Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 22, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #30,541 of 42,765
I'm looking for a good quality USB cable to connect the Mojo to a new MacBook Pro with only USB-c connectors, without using an adapter. Or do you feel an adapter (USB-c to USB-A female) won't affect the sound at all?

You'll simply need a micro-USB to USB-C cable. Many are now popping up. Go for something of reasonable quality but don't spend an excessive amount.

I'm on the side that silver isn't necessary for a digital signal, but by all means go for something with robust, quality connectors and cable to minimise problems and maximise longevity of the cable (and reduce environmental wastage). Don't buy the cheapest crap you can find. Your Mojo deserves better than that!

$20-$40 US should get you something perfectly adequate.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #30,542 of 42,765
louder yes, slam no.

Why I want a mojo, the sound on my Sony xperia x compact has ok volume but a complete lack of power, slam, control etc etc. I don't think I can connect this phone to an external dac using tidal hifi. Never known this from a Sony phone before if anyone has tried this or has any info please let me know as I'm running out of ideas and something has to give.
I have cash burning a hole in my pocket and am wondering if I'll ditch this stupid phone.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #30,545 of 42,765
Hi all,

I've been away from the thread for a while. Look forward to catching up!

Unfortunately I have to report a poor experience with my Lavricables Lightning to Micro-USB cable as it broke/ceased functioning after about 5 months of use.

I previously reported that I was very happy with the cable in this very thread. I never had connectivity issues before it broke so I have every reason to believe it uses a genuine Made-for-iPod/iPhone or Apple CCK chip in the Lightning end of the cable, which remains perfect. It's the Micro-USB plug on the cable that broke.

At first I was worried there was a problem with my Mojo because I couldn't see a problem with the cable and the Mojo reported some connectivity (the signal ball lit up) but it couldn't establish a connection with my phone. On closer inspection however I saw that the Micro-USB plug on the cable was loose, so I figured at least one pin in the cable was broken.

What follows is why I'm disappointed. I expected as Latvia is a member state of the EU that the cable would be covered by warranty and I'd be eligible for a repair or replacement of the cable. When contacting Lavricables I explained that I was aware much of the value of the cable was in the Lightning end so I knew they'd need it back, but I also asked if, with confirmation of return shipping of the broken cable, they could pre-send another to save time on a twice round-the-world journey.

What I was disappointed to find however, was that despite the cable costing over USD $100, Lavricables refused to cover it under warranty and instead requested a USD $30 repair charge in addition to the return shipping I'd have to pay. He would also not pre-send another cable until he'd received the broken one and payment for its repair. He requested pictures of the cable which I dutifully sent and then accused me of mistreating the cable and said things like "people have cut the cable and requested a free replacement before" implying I'd done the same or something similar. But why the hell would I?

His accusations wouldn't stand up in a court in Australia as he'd have to prove that I went out of my way to intentionally damage the cable and use it in a manner in which it wasn't intended and there's a very low likelihood that any normal, sane person would do that so the burden of proof is very high indeed! My Mojo and phone are perfect!

Whether it's the Micro-USB spec itself or his build that's to fault I don't know but I used it as intended with my Mojo and iPhone happily for about five months. When it stopped working the USB plug on the cable was loose. At this point I tried to massage the plug thinking there was an internal plug-connection before my brother managed to easily completely separate the plug from the cable, exposing four silver wires. I've never had a USB plug break on me like this, which implies that something about the design is insufficiently robust and not fit for purpose.

I also note that because of the position of the Lightning and USB ends in the phone and Mojo the cable is forced to bend against the plug, and being very short this no doubt puts strain on the plugs. Perhaps this wasn't considered in the design or there is insufficient slack in the plug itself, both of which imply that the design is insufficient and that the maker should be compelled to cover it under warranty. The cable should be designed to compensate for this bend.

I'm not sure whether all businesses that sell EU-made products from within the EU are bound by EU warranty requirements but I thought they were or else what's the point? The EU trade laws are deliberately designed to encourage/increase the reputation of EU member states and discourage environmental wastage and it's this reputation that swayed my decision to purchase from Lavricables as opposed to Hong Kong or somewhere else. So it seems my faith in paying a premium for an EU-made product was misguided.

I'm not particularly interested in supporting his business anymore so I don't want to pay the USD $30 to get it repaired or replaced. If anyone else wants it I'll be happy to send you the broken cable, but personally I'd prefer to shop elsewhere from now on.

Disappointed to report this experience but it is what it is.

Looking forward to that wireless Mojo solution!

cheers guys!

just to clarify this situation from both ends so it would not look like it is now.
the cable has been used by Simon for half of the year and when I got a picture (pls see att) it was pretty obvious that it was misused as he managed to tear out one of the ends somehow...
I was very curious and asked to explain how that was possible to do (I've never seen that before), but got the only explanation that he has several witnesses that the cable was used properly. Besides that I received some emails with threats about Autralian and EU court if I will not send a replacement immediately for free and bla-bla-bla...

Well, in other cases I would have sent a replacement for free indeed (many guys here know and could confirm that), however devastated cable + different threats from the customer forced me not to do that. Indeed my offer was to fix it for 30usd delivered back. From my perspective it was fair enough for a misused diy cable. Perhaps somebody would not agree with me, nevertheless I do not force anybody to buy 100usd mojo cable, it's your own choice. Moreover I do not state that this is bullet proof construction. That is not so and I am convinced that every cable could be damaged if not used properly, especially diy one. However what I could guarantee is that all customers will be treated in the best manner and will receive support from my side despite different situations that might occur. 

Take care about your gear and expensive custom cables, guys! It's always better to communicate and find a decent solution without any threats and so on...

best regards,
lavricables

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #30,546 of 42,765
Simon, How in the world did that happen ? And you want money back after six months? Come on !

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #30,547 of 42,765
it seems that the cable passed a rude test ....
cables had some flexibility but have a limit
I use simple cables and get fair results, is ok for me

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #30,548 of 42,765
it seems that the cable passed a rude test ....
cables had some flexibility but have a limit
I use simple cables and get fair results, is ok for me
I jam my Mojo cable first in my jean pockets almost every day and the cable never broke.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #30,549 of 42,765
The question that arises in my mind is, why would anyone pay that kind of cash for a little USB cable? And $30 to repair it plus shipping! Why not just get a new one for $10 and forget all about this?

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #30,550 of 42,765
The question that arises in my mind is, why would anyone pay that kind of cash for a little USB cable? And $30 to repair it plus shipping! Why not just get a new one for $10 and forget all about this?
Cause of: sound, fit, build, lioks. I live where I can demo thirty different OTG cables and they do sound differently.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #30,551 of 42,765

cheers guys!

just to clarify
best regards,
lavricables

Looks like miss-use to me from that photo. The end of the micro USB looks to be completely out of alignment, likely due to being caught while plugged into the device which then yanked the cable out of the end connector with such force it snapped the cable !! 

You did right to post your alternative view-point.  As to cost, its a custom hand-made cable that integrates the Apple chip from a Genuine Apple camera connection kit with premium wire into an ideal size.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #30,553 of 42,765
Did you make sure they were all broken in correctly? At least 150 hours?
Believe what you like and thats good for your bank account.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #30,554 of 42,765
Thanks guys, I'll just wait. Well... With a t1 2nd ed.

I've had it before in the past but it's been a while.

Would you guys say t1 2nd ed has decent synergy with mojo?

I recently had the Beyer T1 Gen 2 and used it with the Mojo.

I no longer have both.

If you want a versatile solution that does excitement, speed and dynamics - I  would suggest that you sell your Mojo and don't buy the T1.2. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back