Closed Headphones ~$200 for a student
Jul 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wolfskie

Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm moving to university dormitories soon so unfortunately I'll have to sell my current DAC and headphones because the former is not portable enough and the latter is an open design so less suited for the noisy environment.

I'm thinking of buying a FiiO E10 to serve as a semi portable dac/amp from dealextreme (are they reliable?), but i'm not certain about the headphones.
I'm coming from a pair of AT AD700 and while i love their sound sometimes i do wish for a little more bass impact and a more involved midrange.
I listen to a lot genres like rock, blues, jazz, classical(all kinds) and less often metal, drum and bass, hip-hop and electronic.

I've been considering getting a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro and while the have the "oomph" i'm looking for, i;ve read that they have recessed mids.
what would be a recommended headphone for me in the $200 price-range?

tl;dr
looking for closed headphones under $200, isolation is very important.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 13
bump

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 13
would u consider philips uptown....its good over many genres.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 13
The V-Moda M80 are amazing sounding, very detailed in mids, highs with deep punchy bass(more punch than AD700). Harmen Kardon CL offers superb guitar punch with punchy bass and overall shows good details in mids, highs and they built well(also looks great). I will recommend the JDS Labs C421 AMPs over E10 if AMPs need and E17 for DAC/AMPs use.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 13
Is portability important?
If it is not, Beyerdynamic DT250-250Ohm would be a great all-rounder headphone that suits many genres and delivers what you want.
If portability is important, Audio Technica ATH-M50 could be a good option.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I'm moving to university dormitories soon so unfortunately I'll have to sell my current DAC and headphones because the former is not portable enough and the latter is an open design so less suited for the noisy environment.

I'm thinking of buying a FiiO E10 to serve as a semi portable dac/amp from dealextreme (are they reliable?), but I'm not certain about the headphones.
I'm coming from a pair of AT AD700 and while i love their sound sometimes i do wish for a little more bass impact and a more involved midrange.
I listen to a lot genres like rock, blues, jazz, classical(all kinds) and less often metal, drum and bass, hip-hop and electronic.

I've been considering getting a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro and while the have the "oomph" I'm looking for, I've read that they have recessed mids.
what would be a recommended headphone for me in the $200 price-range?

closed headphones under $200, isolation is very important.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would be a good over all choice for use with your amplifier and with in your budget.
(Usually there are several used DT770 Pro 80-Ohm for sale on eBay)
Sony MDR-V6 would be way under your budget.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Non-portable for me would be the BeyerDynamic DT-660, $180-190 in U.S..

Sub-bass is surprisingly robust (orchestral bass drum), more efficient (32 ohms) than my Grados which are very efficient, isolation is excellent, leakage is very low.

That's my suggestion and I'm stickin' to it.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Thank you for your comments

@Lorspeaker
I will consider them. how do they compare, sound-wise to other headphones, such as the mdr v6 or dt 770?
also, how well do they isolate sound?

@ZARIM
Unfortunately i can't find any of those headphones locally and as for the amps, the reason i thought of the e10 is because of its' great value, being around $70 and performing well for that price, i simply can't afford something as expensive as that JDS labs amp and the fiio e17.
as for the headphones themselves, it seems all those headphones, when including shipping, are over my budget

@jupitreas
the headphones will most likely be used in a room connected to a computer through a dac/amp, however, i might want to use them on a bus as well, connected to a cowon i7, so portability is somewhat important.
is there a difference between the dt250-250 and the dt250-80?

@PurpleAngel
thank you for your input.  how is the comfort and isolation on the mdr-v6?

@bbophead
how would the dt660 compare to the other beyerdynamic headphones mentioned in this thread? locally i can get them for aboutt he same price.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Yes, the 80 Ohm version has slightly more mid-bass, a little more forward vocals and less clear highs. The 250 Ohm version is more balanced and has better-defined sub-bass and significantly clearer highs. I'd recommend the 250 ohm version.
Quote:
@jupitreas
the headphones will most likely be used in a room connected to a computer through a dac/amp, however, i might want to use them on a bus as well, connected to a cowon i7, so portability is somewhat important.
is there a difference between the dt250-250 and the dt250-80?

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Thank you for your comments

@bbophead
how would the dt660 compare to the other beyerdynamic headphones mentioned in this thread? locally i can get them for aboutt he same price.

You're welcome.

Ahh, there's the rub.  I don't know the other BD's (770/880/990) at all and most of those users don't know the 660.  Good luck, I'm afraid. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
@PurpleAngel
Thank you for your input.  how is the comfort and isolation on the mdr-v6?

I just bought some used MDR-V6s ($48)  and put some (slighty used) Beyerdynamic EDT 200 (EDT 250) Velour ear pads ($23) on them.
So far comfort is fairly decent, isolation is nothing special, but with music on it drowns out any noise.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 13
i'm interested not only in sound not going in, but also minimal sound leakage.

it seems to me that if i buy locally i should probably go with either the dt770-80 or the dt250-80 for the isolation, comfort and relative portability.
has anyone compared them side-by-side? how well do they play from a portable music player?
how are they compared to the ad700? about the same? a step up? a step down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back