Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #47 of 4,373
Quote:
But it does say that I'm fully aware just how good headphones can sound.

It's the best yardstick. If you've heard the best, then you have an idea how near or far other headphones are from the benchmark, or how well some headphones are at communicating music, regardless of price.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #48 of 4,373
Quote:
Helpful review.

Also the headphones you mentioned arent exactly in the same range as these if you know what I mean. I have heard headphones worse and better than beats and thats really what matters for comparing them. e.g. Comparing beats to the pro dj100 is its own thing, regardless of what other high end headphones that have been listened to .

Obviously anyone can have an opinion about how a particular piece of equipment sound like. With MacedonianHero's experience and contributions to HeadFi, his opinion does have more validity and relevance than someone with limited experience. Check out MH profile and posts in the past, then maybe you might understand that credibility and respect is something you earned.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #49 of 4,373
After reading the last page of comments I was even more eager to audition the Beats Executive, which I managed to get done today.

I have to say I was also somewhat impressed (don't hold your breath). It's a big step up from the old beats headphones, and better than the previous 'high-end' "Detox" headphone. 
To put things into some perspective, it sounds even better than the new Monster headphones (Tears, etc) too - although to be frank that isn't a great achievement 
redface.gif

I wouldn't place it higher than the UE9000 in sound quality (I'm comparing to the normal model, not the NC variant, as I havn't heard it).
There was a quiet but constant hissing in the active noise cancellation that automatically puts it below even the Bose QC15 in my books (in terms of value as a package) - I'm hoping this was a faulty model, because it was BAAAAAAD.
The typical 'beats bass boom' is almost gone, but there is still a lot to be desired in bass resolution and control.
Also I found the treble to be quite hot and fatiguing. 
The low mid-range also sounded a bit honky and slightly emphasised.

On the whole it's easily the most enjoyable and musical beats headphone out there but I wouldn't pay half it's asking price unless that NC hissing is taken care of. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #50 of 4,373
Quote:
After reading the last page of comments I was even more eager to audition the Beats Executive, which I managed to get done today.

I have to say I was also somewhat impressed (don't hold your breath). It's a big step up from the old beats headphones, and better than the previous 'high-end' "Detox" headphone. 
To put things into some perspective, it sounds even better than the new Monster headphones (Tears, etc) too - although to be frank that isn't a great achievement 
redface.gif

I wouldn't place it higher than the UE9000 in sound quality (I'm comparing to the normal model, not the NC variant, as I havn't heard it).
There was a quiet but constant hissing in the active noise cancellation that automatically puts it below even the Bose QC15 in my books (in terms of value as a package) - I'm hoping this was a faulty model, because it was BAAAAAAD.
The typical 'beats bass boom' is almost gone, but there is still a lot to be desired in bass resolution and control.
Also I found the treble to be quite hot and fatiguing. 
The low mid-range also sounded a bit honky and slightly emphasised.

On the whole it's easily the most enjoyable and musical beats headphone out there but I wouldn't pay half it's asking price unless that NC hissing is taken care of. 

I was impressed too...for a Beats headphone that is. Actually I've got my buddy's Beat's Executive back today and I've just revised my original scoring and rankings. 
size]
 If one must own a Beats headphone, these are the ones to get though.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #51 of 4,373
I don't know why the Beats are bashed here so much, yeah yeah I know about the "machine" behind the hype, their business, etc. but still, I found the "Pros" to sound good enough. Anyway, never tried the Executives even though I had a chance to because I frankly wasn't interested in the "degradation" brought by the Noise Cancelling feature.

I was on the fence a few months ago to try the PSB M4U2 because I liked how the white and gray version looked!! (LOL... yep, I'm like that...) This is almost convincing me to try them. I doubt they will best any of the headphones I have sound quality wise but, I'm intrigued... ...

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 4,373
Quote:
I don't know why the Beats are bashed here so much, yeah yeah I know about the "machine" behind the hype, their business, etc. but still, I found the "Pros" to sound good enough. Anyway, never tried the Executives even though I had a chance to because I frankly wasn't interested in the "degradation" brought by the Noise Cancelling feature.

I was on the fence a few months ago to try the PSB M4U2 because I liked how the white and gray version looked!! (LOL... yep, I'm like that...) This is almost convincing me to try them. I doubt they will best any of the headphones I have sound quality wise but, I'm intrigued... ...

Initially the Studios were their one and only headphone....and they were pretty horrible for the $. More costume jewelry than audio gear. So they got a bad name and that's hard to shake. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #53 of 4,373
Quote:

redface.gif

Diamond Tears is one of the most neutral and balanced portable cans out there.

Quote:
I don't know why the Beats are bashed here so much

Maybe because they suck and there are way better options for the money?

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #55 of 4,373
You tend to think music when you use the DT, as opposed to bass, mids, treble et al. There is no bass, treble, upper midrange on these. No excitement at all. Flat. Dead.

But that is in contrast with other cans that hype something. I think you catch what I am trying to get across. How do they say it, no sins of omission or commission?

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #56 of 4,373
Quote:
You tend to think music when you use the DT, as opposed to bass, mids, treble et al. There is no bass, treble, upper midrange on these. No excitement at all. Flat. Dead.

But that is in contrast with other cans that hype something. I think you catch what I am trying to get across. How do they say it, no sins of omission or commission?

Sound very interesting. I'll chase down a pair to listen to. Thanks Dave.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #57 of 4,373
Yeah, I agree. Diamond Tears are actually quite fantastic. I hate the styling though. They are also a bit over priced in my book. They are not exactly neutral to my ears, but this is all from sonic memory. I recall them having a bit more bass than neutral. Similar to the Momentums, only more exaggerated, but not terribly so. However they weren't as resolving. 

They were still impressive considering I went in with the lowest of low expectations. 

Oh right, and I hate their styling. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #58 of 4,373
Quote:
Diamond Tears is one of the most neutral and balanced portable cans out there.

But they still manage to sound absolutely awful. 
The timbre is just disgusting. Nothing natural about it tonally. 

The low-midrange is slightly bloated and doesn't do any genre justice.
I found the tears sounded the worst out of the new Monster models. Going by resolution alone, none of them deserve even half their price tag.

All IMO of course 
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #59 of 4,373
If you re comparing to the Stax SR-009 you might have a point.  Otherwise....no.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #60 of 4,373
How does the Momentum fair for movie watching?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back