Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #61 of 4,373
Quote:
How does the Momentum fair for movie watching?

Pretty good actually. I use them in my bed-side rig and I've watched a few movies on my iPad/Netflix with them and really enjoyed what I heard.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #62 of 4,373
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #64 of 4,373
Well, I've got a pair of KEF M500s inbound. Once received and I give them a thorough listen, I'll make sure to update my original post.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #65 of 4,373
Quote:
Well, I've got a pair of KEF M500s inbound. Once received and I give them a thorough listen, I'll make sure to update my original post.

Oooh I'm really looking forward to that one. I have my eye on the KEF M500s.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #66 of 4,373
Quote:

Oooh I'm really looking forward to that one. I have my eye on the KEF M500s.

Hopefully it'll be here in a week or two. I'll post my findings as soon as I've given them a thorough listening.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #67 of 4,373
Already have the M500s and I have the Momentums and PSB M4U 1s on the way, so I guess I would be able to provide any counterpoint to your findings! :p

(why is it that I must keep trying headphones even though I really do have my "end game" pairs?!?!?! LOL! --- here's me looking at you too sir!!!)

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #68 of 4,373
think of it as providing a community service 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #69 of 4,373
Quote:
Already have the M500s and I have the Momentums and PSB M4U 1s on the way, so I guess I would be able to provide any counterpoint to your findings! :p

(why is it that I must keep trying headphones even though I really do have my "end game" pairs?!?!?! LOL! --- here's me looking at you too sir!!!)

I've got a pair of SR-009s, HD800s, LCD-3s and TH-900s. But with some major house renovations, they've been sitting in our guest room for about six weeks. So I've turned my focus this summer on portable headphones to keep myself busy.

Not sure this will keep up when the renovations are done in 2 weeks, but its been a fun ride. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #70 of 4,373
This may come as a shock, but I auditioned (and saw in real life) the AT M50 for the first time 2 days ago. (mostly because it's impossible to find in Frankfurt and I'm on holiday in London right now)
I was more than pleasantly surprised and would seriously like to see it added to the list here. (no pressure 
wink.gif
)

I know it's almost the default headphone of recommendation around here, but after a good listen I don't think there's a reason it shouldn't be added here. Just for value for money's sake.

Also very much looking forward to the impressions on the KEF.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #71 of 4,373
Quote:
This may come as a shock, but I auditioned (and saw in real life) the AT M50 for the first time 2 days ago. (mostly because it's impossible to find in Frankfurt and I'm on holiday in London right now)
I was more than pleasantly surprised and would seriously like to see it added to the list here. (no pressure 
wink.gif
)

I know it's almost the default headphone of recommendation around here, but after a good listen I don't think there's a reason it shouldn't be added here. Just for value for money's sake.

Also very much looking forward to the impressions on the KEF.

What is it that everybody likes about the ath m50?

I honestly hated it. I had even given up listening to music while i had them.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #72 of 4,373
Quote:

It's not a balanced sound by any stretch of the imagination, but it covers the most popular genres very well, which is anything with a greater bass presence. 
Still there were no extremely emphasised frequencies. Overall a smooth response. 
Also I was very impressed with the resolution.
All in the context of it's price point of course, and that it's a closed-back headphone. So many closed-backs just sound wrong.
I think out of 10 where 5 is not right or wrong, the M50 is more like a 6 as it does more right than it does wrong. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #73 of 4,373
Quote:
It's not a balanced sound by any stretch of the imagination, but it covers the most popular genres very well, which is anything with a greater bass presence. 
Still there were no extremely emphasised frequencies. Overall a smooth response. 
Also I was very impressed with the resolution.
All in the context of it's price point of course, and that it's a closed-back headphone. So many closed-backs just sound wrong.
I think out of 10 where 5 is not right or wrong, the M50 is more like a 6 as it does more right than it does wrong. 

No wonder they sucked that hard when i used them to listen to rammstein. Damn the m50 fans who blatantly recommend it.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #74 of 4,373
Quote:

Quote:
It's not a balanced sound by any stretch of the imagination

I am so glad that I have my ears and not other peoples...

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #75 of 4,373
Wow this thread is exactly I was looking for. I can't really afford to lug around my desktop set up anymore, and I've been finding IEMs and even CIEMs really irritating to wear.

MH, have you tried the Polk Audio Ultra Focus 8000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back