Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!!
May 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #121 of 167
What would be better for Jazz? Q701 or HD650? I'm assuming the Q701, but also I love the sound of the double bass and bass drum so I might be worried about the Q701s

If you love the sound of the double bass and the bass drum then the Q701s are for you.
I listen to a lot of Jazz and the Qs are my main 'phones for Jazz.

What is wrong with you.  I'm sure dubstep girl doesn't appreciate you tearing her article up.  She never claimed that it was technical and don't try and make people feel bad about their two cents.  People like you are the exact reason why when people think audiophile they think of some snooty jerk that always has to be right about everything.

+1

May 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #122 of 167
Quote:

What is wrong with you.  I'm sure dubstep girl doesn't appreciate you tearing her article up.  She never claimed that it was technical and don't try and make people feel bad about their two cents.  People like you are the exact reason why when people think audiophile they think of some snooty jerk that always has to be right about everything.

+2

DG's posts are some of the ones I put the most stock in. I have about five or six people on a short list who I will almost always read, because I know they have heard many different headphones and they are typically very objective in their assessments. It can be difficult to wade through all the fanboyism and biases that exist on this site, so her posts are always a refreshing read for me....regardless of her findings. 

May 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #123 of 167
If you love the sound of the double bass and the bass drum then the Q701s are for you.
I listen to a lot of Jazz and the Qs are my main 'phones for Jazz.
+1

Brilliant. I found your thoughts (facts) to be correct. Just listened to some Diana Krall at my local HP store and the Qs were a joy to listen to. Also found the Beyer DT990 to be suprisingly good with Jazz. Just didn't like the soundstage and midrange (Diana's brilliant voice!) compared to the AKGs. Also, I tried the Qs with the EF2A at the store so using the Qs with my EF2As should be an even better experience because of better tubes! Can't wait till I get my "Hookup" from my source :wink:

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #124 of 167
lol thanks. 

gonna add pro 900 to the list soon now that they're around the same price.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #125 of 167
I have a question
I want to buy q701 and pair it with matrix m-stage (dac/amp)
I listen to rock and metal and have found sony ex1000 edgy for my taste. does q701 has the same peaky treble? I currently have westone 4r and I wish that it has more treble. I found w4r some kind of veil .

do you think that q701 with m-stage will be a good and safe upgrade in every aspect (in term of quality and quantity)?
sorry, I asked a lot of question.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #126 of 167
Quote:
I have a question
I want to buy q701 and pair it with matrix m-stage (dac/amp)
I listen to rock and metal and have found sony ex1000 edgy for my taste. does q701 has the same peaky treble? I currently have westone 4r and I wish that it has more treble. I found w4r some kind of veil .

do you think that q701 with m-stage will be a good and safe upgrade in every aspect (in term of quality and quantity)?
sorry, I asked a lot of question.

Some people seemed bothered by the Q701 treble.  I don't mind it.  That said, the Q701 isn't usually recommended for Rock or Metal.  I would probably look for different pairs.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #127 of 167
^ yep

i think it does okay in those genres, but theres always something better such as a grado or maybe a beyer.

i dont find the akgs edgy or bright though.

and the sony are probably much more edgier than the akg as well.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #128 of 167
Quote:
^ yep

i think it does okay in those genres, but theres always something better such as a grado or maybe a beyer.

i dont find the akgs edgy or bright though.

and the sony are probably much more edgier than the akg as well.

thanks, I have a reference now
I think that I need a flat FR so my choice is narrowed between sr325is and q701
which one has a better instrument separation and imagine? which one is faster on bass?

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #129 of 167
I really love my Q701 and I do not know why lots of people say it is lack of "bass". Just opposite, I like it's bass and the bass is just "right", not emphasis, not less, just there, very nurture. I like Rock&Roll and I can confidently say that my Q701 has very good performance! The taste is like W4R, everything is right there!

