Comply Tips Review
Jun 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #76 of 182
Though I do love the comply foam tips, I have actually found that I enjoy the stock foam shure tips much better. I feel that they are a more high density foam which helps them to stay in your ear without feeling hot.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #77 of 182
Thought I'd post this since I get so many questions about the 'trimming' technique.
Here are the brand new Brainwavz B2's with the trimmed P-series. Standard size (Large).

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #79 of 182

Quote:
Read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/304963/fyi-various-iem-s-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-june-26th-2011

Thanks for the visual aid and keeping that post updated.  Even without measurements the P series look noticibly longer, so it looks like my assumptions are correct, though they do look a tad "thinner".  The Shure section on the "new" Comply page only offer one version of them (no "Slim" versus "Standard") so I assume these are all Standard type models.

I'll probably place an order today based on this.  Do with there were an option to order 50% of a package in each color as it has been mentioned in a different thread just to make it blatantly obvious which side is which, but depending on how well my own results are, I'd probably just order a secondary set in the other available color to make a larger complete set.

Again, thanks for the link.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #80 of 182
That's what I do, though I order a set of each. They're not overly expensive and, obviously, they don't go bad just sitting around. That being said, I decided to try the new olive-tip styled ones this time and those only come in black.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 182

Quote:
Thought I'd post this since I get so many questions about the 'trimming' technique.
Here are the brand new Brainwavz B2's with the trimmed P-series. Standard size (Large).

Hey Shane thanks for the pics. I now see what you mean by cutting them right to the nozzle. You seem to have the "cut" down. Is there any particular way you measure before cutting?  I tried this twice by placing them on the phone feeling for the nozzle and pinching where I would cut. both times they were too long. I know this should be a simple process but was wondering if you had a special trick Thanks

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #82 of 182
My friend... it is nothing more than using the tiny scissors on a swiss-army knife. They have to be clean (of course).
The object is not to cut across the foam tip, but to cut in a ring around the tip. One scissor point goes into the opening of the tip, the other is on the outside. I make a pilot cut, on an angle, down to the core... like this / (but maybe at 45 degrees). I keep the flat surface of the scissors horizontal - for-and-aft. When I get to the core I level it out (like a plane landing on a runway) and continue all the way around.

Reading what I just typed, it makes sense to me... but it might not to anyone else.
redface.gif

So let me know if it isn't clear and I'll try to post some process shots.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #83 of 182
Quote:
I like to mod the comply tips as I read around here somewhere. It was to cut off (w/ scissors) the extra ends of the tips that come after the filters (if you get the black/filtered comply tips). It gives me the best sound.

This removes the high end cut T-series and P-series can cause if seated deep enough. It's caused by this extra foam closing the tip exit. Highly recommended.
In fact this high end cut happens with almost all tips if the IEM nozzle is wider than the tip exit. (tip resonances of certain silicones notwithstanding)

Note: I can't insert deep anything larger than small T-100 or slim P. Small ear canals. T-200 are medium-deep insertion - at most up to the tip length.
Here you have a look at slim P vs standard P: http://sonusmobile.pl/pol_m_Akcesoria_Pianki-Comply_Seria-P-121.html
The main difference is the amount of foam.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #84 of 182

Quote:
My friend... it is nothing more than using the tiny scissors on a swiss-army knife. They have to be clean (of course).
The object is not to cut across the foam tip, but to cut in a ring around the tip. One scissor point goes into the opening of the tip, the other is on the outside. I make a pilot cut, on an angle, down to the core... like this / (but maybe at 45 degrees). I keep the flat surface of the scissors horizontal - for-and-aft. When I get to the core I level it out (like a plane landing on a runway) and continue all the way around.

Reading what I just typed, it makes sense to me... but it might not to anyone else.
redface.gif

So let me know if it isn't clear and I'll try to post some process shots.

Got it Shane Thank You for your kindness and time. I will attempt surgery this afternoon 
redface.gif
 I new you had a method after seeing those clean cuts. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #85 of 182

Quote:
I would have to check with the team, so don't quote me on this, but we don't have any plans to shrink the P-Series tips as far as I know. The P-Series Slim Small is pretty tiny, so if we were to make it smaller, it may completely change the isolation, comfort, etc. I admit, though, that I'm not an engineer. Perhaps the Ts-Series in Small may be a good option for you after you finish with the P-Series.
We have an active 25% off coupon code right now that will last through the middle of next week. The code is: FIREWORKS
Just throwing it out there.

Disregard my complaint.  After spending some more time with them, they're freaking awesome.  They're still a TINY bit big for my ridiculously small canals, but overall they are super comfortable--what I didn't realize is that they really do take a while to warm up to my body temperature, and they really get more comfortable. That wasn't an issue with the T-series for me. The level of isolation with them is superb.  I wish you guys made them for larger canal'd 'phones--I just got a set of Munitio 9mms in, and the canals on them are HUGE.  I'm going to order some T-series today, since you guys have the coupon and all.  :) 

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #86 of 182
Great! Glad to hear the tips and your ears are getting along.
I ordered a set from Munitio last week, so I should be able to get them in the testing queue later this week. We'll see what they engineers have to say.
We're constantly bringing in new earphones to test for compatibility, but new brands and models of earphones sprout up seemingly every day. It can be tough to keep up.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 182
Just received two 5-pair packages of P-Series tips (black and platinum) that I ordered late last week.  P-Series "depth" wise has to be + ~40% than the Shure large olives I was using which is a huge plus for me personally (and my giant head/ear canals), so that's good.  They're a hair smaller at the base.   Have them in now and will report back.  The "memory foam" takes longer to expand out than the Shure foams, but they seem to be doing fine.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #90 of 182

Users who are viewing this thread

Back