Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!!
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #91 of 167

Quote:
Much as I like SR-325i, nobody finds them TOO bright for some music?
That's my biggest problem with the SR-325i, they sound too bright, especially for pianos.

they can be too bright. thats why i can't listen to pop, electronic or any poorly recorded music on them. not enough bass, too bright.

but they sound absolutely amazing with classic rock, jazz, instrumentals, vocals, etc. the brightness will bring out the fine details and give everything the extra sparkle it needs.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #92 of 167
i have updated this thread to include the denon d2000 as well as updating some of the details of some of the other headphones i have listed here. i have tried to be as accurate as possible in my descriptions. however, remember i consider this to be just my impressions so that other head-fiers can better pick out the headphone that is best for them. i do not consider myself to be an expert nor do i consider this to be a in-depth review.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #93 of 167
Thanks for your impressions!  Your tastes seem to mirror mine for the most part, so I like to read your thoughts on the different headphones.  It helps me understanding of their differences in sound.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #94 of 167
Nice, nice, very nice.

Thanks for the D2000 update!

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #95 of 167
Good comparison, Dubstep Girl

I love my Grado SR325is but lately I've been listening for like 4-5 hours continuously everyday. The first 2.5 hours are alright but after that my ears start hurting. So I'm looking for a comfortable circum-aural for heavy, fast metal. Any suggestions? I was looking at dt990, but I'm worried the bass might be too overpowering for metal.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #96 of 167

Quote:

I love my Grado SR325is but lately I've been listening for like 4-5 hours continuously everyday. The first 2.5 hours are alright but after that my ears start hurting. So I'm looking for a comfortable circum-aural for heavy, fast metal. Any suggestions? I was looking at dt990, but I'm worried the bass might be too overpowering for metal.

Have you tried the K550? I bet it would be perfect for metal!

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #97 of 167

Quote:

Just my opinion here:
I was listening to a few Aerosmith albums of various vintages a few weeks ago, I wasn't really hearing the music the way I wanted to until I plugged my DT880/600 ohm 'phones into my Matrix M Stage.
I wanted to hear the rasp and crunch of the guitars and the punch and impact of the drums, the DT880/M Stage combo gave me that.  Basically this combo is flat, if anything it may have a touch of midrange emphasis & warmth.
The DT880s are also uber comfortable.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #98 of 167

Quote:

I've been considering replacing my SR325is for the DT990s for comfort reasons as well.  The headphone comparisons in the latest issue of Sound + Vision pretty much convinced me to do just that.  However, I started listening to the Shaft SACD with the SR325is and I'm reminded of why I love these cans so much.  I had to close my for sale ad.  There's no way I could part with these beautiful cans and not regret it.  My schedule doesn't allow me to do 4-5 hours straight anyway.  And if I am afforded the luxury of time on the weekends, depending on the conditions and what I'm currently listening to, I usually listen through my floor speakers or switch to a different headphone. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #99 of 167
the beyers are definitely more comfortable and either the dt 990 or 880 would be an excellent choice for metal. the 880 will have less bass if you feel the 990 might have a bit too much bass for some songs.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #100 of 167

Quote:

I used my Dt990/600 for most of my metal (mostly old black/power metal) listening everynight (6-8 hours per day). They're extremely comfy and I could wear them all day (it's cold now and their function doubles as ear-warming tool :p

The bass is not in anyway overpowering; kick drums never sound that good. The only problem I encounter is that cymbals on some recording sounds very harsh. Not sure if they can really replace the 325is; to me the two have different presentations for metal that I'd like to have both in my possession.

Thanks to this thread any many polarizing comments about the 325is, I had an audition and ended up buying a pair which will arrive on Monday. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #102 of 167

Quote:

I used my Dt990/600 for most of my metal (mostly old black/power metal) listening everynight (6-8 hours per day). They're extremely comfy and I could wear them all day (it's cold now and their function doubles as ear-warming tool :p

The bass is not in anyway overpowering; kick drums never sound that good. The only problem I encounter is that cymbals on some recording sounds very harsh. Not sure if they can really replace the 325is; to me the two have different presentations for metal that I'd like to have both in my possession.

Thanks to this thread any many polarizing comments about the 325is, I had an audition and ended up buying a pair which will arrive on Monday. 

Based on my comparisons (I compared DT880 to DT990 in the shop before I bought them, I only own DT880s , not DT990), the DT880s may solve your harsh treble problems, but they DT880s also have a bit less bass.  I suspect the real problem is that the cymblas are poorly recorded. A bit less treble would only diminish the problem.

You would really have to try a pair of DT880 yourself to see if they do it for you.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #103 of 167
You're right. The badly recorded cymbals hurt my ears, good one sounds really fantastic albeit a bit thin.

I did try the 880 many times and couldn't like its overall signature. My Dt990 gives me painful cymbals only on early Blind Guardian tracks; strangely the 325is solves the cymbals problem in those tracks for me (even though people say 325is is the brightest/most shrill among all headphones).

I'd love to try some tubes on the 990 though. Too bad the 325is ate my budget allocated to tube amp (for now) 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Based on my comparisons (I compared DT880 to DT990 in the shop before I bought them, I only own DT880s , not DT990), the DT880s may solve your harsh treble problems, but they DT880s also have a bit less bass.  I suspect the real problem is that the cymblas are poorly recorded. A bit less treble would only diminish the problem.

You would really have to try a pair of DT880 yourself to see if they do it for you.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #104 of 167

Quote:
You're right. The badly recorded cymbals hurt my ears, good one sounds really fantastic albeit a bit thin.

I did try the 880 many times and couldn't like its overall signature. My Dt990 gives me painful cymbals only on early Blind Guardian tracks; strangely the 325is solves the cymbals problem in those tracks for me (even though people say 325is is the brightest/most shrill among all headphones).

I'd love to try some tubes on the 990 though. Too bad the 325is ate my budget allocated to tube amp (for now) 
tongue.gif

DT880s can be bland on some tracks.  DT990s sound more fun but less accurate, but that's just my opinion.

Speaking of tubes:  DT880 s sound great out of a La Figaro 336C,  I wonder what that amp would do for DT990s?

I've heard the SR-325i a few times, despite all the brightness, I really like them.
I just wonder if I would still like them in a month.........?  Makes me lean towards the RS-2i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back