files. Example: In order to delete Lynx, you have to delete 'mainmenuN.swf' (N = Number of mainmenu), 'lynx_settings.swf', 'lynx_lock.swf' and some other files with similar names. That's it. :)

May 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #1,948 of 3,200

Quote:
Since you don't Cowon's interface (you just override it) if you install UCIs, you can easily go back to the default by deleting the UCI's files. Example: In order to delete Lynx, you have to delete 'mainmenuN.swf' (N = Number of mainmenu), 'lynx_settings.swf', 'lynx_lock.swf' and some other files with similar names. That's it. :)

Ah, I see.  So if I install Aero Music, all I'll have to do is delete its files and it'll be exactly as it was before I installed it?  How are setting changes saved in the UCI?  Doesn't it have to overwrite some default Cowon J3 UI settings if they're linked or it's not the way it works?  It just saves over the additional installed files of itself?  Sorry for being overly cautious. 

May 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #1,949 of 3,200
Every UCI can create its own setting files, the so-called SOL files. They can be found in /System/Flash UI/SOL/.
So there's no need to overwrite any of Cowon's settings. :wink:

"So if I install Aero Music, all I'll have to do is delete its files and it'll be exactly as it was before I installed it?"

Yes.

May 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,950 of 3,200

Quote:
Every UCI can create its own setting files, the so-called SOL files. They can be found in /System/Flash UI/SOL/.
So there's no need to overwrite any of Cowon's settings. :wink:

"So if I install Aero Music, all I'll have to do is delete its files and it'll be exactly as it was before I installed it?"

Yes.

Ok, thank you very much!  I'm glad this works intelligently, lol.  And.. you made Aero Music?  :)

PS- I just paste all the files and folder into the Flash UI folder right?  XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back