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #130 of 167
Quote:
I really love my Q701 and I do not know why lots of people say it is lack of "bass". Just opposite, I like it's bass and the bass is just "right", not emphasis, not less, just there, very nurture. I like Rock&Roll and I can confidently say that my Q701 has very good performance! The taste is like W4R, everything is right there!

thanks, but I want a headphone that has less bass quantity (and tighter bass) than w4r and more treble (upper mid) than w4r but not as ex1000 (I think that ex1000 has a peak around 5300hz). with great instrument separation and imagine

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #131 of 167
Hello Dubstep Girl,

I've just replied to my Welcome message from Currawong and am brand new to the site.  

I saw your post first and it was very apt, as like I told Currawong, I'm stuck between buying the DT-990's (250ohm) or the Premiums (600ohms) that you own.
I want a pair that are balanced and able to pick out the separate instruments for genres like classical, acoustic guitars, vocals and the like.  

If you know anything about the 250ohm version (also called "Diffuse-field" headphones) I'd very much appreciate any input on them.
I see you are serious about your music with your setup, Tube amps, WOW!  Very nice!

Any knowledge on how these two headphones if you know would be gratefully received.

Happy listening,

Music-Acme.

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amlifier
Yamahs CD-S300 CD player.
Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.
Technics SB-HD350 bookshelf speakers.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #132 of 167
Hello Dubstep Girl,

I've just replied to my Welcome message from Currawong and am brand new to the site.  

I saw your post first and it was very apt, as like I told Currawong, I'm stuck between buying the DT-990's (250ohm) or the Premiums (600ohms) that you own.
I want a pair that are balanced and able to pick out the separate instruments for genres like classical, acoustic guitars, vocals and the like.  

If you know anything about the 250ohm version (also called "Diffuse-field" headphones) I'd very much appreciate any input on them.
I see you are serious about your music with your setup, Tube amps, WOW!  Very nice!

Any knowledge on how these two headphones if you know would be gratefully received.

Happy listening,

Music-Acme.

Yamahs CD-S300 CD player.
Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.
Technics SB-HD350 bookshelf speakers.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #133 of 167
the 600 ohm versions of the dt 990 are much better than the 250 ohm version. the 250 ohm versions tend to have recessed mids and a slightly less refined sound. if you want the best sound, definitely get the 600s. its well worth it once they're properly amped.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #134 of 167
Thanks for the reply Dubstep Girl,

I wish you hadn't said that ... the DT-990 600ohms were much better than the 250ohms version, I just bought the 250ohm Pro's.  I bought them as my "Classy" headphones; to listen to vocals, instrumental, classical, and such.  I find them very much more clean-sounding than my other HP's DT-770 Pro's (Beautiful sounding like the 990 Pro's but more "punchy" bass and fuller/warmer sounding highs etc. due to them being closed instead of open).  

I didn't try the DT-990 Pro's because I didn't want to spend that much on my first proper HP's.  But I'm curious about what you said about "the 250 ohm versions tend to have recessed mids..."

Please can you tell me (or anyone else) what instruments the mids cover.  I take mids to mean vocals but it must cover more than just the voice.  I keep reading mids this and mids that but no-one details what it means, that I have ever read.  
Can you enlighten me about what instruments are in the mids range?  I am curious about this "mids" question.

From reading different posts people say both good and bad about the same phones depending on who writes, so I know it's a subjective thing, but "mids" seems to be an actual quantifiable thing.

I'm very happy with my new HP's, but I find this topic fascinating reading.  
Thanks in advance.

Yamahs CD-S300 CD player
Technics SB-HD350 bookshelf speakers
Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (250ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250ohm)

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #135 of 167
I don't think they're much better, actually. The 250ohm is warmer, and more lively in the bass, though the mids are more recessed for sure. Still it's not a night and day difference. The 600ohm is more behaved and well balanced, though.

I had the 32ohm, 250ohm, Pros, and 600ohm (two of them) all at the same time (with the exception of returning the 32ohm before I got the second 600ohm).

They are all very, very similar. The 32ohm sounds 98% like the 600ohm with less refinement, but still great, and the 250ohm Premium and Pros sound the same... the exact same, just more clamp on the Pros). The two 600ohm DT990s actually sounded different. One of them sounded more like the 250ohm, and the other sounded more balanced, but less bassy.

Beyer has a bad habit of not perfectly matching their headphones. Like owning a horrible pair of 600ohm DT770s that had even more bass than the Pro 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back