Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #42,751 of 42,765
Okay, real sh!t, i just successfully replicate it.
In the 1st pic, you can see the upper plug is for my fan, and the bottom is for my laptop charger.
So apparently, let's say i'm using the Mojo with my laptop plugged in and my fan turn off. If i turn the fan on, the pink noise would happen. I successfully replicate it 3 times.
Why? I do not know. But at least i now know what not to do

Attachments

• IMG_20240210_200211.jpg
    IMG_20240210_200211.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240210_200305.jpg
    IMG_20240210_200305.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #42,752 of 42,765
Okay, real sh!t, i just successfully replicate it.
In the 1st pic, you can see the upper plug is for my fan, and the bottom is for my laptop charger.
So apparently, let's say i'm using the Mojo with my laptop plugged in and my fan turn off. If i turn the fan on, the pink noise would happen. I successfully replicate it 3 times.
Why? I do not know. But at least i now know what not to do

The Mojo will make loud white noise at times and it seems to be associated with an interruption in the data transfer.

A lot of discussion about it probably earlier on in the thread and also in the Mojo 2 thread.

People attribute it to cables and all manner of stuff but it ultimately seems to come down to a disruption in data, mostly over USB but I have had it using coaxial also.

Your turning on the fan must be doing something odd that interrupts the data in some odd way, like interrupting the computer somehow, perhaps try putting the fan on a different circuit to the computer.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #42,753 of 42,765
Your turning on the fan must be doing something odd that interrupts the data in some odd way, like interrupting the computer somehow, perhaps try putting the fan on a different circuit to the computer.
Yes the fan sending electrical noise back down through the power cord to the computer, and all that electrical noise maybe feeding though the ground plane, and then onwards to the Mojo would be my prime suspect.

An alternative possibility would be that during switch-on the fan is emitting a lot of RFI, which is captured by the usb cable to the Mojo. That could be tested by using optical out from the computer to the Mojo.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #42,755 of 42,765
The Mojo will make a high pitched noise when it is very close to fully charged and not playing audio, until it stops charging. Mine does the same. It is annoying but I don't sit near the device so it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #42,757 of 42,765
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #42,758 of 42,765
The Mojo will make a high pitched noise when it is very close to fully charged and not playing audio, until it stops charging. Mine does the same. It is annoying but I don't sit near the device so it doesn't bother me.
If you were getting the noise for long periods during charging, the cause is probably using a charger which produces too much ripple current.
If the noise is near the end of the charging period, then the cause can be using a smart charger, some of which switch to trickle charge mode as the battery approaches full charge.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #42,759 of 42,765
"mate1
meɪt/Submit
noun
the sexual partner of a bird or other animal.
"a male bird sings to court a mate"
a fellow member or joint occupant of a specified thing.
"his table-mates"
synonyms: partner, husband, wife, spouse, lover, live-in lover, amour, significant other, inamorato, inamorata, companion."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGQsWPNpus

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #42,760 of 42,765
I recently started using my Mojo 1 in a different setup that involves a Mac Mini M1 as a source - (had the mojo since 2016-17, using it with optical from my PC and out to my bottlehead crack+hd650) - my question is since the Mac doesnt have optical and i need to feed the data through usb, is there a good value solution/some recommended usb a-micro usb cables to get the best quality? been out of touch with the technical part of music listening in the last 3-4 years

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #42,761 of 42,765
Since the digital output from the Mac Mini is just 1's and 0's, as long as there are no high resistance joints in the cable, a high quality cable is pretty much a waste of money. I would go for an Amazon Basics cable as reasonable quality for a modest price.

Wilson

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #42,762 of 42,765
I recently started using my Mojo 1 in a different setup that involves a Mac Mini M1 as a source - (had the mojo since 2016-17, using it with optical from my PC and out to my bottlehead crack+hd650) - my question is since the Mac doesnt have optical and i need to feed the data through usb, is there a good value solution/some recommended usb a-micro usb cables to get the best quality? been out of touch with the technical part of music listening in the last 3-4 years
You could always use an optical converter like this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ge-95-of-thread.885405/page-609#post-17795926

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #42,763 of 42,765

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-1-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-16251864

^^ The post above discusses sound quality using various input connection methods.

Someone recommended this if going the USB route - https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer-plus/. I can't personally vouch for it. However, I can provide my own experience. I use a WiiM mini to wirelessly Airplay audio from my Apple devices. The WiiM Mini then outputs to the Mojo via optical. I also connect to the Mojo via USB on Mac for music production because Airplay latency is garbage and completely unsuitable for that purpose. People will tell you cables are cables are cables. I have absolutely not found that to be true. For instance, I have one USB cable that has absolutely thunderous low end. It's not even close to being a subtle difference. Ironically it was just some random cable that I pulled out of my stash as opposed to some specifically marketed brand of cable. With my setup using the cheap USB micro cable that I purchased, it is bested by optical input to the Mojo. Could be the USB cable though as I purchased an inexpensive cable because I needed a 20ft run.

When it comes to spending on cables, reach within budget. There is no magic "best sounding" cable out there. Find what fits your budget and perhaps even experiment if you have Amazon Prime since you can return items at no charge. Don't bother spending money on expensive cables.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #42,764 of 42,765
I had a lightning strike at my French house which killed the USB input on my very expensive Benchmark Audio DAC3L. It would have to go back to the USA for repair as there is nobody in Europe who can do a warranted repair. This would then involve customs complications in both directions and being away for a long time. I decided as I had had good experience of the M2Tech USB to Coax converter to send a digital signal some distance from my Mac Mini to the Audiolabs M-Dac at the opposite corner of my bedroom in the UK, where I had had transmission problems with sending a USB audio output, I thought I could go the same route in France. I bought another M2Tech USB to Coax and connected to the USB on my Mac Mini and then to one of the still good Coax inputs on the DAC3L. The M2Tech will support up to 192kHz/32 bit from my M1 Mac Mini and the sound quality is excellent. That is therefore a route I can recommend assuming the Mojo has a digital Coax input like my Chord Hugo 2 has.

Wilson

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #42,765 of 42,765
I had a lightning strike at my French house which killed the USB input on my very expensive Benchmark Audio DAC3L. It would have to go back to the USA for repair as there is nobody in Europe who can do a warranted repair. This would then involve customs complications in both directions and being away for a long time. I decided as I had had good experience of the M2Tech USB to Coax converter to send a digital signal some distance from my Mac Mini to the Audiolabs M-Dac at the opposite corner of my bedroom in the UK, where I had had transmission problems with sending a USB audio output, I thought I could go the same route in France. I bought another M2Tech USB to Coax and connected to the USB on my Mac Mini and then to one of the still good Coax inputs on the DAC3L. The M2Tech will support up to 192kHz/32 bit from my M1 Mac Mini and the sound quality is excellent. That is therefore a route I can recommend assuming the Mojo has a digital Coax input like my Chord Hugo 2 has.

Wilson

That's unfortunate to hear. Considering I picked up my Mojo for $200, forking over another $200 for the M2Tech wouldn't seem to be a good value. To each their own and I understand your use case. It can probably be had for over 50% off retail if one were to be willing to be patient and purchase used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back