Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!!
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #31 of 167
Yes, it is probably a result of distortion and lack of electrical damping.

If you like them that way fair enough but I'd say you're likely never hear what the HP's can do technically which to all intents and purposes defeats having a 'reference' product in the first place.

The bigger and better known manufacturers spend a lot of time and money developing their products, especially their flagship ones. What you do is counterproductive but it is your money and your ears of course.

All this is of course under the proviso that the WOO is indeed a high output impedance Headphone amplifier. I may be completely wrong but I think it is important for other forum users to know the possible negative interaction of badly matched components. Their experience with a different product (amplifier) may be entirely different.

regards

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #32 of 167
I had the Grado 325's and currently have the Senn HD650's. I agree with everything you said except that I personally found the 325's fatiguing for marathon listening. (3-4 hours and up). OTOH, the Senns are like a well broken in easy chair - they are comfy, and easy to listen to for very long periods. And their warm-ish sound sig is like being in grandma's kitchen - familiar, easy, inviting, stress-free. I love 'em!!

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #33 of 167
Drummerman - The WA6-SE is output transformer coupled - so it may well be able to dig deep and drive the 701s well. 

Thanks for the impressions/review, Dubstep girl! You've succeeded in adding things to my shopping list. (I guess my son doesn't *really* need to go to college). 

:D

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #34 of 167
Just got my AKG K702s and straight out of the box with only a FiiO E7, they are stunning and completely blow my Denon D2000s out of the water!  Also, I don't find the bass lacking as some seem to suggest; they're in fact tight and concise and well balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #35 of 167

Quote:
Just got my AKG K702s and straight out of the box with only a FiiO E7, they are stunning and completely blow my Denon D2000s out of the water!  Also, I don't find the bass lacking as some seem to suggest; they're in fact tight and concise and well balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

It is flowery descriptions like that, based on a headphone you had for a few minutes, which are about as meaningless as it gets.

Want to be more 'objective' (... a paradox when it comes to 'describe' headphone sound but it can be done better than what you have attempted, as many on this forum have managed to do ...)

... live with the phones for a while (at least a few days, better a couple of weeks), let your ears accustome to a different sound signature then tell us also what source and amplification you use.

First minute impressions, especially enthusiastic ones, are rarely accurate. Something I have learned in many years of being involved with the Hifi Industry as an end user.

No offense meant

regards

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #36 of 167

Quote:
Drummerman - The WA6-SE is output transformer coupled - so it may well be able to dig deep and drive the 701s well. 

Thanks for the impressions/review, Dubstep girl! You've succeeded in adding things to my shopping list. (I guess my son doesn't *really* need to go to college). 

:D

Has anyone got measurements for that product?

regards

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #37 of 167

Quote:

Has anyone got measurements for that product?

regards 

Maybe in the Full-size/desktop amps sub-forum. There were a lot of very detailed posts when the WA6-SE was released. If you ask nice enough, maybe someone will take the measurements for you. The fact that it does have a dedicated low-impedence jack is promising anyway. 

I like measurements for many things - but impedence matching (within reason), has never been something I really felt needed that kind of precision. It either sounds good, or it doesn't. *shrug* To each their own. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #39 of 167

Quote:

It is flowery descriptions like that, based on a headphone you had for a few minutes, which are about as meaningless as it gets.

Want to be more 'objective' (... a paradox when it comes to 'describe' headphone sound but it can be done better than what you have attempted, as many on this forum have managed to do ...)

... live with the phones for a while (at least a few days, better a couple of weeks), let your ears accustome to a different sound signature then tell us also what source and amplification you use.

First minute impressions, especially enthusiastic ones, are rarely accurate. Something I have learned in many years of being involved with the Hifi Industry as an end user. 
No offense meant

regards

I apologize for any misunderstanding arising from my post.  I'm still somewhat new to this world of audio and my excitement got the best of me.  However, the excitement arose because the K702s performed in all areas which the D2000s did not.  The vocals came through with stunning clarity, the bass was much tighter yet not lacking, and the overall detail of the sound was vastly improved.  Also, this was using only the Fiio E7.  I had read up quite a bit on the K702s and was expecting somewhat lacking bass and pretty poor performance with only the E7, but I personally did not experience any of those potential downsides; only the positives.  Hopefully you can understand where I was coming from; I was not trying to mislead anyone in any way. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #40 of 167
No need to apologize, you were thrilled with new headphone that is familiar to all of us, ain't that true @drummerman.
And just for the record, you did not mislead anyone, k702 is much better 'phone than d2000 with all the mods in this world
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #41 of 167

Quote:
No need to appologize, you were thrilled with new headphone that is familiar to all of us, ain't that true @drummerman.
And just for the record, you did not mislead anyone, k702 is much better 'phone than d2000 with all the mods in this world
very_evil_smiley.gif

Glad to see that I'm not delusional.  After reading so much about how hard the K 701/702s are to drive and how they require hundreds of hours of burn-in, I was very surprised that they sounded the way they did (and gave the D2000s the beating that they did, IMO) straight out of the box with only the FiiO E7.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #43 of 167
Akg k702 will reward you with pure plesure as you go with upgrades, but they do sound good even with modest amplification and reveal their balance, extension and natural signature.

That is love at first sight. Enjoy your headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #44 of 167

Quote:
Fiio E9 make k702 open up a lot vs E7.

I have the E9s coming in today, actually. Can't wait to try it!

Quote:
Akg k702 will reward you with pure plesure as you go with upgrades, but they do sound good even with modest amplification and reveal their balance, extension and natural signature.

That is love at first sight. Enjoy your headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the E9 coming but unfortunately, I don't think I'll be upgrading from the E7/E9 combo in the near future.  I'm a little concerned that the output impedance of the E9s might be a little high for the K702; should I be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back