Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #76 of 4,373
Quote:
Wow this thread is exactly I was looking for. I can't really afford to lug around my desktop set up anymore, and I've been finding IEMs and even CIEMs really irritating to wear.

MH, have you tried the Polk Audio Ultra Focus 8000?

Sorry I haven't...I'd like too. I'll try and track down a pair for an audition.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #78 of 4,373
MH, how effective would you say is M4U 2's noise-cancelling when compared to the QC-15? 

The noise cancelling capability is better than say the UE9000, but the QC5s are in a league of their own with regards to noise cancelling. It's really shocking just how good they are and how much noise they block out.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #79 of 4,373
Quote:
I am so glad that I have my ears and not other peoples...

But if you had other people's ears, they would fit into a pair of Momentums and you'd stop calling Momentum users midgets, dwarfs or smurfs.... and you might even like them.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #81 of 4,373
Quote:
But if you had other people's ears, they would fit into a pair of Momentums and you'd stop calling Momentum users midgets, dwarfs or smurfs

Please show me where I called Momentum users midgets, dwarfs and smurfs.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #82 of 4,373
Quote:

Please show me where I called Momentum users midgets, dwarfs and smurfs.

Sorry - I confused you with another headfier with a nickname starting with 'B' that keeps posting the same comments about ears. 

You did say on the Momentum review thread that only baby ears could fit inside. That's probably why I made the confusion. 
redface.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #84 of 4,373
Quote:
Are you going to update your list with the KEF M500? Curious how you like it compared to the Momentum...

Most definitely. They just arrived in Canada (though in Vancouver...across the country as I'm in Toronto). Hopefully they'll be here by the end of the week (to coincide with the completion of our kitchen renovation...2 months of hell!).

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #85 of 4,373
Just to "throw it out there"... to my ears, KEF > PSB M4U 1 > Sony MDR-1R
(still haven't gotten the Momentums...)

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #86 of 4,373
Got the Momentum's on the mail... have to pick them up tomorrow.
Definitely, the PSB M4U 1s are a bit underwhelming. Been listening to them non-stop since yesterday.
They are pleasant sounding but something's missing (apart from more powerful sub-bass performance!).
Sometimes I find them a bit strident, and I don't think they match well with fast rock/metal.

So, the KEF's to my ears are better and my previous "rating" still stands!
Can't wait to listen to the Senns!

@MacedonianHero Did you get the KEFs yet? :wink:

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #87 of 4,373
So still waiting on my KEF M500 headphones to arrive. Hopefully should be here late this week, early next week. But in the meantime I picked up a pair of the new 2013 Beats Studios to add to my comparisons. I know, I know, but I wanted to do a full comparison with some of the most popular headphones out there....that and the Apple Store has a 14 day return policy (so I'm covered either way). It was the review I came across Sound and Vision Magazine that made me give them a try (I'm trying to keep an open mind here 
size]
).

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/08/04/review-beats-new-studio

Initial impressions are they don't suck like the originals 
size]
 and the styling (while still a bit flashy) is quite a bit more streamlined and less garish. They're smaller and more comfortable than the originals too. Sonically, they still bring the bass, but unlike the originals, I don't hear a complete smudge that envelopes the bass and mids...and they actually have treble (imagine that? 
size]
). More in line with the Momentums in that style. I'm NOT saying that they're better or as good as the Momentums, just that their bass (and how it blends with the mids) reminds me of the Sennheisers. 

Compared to my buddy's Beats Executive, they're fairly close sonically, BUT the damn hiss of the noise cancelling on the Executives is drastically toned down here....a very good thing IMO. That hiss really, really got on my nerves. Heck it was so loud that I could even hear it during not so loud passages in my music. Thankfully they learned from their mistakes with that one.

More to come...

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #88 of 4,373
Hahahaha
You know that before replying to this thread (post previous to yours) I was actually getting done reading that S&V review!!?!?!?! LOL
How about that!?!

They still seem to be mid-bass oriented though, how is their sub-bass performance?
I noticed a couple of peaks up-top too, do they get harsh?
I'd definitely try them but... maybe later :wink:

(when I sell all of these I'm testing now :p)

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #89 of 4,373
Quote:
Hahahaha
You know that before replying to this thread (post previous to yours) I was actually getting done reading that S&V review!!?!?!?! LOL
How about that!?!

They still seem to be mid-bass oriented though, how is their sub-bass performance?
I noticed a couple of peaks up-top too, do they get harsh?
I'd definitely try them but... maybe later :wink:

(when I sell all of these I'm testing now :p)

Sub bass is better than the old Studios (it's actually there)....more to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back