Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!!
Dec 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #76 of 167

Quote:
OK,
I finally broke down and picked up a pair of DT880 in 600 ohms.
I almost picked up the DT990 in 600 ohm instead, but preferred the neutrality of the DT880s.
Right now my preferred amp for the DT880s is my La Figaro 336C which as most of you know is an OTL amp.
Recommended!

otl works great for high impedance like the beyers. good job on buying the 600 ohm version! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #77 of 167

Quote:
otl works great for high impedance like the beyers. good job on buying the 600 ohm version! 
beerchug.gif

Thank you!
You are too kind!

BTW, I noticed you now have Grado SR-325 AND Grado RS1.
Isn't that just greedy?
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL!

Seriously, it would be nice to hear your comments on the RS1?
Pleeeze?

One more comment.......my Matrix M Stage drives the 600 ohm Beyers just fine.
I set the Matrix M Stage voltage gain to 18 dB.
I just prefer the OTL tube sound.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #78 of 167

Quote:
Thank you!
You are too kind!

BTW, I noticed you now have Grado SR-325 AND Grado RS1.
Isn't that just greedy?
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL!

Seriously, it would be nice to hear your comments on the RS1?
Pleeeze?

One more comment.......my Matrix M Stage drives the 600 ohm Beyers just fine.
I set the Matrix M Stage voltage gain to 18 dB.
I just prefer the OTL tube sound.

lol they sound different. the grado 325 are bright and aggressive while the rs1 are warm and agressive. they are more natural sounding and have a thicker more full sound to them. they are also bassier and punchier. when i hear 325, i imagine airy detailed and open. when i hear rs1, i imagine loud, full, and natural. like a thick analog sound with alot of bass. very fun. they are very punchy also and work great for almost any type of music.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #79 of 167

Quote:

lol they sound different. the grado 325 are bright and aggressive while the rs1 are warm and agressive. they are more natural sounding and have a thicker more full sound to them. they are also bassier and punchier. when i hear 325, i imagine airy detailed and open. when i hear rs1, i imagine loud, full, and natural. like a thick analog sound with alot of bass. very fun. they are very punchy also and work great for almost any type of music.

Thanks for the update.
I tried out some SR-225, 325 and RS-2s for about 1/2 hour in a stereo store a few weeks ago, I almost bought the 325s but couldn't make up my mind and thought if I tried a few more CDs I might change my mind again, so I bought Beyer DT880s instead!

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #80 of 167
i will finally add the d2000 to this thread! 

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #81 of 167
I can't wait to hear your impressions of the D2000.  Thanks for posting your thoughts on all of these great headphones.  I also love my HD650 and Q701 and was thinking about getting the Grado 325is down the line.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #82 of 167
ive actually been thinking of redoing this post and adding song examples and stuff in it too. 

might even add hd 600s or dt 880 - 600 ohms into it too...

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #83 of 167
I completely agree with Dubstep Girl's assessment of the the SR325is, which still remain my "go to" cans for any type of music with live instruments. I'm tempted to give the RS1 a try considering I love the Grado sound, but finding myself wanting something just a bit more on the warm side. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #84 of 167
DG, you should consider getting the Q701. Trust me when I tell you, they are even better than the K701. Warmer, fuller sound, and with some good bass punch. Not as dry and analytical as the K701.

I had a well worn 7 bump K701 which I hated for music. The Q701 was love at first listen, and I plan on getting married to it. :D

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #85 of 167

Quote:
DG, you should consider getting the Q701. Trust me when I tell you, they are even better than the K701. Warmer, fuller sound, and with some good bass punch. Not as dry and analytical as the K701.
I had a well worn 7 bump K701 which I hated for music. The Q701 was love at first listen, and I plan on getting married to it.
biggrin.gif

so you can confirm that the difference is actually noticeable? if its true, i'll sell them and buy the q701. my k701 are near mint and should sell easily lol. i don't listen to the k701 as much because they are a little dry at times. the bass is decent on them, but could use a bit of extra weight.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #86 of 167

Quote:
I completely agree with Dubstep Girl's assessment of the the SR325is, which still remain my "go to" cans for any type of music with live instruments. I'm tempted to give the RS1 a try considering I love the Grado sound, but finding myself wanting something just a bit more on the warm side. 

lol yes!!

listened to some instrumental stuff on them today and i was blown away. more enjoyable than any of my other headphones (dont know about the t1 though).

the rs1 is better than the sr325, but not for everything. due to the warmer sound, they appear to have less detail than the 325, also because they're less bright, it just doesnt feel as open and airy. the detail is the same, just not as pronounced and this can make a difference in some songs.

however, the rs1 do have more weight in the bass and are overall the better can. i keep both because i like their different style. the 325 are very good for their price and stand up to the rs1 pretty well. i was thinking of selling if i buy hd 800s, but i might not. the sr325 are tough to beat. 

if you love grado and want warmth though, the rs1 are right up your alley. you won't be disappointed. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #87 of 167
Yes, as far as I'm concerned, they are definitely not the same as the K701. They are mostly the same, but its like they EQ'd the K701 for more warmth and bass. I wouldn't mistake the two in a blind test, the Q701 is definitely superior. If they were exactly the same before, then its been changed recently. Can't mistake the two.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #88 of 167

Quote:
lol yes!!

listened to some instrumental stuff on them today and i was blown away. more enjoyable than any of my other headphones (dont know about the t1 though).

the rs1 is better than the sr325, but not for everything. due to the warmer sound, they appear to have less detail than the 325, also because they're less bright, it just doesnt feel as open and airy. the detail is the same, just not as pronounced and this can make a difference in some songs.

however, the rs1 do have more weight in the bass and are overall the better can. i keep both because i like their different style. the 325 are very good for their price and stand up to the rs1 pretty well. i was thinking of selling if i buy hd 800s, but i might not. the sr325 are tough to beat. 

if you love grado and want warmth though, the rs1 are right up your alley. you won't be disappointed. 

For some jazz I listen to I wouldn't want to hear it through anything but the SR325is, but for rock and old school R&B I definitely want something a bit warmer and perhaps slightly heavier in the low end. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #89 of 167
Much as I like SR-325i, nobody finds them TOO bright for some music?
That's my biggest problem with the SR-325i, they sound too bright, especially for pianos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back