Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #11,731 of 42,765
I've just got a Hugo and I'm struggling to tell the difference with the Mojo. The Mojo's presentation of 24bit tracks from Tidal Hifi is very slightly warmer than the Hugo. The Hugo is therefore less forgiving of sibilance but in head-fi parlance more 'revealing' despite its 2014 technology.

The Hugo does not get as hot for desktop use as Mojo which for the moment is my main use, but my reservation about the Hugo is that it doesn't natively play DSD tracks (or am I mistaken?) without conversion to PCM.

It's not clear where Chord is placing the Mojo; if it's performance is nearly indistinguishable (as Chord have explained to me) from the Hugo why should anyone pay £1000 more for the Hugo if the device is going to be connected to a PC via USB? Perhaps Chord will release a new Hugo with a better battery and an on/off switch that doesn't look like a naff cast off from a secondary school physics experiment.

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #11,733 of 42,765
I'm. Wondering and hoping it will be better sounding than mojo

At the Mojo price point you are not going to find anything that sounds better. Some daps at this price might sound a little different, but not better. The Mojo has changed the game imo.

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #11,734 of 42,765
The question is, can Chord make a DAC/amp module for LG G5 i.e. Mojo marrying G5? It's possible, isn't it?

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #11,735 of 42,765
I'm very happy to have a new Mojo after returning my first due to defective battery but something strange is happening now.  The new Mojo is much quieter, for example with the old one I listened on red-red most of the time, with this one i'm on light blue-light blue most of the time.  It really is quieter.  Also when I got the new one and powered it on for the first time after charging for 10 hours, it was on yellow-yellow (I had to scroll through the colors backwards to get back to zero and then work my way up to the desired setting), don't know if that means anything.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #11,736 of 42,765
  The question is, can Chord make a DAC/amp module for LG G5 i.e. Mojo marrying G5? It's possible, isn't it?

B&O already doing that part for now, however, as you probably know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MobVwMNUa2w&ab_channel=AndroidAuthority
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11077616/lg-g5-announced-specs-release-date-price-mwc-2016

so maybe the dac/amp B/O makes might not be as great as what the mojo can offer.
...but if a growing demand is there w quality portable audio, then who knows what future partners LG hooks up with.
...and this modular approach might even prove so be so popular other smartphone carriers will copy it.

i think LG's new approach is fresh and exciting..to think Chord could be asked to get involved in some point with this concept
with some maker is even more so....but i doubt it.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #11,737 of 42,765
I'm very happy to have a new Mojo after returning my first due to defective battery but something strange is happening now.  The new Mojo is much quieter, for example with the old one I listened on red-red most of the time, with this one i'm on light blue-light blue most of the time.  It really is quieter.  Also when I got the new one and powered it on for the first time after charging for 10 hours, it was on yellow-yellow (I had to scroll through the colors backwards to get back to zero and then work my way up to the desired setting), don't know if that means anything.

What phones are you pairing it with? Perhaps your old unit wasn't putting out enough power. Red-red is pretty loud even with planers.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #11,738 of 42,765
What phones are you pairing it with? Perhaps your old unit wasn't putting out enough power. Red-red is pretty loud even with planers.

I have scrolled through my volume levels and there is two red/red levels. With no music playing of course. The next red/red is way more steps ahead of the lower end level.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #11,740 of 42,765
i have light pink/light blue.. light blue/light blue is a few steps higher then red/red for me. Hmm wierd.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #11,742 of 42,765

Red-Red is only like 5-7 clicks from both off on mojo, I'm using the same CIEMS I was using with my old model: 64 Audio ADEL A12's.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #11,744 of 42,765
  Is the mojo so good that it can displace stand alone desk DACS, rather than just portable dac/amps?

The other day I went into a local hi-fi store to see if they still had Piega speakers I could demo. Sadly they'd re-arranged their layout and cut down on the number of speakers, so they didn't have any. They did have the ELAC BS314s, which I like a lot, so I decided to demo them again anyway. 

First up we tried them with some huge Denon integrated that also had a DAC. The sound was awful. I sure as heck didn't remember the BS314s sounding this bad. Switching to the Mojo as the digital source the sound was much improved, but it was clear the amp wasn't so good. The best was using the Mojo as a source to a Mark Levinson amp (I forgot to note the model, but it was $15k or so). The sound was absolutely fantastic. If I'd had longer I would have asked to plug it in to their best system and compare it with whatever DACs were on hand, which were the usual fare of Luxman and Accuphase. 

There are a couple of dealers here who might allow me to indulge myself in comparisons. One of them has the most amazing horn speaker rigs, but I hate asking as the owner doesn't seem to like me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back