Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 - UPDATED!!!!
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 167
"Dubstep Girl" who likes akg k701
bigsmile_face.gif

With right amplification and good production akg k702 became all-rounder in my rig, damn good 'phone.

Like the review, own grado and akg. Was thinking about DT990 manufaktur so it is helpful to see them together.
Had a Denon, it was exceptional with Dubstep but it did not work with Drum and Bass. Wherever you require speed (and mids) denon will fail IMO..

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 167

Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

With right amplification and good production akg k702 became all-rounder in my rig, damn good 'phone.

Like the review, own grado and akg. Was thinking about DT990 manufaktur so it is helpful to see them together.
Had a Denon, it was exceptional with Dubstep but it did not work with Drum and Bass. Wherever you require speed (and mids) denon will fail IMO..

This appears to be backed up by measurements ~ Purrin had some graphs up in another thread
showing the decay rates of the HD650 / RS1 / D2000 ~ the HD 650 did well, the RS1 did best
and the D2000 struggled somewhat. In his opinion, attack / decay rates influenced how detailed
a can may sound.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 167
Whilst I found your test interesting I have a feeling your Woo Audio has anything but low output impedance.

This would have the effect of affectiing frequency response of some of the phones tested.

Can you clarify, what the measurements are for your headphone amplifier/s and perhaps provide a link to technical specification?

Thanks

regards

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 167
I own some DT990's and a pair of Grados, and I can safely say if you felt like Grado was missing justa  little thump (think of movie soundtracks for example), then the 990's are right down your alley. I love them.

Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #20 of 167
Nice thoughts on these headphones :) It looks like you got a nice mix of different sound signatures there

Amazingly I have never heard any of these headphones..ok I lie I've heard the HD650 but not in ideal listening setups like my room and it was only briefly

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 167

Quote:
Nice review, but I get a strong feeling that you are NOT a girl.

Just sayin' 
evil_smiley.gif

Why would you think that?Lol.. Hey women get into HPs, just not as much as the fellas but.. Hey if he is saying he is a she but is a she then you would be wrong.. But then again she could be a he. There are several men that pose as women on these threads as there are non Asians that pose as Asian..This is kinda funny to me..

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 167

Quote:
Why would you think that?Lol.. Hey women get into HPs, just not as much as the fellas but.. Hey if he is saying he is a she but is a she then you would be wrong.. But then again she could be a he. There are several men that pose as women on these threads as there are non Asians that pose as Asian..This is kinda funny to me..

lol. i'm a girl, just a slightly weird one thats crazy about headphones! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #25 of 167
It's true ~ the fairer sex whilst rare on some fronts are absolutely hardcore 
biggrin.gif

The 'STAX girl' at the last meet was intensely high end! - Her rig was an endless bounty
of audio goodness. A few guys tried to get her to sell & part with a STAX unit or two but she
wasn't hearing it!

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #27 of 167
Interesting...

I don't find the low-mid bass performance on my HD650 to be much more prominent than on my DT880 (2005) - which is supposed to be significantly less in bass quantity than a DT990 (2005). The mid range, however is totally different from HD650 - DT880 - the latter being much more recessed.

Running both off a Fiio E9, btw.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #28 of 167

Quote:
Dubstep Girl, in your own opinion, which headphone do you prefer to use for WA6SE, K701 or HD650? Why?
biggrin.gif

the k701, it just has greater synergy with the WA6SE, the HD 650 sounds great too though, i just noticed alot more change on the k701 coming from my old amp to the woo. 

the k701s are just amazing tho on the WA6, it just brings them to life and makes them music and much more dynamic, so the "flat and boring" k701's suddenly becoming very fun headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #29 of 167
Dubstep girl

in absence of any response to my previous question/s about output impedance of your WA6 (and a lack of specific technical info on Woo's webstore), I would expect it to be sufficiently high to alter the frequency response of the K701 which really needs an amplifier with a below 6ohm output.

Whilst the result may be musical and fun to you, it is most probably not what the headphone designers had in mind and is most certainly the effect of underdamped bass and possibly alteration of mid and high frequencies as well.

You probably would achieve a similar result with a much cheaper headphone listened through any laptop output :)

regards

PS. The above is an assumption though I dont mind standing corrected if someone has measurents of the WOO.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #30 of 167

Quote:
Dubstep girl

in absence of any response to my previous question/s about output impedance of your WA6 (and a lack of specific technical info on Woo's webstore), I would expect it to be sufficiently high to alter the frequency response of the K701 which really needs an amplifier with a below 6ohm output.

Whilst the result may be musical and fun to you, it is most probably not what the headphone designers had in mind and is most certainly the effect of underdamped bass and possibly alteration of mid and high frequencies as well.

You probably would achieve a similar result with a much cheaper headphone listened through any laptop output :)

regards

PS. The above is an assumption though I dont mind standing corrected if someone has measurents of the WOO.

they sound pretty damn good to me tho, and i never said this was a review, just my thoughts and a comparison, which is why i didn't give a full list of specs and numbers, i just like what i hear and try and describe it to other head-fiers in the easiest way possible. and whats wrong with the amp if the k701 sounds ok, are you saying its like coloration/distortion of  sorts? they definitely dont sound like cheap headphones to me. 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back