Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #42,721 of 42,765
I would hope it is a really effing quiet power supply! Good luck with that!
I hear no difference whatsoever between the internal battery and external 7.5Vdc power supply. Besides, the Qutest also uses a cheap walwart so...

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #42,722 of 42,765
No idea why @miketlse referred to the 1W output. All that matters is that the headphone out can produce the proper Voltage. It will output 3V in line-out mode. 4 clicks down from max output is ~1.9V, as per mentioned at link. 2V is considered standard line level voltage for consumer audio equipment.
I did not spot anything in the post about adding an amplifier, so assumed that the post referred to direct driving the speakers. For that use case, the power is the important criterion.
If the objective is to use an amplifier, then of course the voltage is the important criterion.

For what its worth, the only time that I experimented with feeding the Mojo into an Arcam amplifier, it was a disappointing experience because the sound became turgid, and felt like all the great definition possible from headphones had been lost.
I concluded that using an amplifier was not for me, unless I could use a better amplifier that did not create such turgidity.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #42,723 of 42,765
I did not spot anything in the post about adding an amplifier, so assumed that the post referred to direct driving the speakers. For that use case, the power is the important criterion.
If the objective is to use an amplifier, then of course the voltage is the important criterion.

For what its worth, the only time that I experimented with feeding the Mojo into an Arcam amplifier, it was a disappointing experience because the sound became turgid, and felt like all the great definition possible from headphones had been lost.
I concluded that using an amplifier was not for me, unless I could use a better amplifier that did not create such turgidity.

I seriously doubt anyone would ever try to drive regular speakers using the headphone output. It's not a thing.

Regarding Arcam, their gear runs the gamut. They make some amazing sounding high end stuff (dCS Ring DAC), and middling performing gear at the lower end of the price spectrum. Which model Arcam and which speakers were you using? The only reason I can think your experience of using the Mojo in a standard 2-ch setup was less than satisfactory was because of the downstream equipment. Also, did you lower the output for the Mojo below 3V as mentioned previously? The reason I asked why Chord chose to use 3V for the line output is because often times you will find hardware that does not play nice with >2V and will distort if the input signal exceeds 2V.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #42,725 of 42,765
Jan 11, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #42,726 of 42,765
In your case, you most likely knew what you were doing. The Omega SAM's are high sensitivity so I'm not surprised you tried it out. Typical speakers are 87-89 dB sensitivity, compared to the 94.5+ dB sensitivity of the Omega's.
Of course, but it shows two things: 1) people don’t need as much power as they think and 2) Mojo is awesome!

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #42,727 of 42,765
I seriously doubt anyone would ever try to drive regular speakers using the headphone output. It's not a thing.

Regarding Arcam, their gear runs the gamut. They make some amazing sounding high end stuff (dCS Ring DAC), and middling performing gear at the lower end of the price spectrum. Which model Arcam and which speakers were you using? The only reason I can think your experience of using the Mojo in a standard 2-ch setup was less than satisfactory was because of the downstream equipment. Also, did you lower the output for the Mojo below 3V as mentioned previously? The reason I asked why Chord chose to use 3V for the line output is because often times you will find hardware that does not play nice with >2V and will distort if the input signal exceeds 2V.
'I seriously doubt anyone would ever try to drive regular speakers using the headphone output. It's not a thing.' - If you read this Mojo thread from start to finish, you will discover many Mojo owners pushing the boundaries of what was initially thought possible.

For my amplifier experiment, I fed the Mojo output into an Arcam Solo neo, and the output of the Arcam was fed to a pair of Focal Aria 936 floorstanders.
The sound lost everything that makes the Mojo sound special, the instrument spacing, the music transients, and the clear sound.
I am pretty sure that I tried adjusting the Mojo volume, but no improvement was possible.

I never tried direct driving the Arias with the Mojo, because I assumed that there would not be enough power.

However I have used a Hugo 2 to direct drive the Arias, and I am delighted with the sound, and have no interest to buy more expensive speakers, although it would be tempting to hear some electrostatic speakers.
I never expected that the Hugo 2 could drive the Arias which are rated at 300W max.
So it was a big surprise that the Hugo 2 with the volume set at approx 50% (so approx 1W) could drive those speakers.
The sound was perfectly loud enough for me to listen to jazz music, but I am aware that for louder volumes the needed power would increase exponentially.
The conclusion was that there is no problem with sound quality from using the Arias, and that for many purposes (especially near-field listening) you don't need many Watts of power.

I have also used the Hugo 2 to direct drive Wharfedale Diamond 1 and Monitor Audio Silver speakers in near-field mode, using less power than for the Arias.
With this low level of power, we are entering the range of power levels possible from the Mojo.
I have never tested this scenario, but I anticipate that it would be possible to direct drive efficient speakers in near-field mode with the Mojo.
I think the Mojo thread contains posts from owners who direct drove computer speakers.

Returning to the original topic, I believe that the Arcam was the weak point in the Mojo>Arcam>Aria chain.
I decided that it would be pointless trying again, unless I used a much better amplifier.

Here is an image of the Hugo 2 driving the Wharfedales (but the Monitor Audio are much better). I anticipate that the Mojo could do a similar job.

Hugo2 plus diamonds.jpg

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #42,728 of 42,765
It depends on your power source. I'm using my Mojo with battery unplugged and an ifi iPower 5V power supply. I wasn't able to get it dead silent with anything else. I hate to advocate for a power supply making a big difference, but this was the one time that it was noticeable to me.
Hello there! I was thinking of doing just this as well. Could you please tell me how you connected the iFi power supply? A lot of others are talking about soldering a female DC plug onto the board, but were you just using a DC-to-mini-USB adapter cable. And do you notice the auto shut-off issue with your setup? Thanks so much for any info.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #42,729 of 42,765
Hope anyone can help me.
I used an iphone to stream tidal hifi to mojo (it worked really well), but the phone broke down and I started using an android phone (samsung a50) to stream to mojo. I bought a micro usb to usb c cable (otg compatible) and connected it to the mojo.
When I stream from tidal, the light in mojo is always blue (176khz) regardless of the quality of the content. And I really don’t like the sound… what am I doing wrong?? Is it the cable?
Thanks

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #42,730 of 42,765
Hope anyone can help me.
I used an iphone to stream tidal hifi to mojo (it worked really well), but the phone broke down and I started using an android phone (samsung a50) to stream to mojo. I bought a micro usb to usb c cable (otg compatible) and connected it to the mojo.
When I stream from tidal, the light in mojo is always blue (176khz) regardless of the quality of the content. And I really don’t like the sound… what am I doing wrong?? Is it the cable?
Thanks
I think Android upscales by default, so may be experiencing that.
A search of this thread using 'android upscaling' will probably mention how to change the default settings.

There are also a couple of Tidal specific links in the FAQ in post #3, which may be of interest to you.
Using Tidal.png

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #42,731 of 42,765
Hope anyone can help me.
Thanks
Hi

You need USB Audio Player Pro for android to get the correct bit rate.

Apple works perfectly. Android you need that and you run Tidal through it.

Hope this helps

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #42,735 of 42,765
As long as the battery is charged and can power the DAC you only need the USB data cable. However, the USB data port is simply that, it is data ONLY. The USB power port is the same, but the opposite idea. It is power ONLY and does not pass data.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back