Closed Cans
Jul 30, 2010 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bestrolledLs

New Head-Fier
So I know this question is asked on here just about everyday, but if i'm gonna be spending around 300 dollars of my hard earned cash, then I want to spend it wisely.

so here goes, Im looking for a good set of closed cans, Im willing to spend around 250. They have to be comfortable, durable, and most of all sound good. My main sources will be my laptop (macbook) and my ipod classic. I listen to just about everything. I'd say mostly hip-hop as of late, but I also thoroughly enjoy electronica, trance, dubstep, trip-hop, rock, classic rock, alternative, jazz, classical, etc etc.. 

Bass is a must, I want to feel the thump and thud of the bass but I don't want that to be the only thing I hear. It cant be to muddy or overpowering. I was originally going to purchase the ATH-M50s but i'm about to get some money so I'm looking for something a bit higher end.

so far i'm considering...

ATH-M50s (and save some money)
Phiaton MS400
Ultrasone Dj1 Pro (leaning towards these)
AKG K242HD
how do they all sound and compare to one another? what other cans should I consider?
oh and one last thing, would I need an amp for any of these cans? 

Thanks in advance.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 4
If you're just going to run them off your laptop and iPod then IMO just go with the M50s :)

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 4
If you like soundstage and dont need extreme isolation denon d2000 would be good with rap, trip-hop, dubstep, classic rock, and slower electronica. They are very comfortable have clear, forward sound and recessed mids due to lower bass quantity but you can EQ them and make most of the denon fun signature.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 4
So I just thought id write a little follow up here in case anyone is interested. I ended up buying the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro. I'm running them out of my home stereo system right now listening to the Further album by the Chemical Brothers and words cannot describe how much I love these right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back