Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 4,373
Your findings almost mirror my experience.

I wouldn't put the PSB so closely in 1a'st place though but ONLY because I would have added another column for 'looks/aesthetics'.
And the PSB just looks ridiculous on the head - looking straight towards someone's face, the headband just sticks out so far... I couldn't keep a straight face when looking at myself with them on 
biggrin.gif

Maybe a close 2nd behind the MDR-1R for me.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #18 of 4,373
Hello!

Nice comparison! I have actually tried the M4U2, MDR-1R as well as the Momentum and done a comparison : http://www.head-fi.org/t/647465/mystery-unclosed-modern-closed-headphones-compared-sennheiser-hd598-update-psb-m4u2-added-7-5-13 and I was surprised to see this thread! :D

Anyway, I actually kind of prefer the MDR-1R over the Momentum in terms of sound signature. The MDR-1R have a more forward mids, wider soundstage, tighter bass to me, and so on but I do agree with you that the 1R are not good for portable use if you put it next to the Momentum. The Momentum also have a more natural timbre. Overall, I do not quite like the bassy nature of Momentum but preferred the more forward mids of 1R.

Of corse I do agree the M4U2 as one of the best portable headphone! It is also one of the best reference headphone in my opinion.

Well done! :D
Billson :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #19 of 4,373
Quote:
Hello!

Nice comparison! I have actually tried the M4U2, MDR-1R as well as the Momentum and done a comparison : http://www.head-fi.org/t/647465/mystery-unclosed-modern-closed-headphones-compared-sennheiser-hd598-update-psb-m4u2-added-7-5-13 and I was surprised to see this thread!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I actually kind of prefer the MDR-1R over the Momentum in terms of sound signature. The MDR-1R have a more forward mids, wider soundstage, tighter bass to me, and so on but I do agree with you that the 1R are not good for portable use if you put it next to the Momentum. The Momentum also have a more natural timbre. Overall, I do not quite like the bassy nature of Momentum but preferred the more forward mids of 1R.

Of corse I do agree the M4U2 as one of the best portable headphone! It is also one of the best reference headphone in my opinion.

Well done!
biggrin.gif

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man. Didn't see your thread before, but very nice read!

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 4,373
Quote:
Those are two that I still need to hear. Good to see some great speaker manufacturers like PSB, MartinLogan, KEF and Paradigm getting into the headphone market.

I think Martin Logan were accurate when they said they (wanted to) put their speaker sound into a set of headphones....detail, tight extended bass, and clear, open treble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And the PSB just looks ridiculous on the head ...

Where else are you gonna put them?

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 4,373
Added the Beats Executive headphones lent to me for the past few days by a very good friend of mine. And I'm surprised...they don't suck!

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 4,373
Added the Beats Executive headphones lent to me for the past few days by a very good friend of mine. And I'm surprised...they don't suck!

Whuttt! They beat out DT1350 & UE9000? That's surprising!
If I have the chance, I must try it out!

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 4,373
I have tested the UE9000 a few months back but in total passive mode, with a cable instead of Bluetooth. It's a lot heavier than the UE6000 and the UE9000 are much bigger. In terms of SQ, the UE6000 are ted clearer.

With that, do you think that the UE6000 are better than the Beats Executive? Just curious hehe

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #26 of 4,373
Quote:
I ab'd them with the studios and thought they sounded exactly the same. Except the executives had some weird hissing noise in the back.

Yeah, that's just plainly not how it is. Sorry.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #27 of 4,373
Great write-up MH, very helpful for someone like me who's always interested in great isolating portables! Still very interested in trying the M4U1/2 as well as a bunch of other cans (M-100, M500, etc.)

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #28 of 4,373
Quote:
Great write-up MH, very helpful for someone like me who's always interested in great isolating portables! Still very interested in trying the M4U1/2 as well as a bunch of other cans (M-100, M500, etc.)

Thanks. I'm trying to scout out a pair of the new KEF and Martin Logan headphones now. Since I've got my GS-X MKII in my dynamic rig and my SR-009 rig up and running, I've switched my focus on portable headphones now. My ears and IEMs no longer mix, maybe we can chalk that one up to turning 40 last year, so this journey has been fun.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #29 of 4,373
Yeah, I'm definitely curious what you think of the M500, too. Sonically, they were great; more neutral than the Momentum and a very satisfying alternative. But there is no breathing room for the ears. It was kind of an odd sensation how warm they were. They don't get hot after a while; they felt like you were placing pancakes on your ear...soft, very good sounding, warm pancakes. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #30 of 4,373
Quote:

Where else are you gonna put them?

I know you're trying to be funny but you've missed the point - they look great as they are, but they look stupid when worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back