Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #11,701 of 42,765
  You're right and that is why the Hugo TT retains a battery. And I'd love to see Rob Watts comment on the feasibility of removing the battery from the Mojo. As a table top, they would not have the same IEM noise floor constraints because that would take it out of the portable market. A docking station for home use would be a possibility if they could address the heat issues while charging/playing and it could drive headphones like the HD 600/650, HD 800/800S, HE1000 etc. Either way, I'd like to see Chord get the job done and bring a Mojo TT to the market.  

Chord already have the 2Qute desktop DAC at £995 (Hugo is £1400 and Mojo £399 here in the UK so kind of splits the difference).  I don't think it has a headphone output but I believe the DAC stage is lifted from the Hugo.  Add an amp of your choice and you have what you are looking for.  Chord now have Mojo and Hugo for portable/transportable, 2Qute, Hugo TT and Dave for desktop; not sure it would make more sense to add another desktop DAC.  So they add an amp to the 2Qute but that would maybe take sales away from Hugo?  Make a "desktop Mojo" but that would maybe take sales from the 2Qute and Hugo?

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #11,702 of 42,765
You might be bale to make the Mojo into a desktop function if you remove the battery. Clearly it's better to get Chord's opinion on this. It would likely invalidate warranty, but it would stop the heat issues that someone just mentioned.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #11,703 of 42,765
  You might be bale to make the Mojo into a desktop function if you remove the battery. Clearly it's better to get Chord's opinion on this. It would likely invalidate warranty, but it would stop the heat issues that someone just mentioned.

Interested with the no-battery configuration, too, but I suppose the mojo is drawing current from the battery no matter which mode. However, I recalled Rob saying the mojo will detect the battery charge, and then only draw what it needs from the charger. That does not explain the heat issue, though... I reckon the mojo draws current from the battery, while the charger keep topping the battery up...

One solution I could think of is to set a threshold at the battery management system, only charge when the battery has dropped to certain voltage when it is connected to the charger for a long time...

Which begs a question, the mojo's software can only be updated in the factory?

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #11,704 of 42,765
  Interested with the no-battery configuration, too, but I suppose the mojo is drawing current from the battery no matter which mode. However, I recalled Rob saying the mojo will detect the battery charge, and then only draw what it needs from the charger. That does not explain the heat issue, though... I reckon the mojo draws current from the battery, while the charger keep topping the battery up...

One solution I could think of is to set a threshold at the battery management system, only charge when the battery has dropped to certain voltage when it is connected to the charger for a long time...

Which begs a question, the mojo's software can only be updated in the factory?

That is how I understood Rob Watts's post on the power circuitry control. He said that the battery only draws power for charging once the battery level drops 0.2V. Rob's own words, quote:

Rob Watts (currently post 4596):
"Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge."

However I am confused by the implementation in day to day use. I use the Mojo as a desktop DAC. Once the battery is full and it remains plugged in, I see no evidence that it disconnects drawing power from the battery. Basically the charging light either shows blue meaning running off battery, or white meaning charging.

There are two possibilities to explain it. 1. The mojo only ever draws power from the battery, which contradicts Rob Watts. (Maybe forget that then.) 2. There is no charging light colour to represent being left on charge all the time. Thus no light colour to represent being powered only from the charger.

However this leaves the question. For the charging light to switch so often between blue and white, it means the battery is dissipating much power. It alternates quite regularly but I have not timed it: it may be every ten, fifteen, or 30 minutes, but I don't know. It's not a long cycle though and it's regular.

Why though. Why does the battery dissipate 0.2V within such a short time? Thus setting the Mojo back in charging more.

That is why I felt it necessary to get Chord's opinion. We could use knowledge about running the Mojo with the battery either taken out or disconnected.

EDIT: The heat comes from when the Mojo is playing and charging. It's not a serious consideration when you keep the Mojo battery topped up. It only gets warm before the charging cycle switches off again.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #11,707 of 42,765
Just got my VE ZEN 2.0 Earbud.
I am feeling heavenly after pairing with my Mojo even it's just out of box.

I feel like, i will never use HD650 again :frowning2:.

I think i got my Ultimate combo: For portable(Mojo+ZEN) and home(Mojo+Genelcs).
Thanks to Headfi community, otherwise i would have never got to know about this awesome sounding 300 Ohms Earbud.

FYI.. I am in minority, i can't wear IEMs more than 10 seconds even, that's the reason i can never buy and enjoy products like Sennheiser IE800 or Shure 846 :frowning2:.

I'm with you. I've heard some decent IEMs, but I can't find them comfortable and the sound doesn't compare to some good open backed headphones

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #11,709 of 42,765
I wouldn't mind a desktop version of Mojo.

I mean it works quite well.

But recharging and overheat issues as a desktop DAC can be a small pain.

I still don't care having this awesome sound for the price. (Addictive!)

Bur I wouldn't mind if I could forget about charging, etc.

(I hardly ever use Mojo as portable device.)
[/quote
I use mine as a desktop DAC most days. It works brilliantly.
Are you having recharging or heat issues? Or is it something you heard?
I haven't had any issues in this configuration.
Mojo can get warm, but it is designed to.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #11,713 of 42,765
Maybe my cable got some problem, do you know how to test the connection via lightning to mojo,, plug the mojo and it never get connected,, volume ball has light but none the power ball,

I would try the Lightning connection both directions and also on others devices (iPad, a different iPhone) and see if it works. Good luck!

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #11,715 of 42,765
Is the mojo so good that it can displace stand alone desk DACS, rather than just portable dac/amps?

Yes. Absolutely. I feel it certainly outperforms the similarly-priced Bimby in almost every aspect. I've used it as a desktop unit with everything from my Stax setup all the way up to the Cavalli Liquid Gold and the Wells Headtrip, and I feel like it has performed well in every desktop scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back