Classical music headphones | M50s not so good
Sep 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #16 of 21
I´ve tried both K701 and HD598 and for classical music I easily would choose HD598, no brainer. 
K701 sure is very eqflat against the warmer but not to warm hd598.
But then we have Soundstage where HD598 really shines, and a soundstage you might looking for.
Im really not the guy who should make some statements, but I really think that K701s soundstage is a bit overrated, if you want i deep sounding stage.
Its more stereo-big with the sounds bouncing from left to right,  but still with that centred near image. 
HD 598 is moving the hole stage into the front of you and with a little bit lesser width, what cause a more speaker and what I would call natural like sound.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
I´ve tried both K701 and HD598 and for classical music I easily would choose HD598, no brainer. 
K701 sure is very eqflat against the warmer but not to warm hd598.
But then we have Soundstage where HD598 really shines, and a soundstage you might looking for.
Im really not the guy who should make some statements, but I really think that K701s soundstage is a bit overrated, if you want i deep sounding stage.
Its more stereo-big with the sounds bouncing from left to right,  but still with that centred near image. 
HD 598 is moving the hole stage into the front of you and with a little bit lesser width, what cause a more speaker and what I would call natural like sound.

Yay, maybe compare to the HD598 the sound stage is overrated...but not compare to the concert hall in Vienna, and this where the K70X are made.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 21
The udac2 says 
  1. Headphone output jack
    1. Power output: 80mW x 2 @ 16-Ohm
    2. Headphone impedance 16-300 Ohm

So I'm not sure but I don't think that is quite enough oomph for K 701s, or at least from what I've read. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:

Yay, maybe compare to the HD598 the sound stage is overrated...but not compare to the concert hall in Vienna, and this where the K70X are made.

I second this. The soundstage isn't really large. But sometimes it can throw a wild sound out there to surprise you.

Quote:
The udac2 says 
  1. Headphone output jack
    1. Power output: 80mW x 2 @ 16-Ohm
    2. Headphone impedance 16-300 Ohm

So I'm not sure but I don't think that is quite enough oomph for K 701s, or at least from what I've read. 

Not at all. You need a massive system to pull the K70~. You don't buy an amp for the K701, you buy them for a amp.

Cheap classical music headphone is the AD700/900. Other then that a neutral can like a MDR-V6 or 6400 works well

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 21
Yea I'm looking for something open and I don't want to upgrade my tiny udac2 just yet. I'll probably go for the AD900 or HD 598

edit: I went with a cheaper option and ordered the AKG K 240 Studio today, I've always wanted to try the AKG sound. I'm not sure how good the AKGs will sound with my udac2 but I am going to try it out. I will also test them with my dedicated soundcard in my pc that I purchased years ago; for comparison. I'll bump the thread when I receive them and have done some testing.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 21
OK so I got my AKG K 240 Studios today. I am really surprised at how good they sound with my udac2 (much better than my soundcard). The bass becomes very controlled with the udac2 vs kind of muddy with my SB Live! 24 bit. The bass is not as punchy as the M50s but it is still present and sounds good and detailed to me. I originally bought them mainly for classical, but I have thrown all genres at them and everything seems to sound great, but if you are a bass head you may want a bit more. I am also hearing details in my music that I didn't hear with my M50s. They are also incredibly comfortable. I don't know why these aren't recommended more often. Such a good buy for $99. I am probably going to sell my M50s so watch out for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back