Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #30,573 of 42,765
  Had?
Does that mean that you have got rid of them already?
I thought that you liked them.

I love it with softer recordings, but not with everything. (Though it still sounds good with everything.) I did a trial trade for a TH900. The owner only wanted to try the Elear to see if he wanted to buy it. Since he was already done with it, he was kind enough to send the Elear to someone I'm trading with for an LCD-X, and he's letting me keep his TH900 for awhile longer.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #30,574 of 42,765

I love it with softer recordings, but not with everything. (Though it still sounds good with everything.) I did a trial trade for a TH900. The owner only wanted to try the Elear to see if he wanted to buy it. Since he was already done with it, he was kind enough to send the Elear to someone I'm trading with for an LCD-X, and he's letting me keep his TH900 for awhile longer.

I see. What a complex life you lead. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #30,575 of 42,765
  @KookaBurrra, that Hidizs looks a tempting idea. I have been looking for a player that's OK sound quality on its own. Plus supports high-res, and pairs with Mojo. Nice find: nice post.

(I'd be interested to hear how it sounds alone. Am off to google it.) 

I do not try it "alone" for the moment, I have a DAP in addition : the Cowon Plenue 1... 
beyersmile.png

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #30,576 of 42,765
  anyone else have the impression that the Mojo sounds a bit bloated with the Focal Elears?

Elear and Mojo combination is little dark or shall I say warm sounding. There is this 4-5KHz dip and Mojo doesn't help on that.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #30,578 of 42,765
I went to CanJam in New York a few weeks ago and was really impressed with the Mojo Poly. This was my first time trying out the Mojo  Leaving the Poly aside for the moment, I am considering selling my Sony ZX2 DAP and replacing it with the Mojo. My source will then be the iPhone 6 accessing my music library via JRemote (new to that as well). I really like the ability to access my entire music library in the native formats via JRemote, and the iPhone / Mojo combo may be my next target system. Can anyone offer some impressions of the audio quality of the Mojo when compared to the ZX2?

Looking forward to joining the Mojo conversation (albeit a bit late).

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #30,579 of 42,765
  I went to CanJam in New York a few weeks ago and was really impressed with the Mojo Poly. This was my first time trying out the Mojo  Leaving the Poly aside for the moment, I am considering selling my Sony ZX2 DAP and replacing it with the Mojo. My source will then be the iPhone 6 accessing my music library via JRemote (new to that as well). I really like the ability to access my entire music library in the native formats via JRemote, and the iPhone / Mojo combo may be my next target system. Can anyone offer some impressions of the audio quality of the Mojo when compared to the ZX2?

I cannot comment on the ZX2 however I can comment on using an iPhone > Mojo.  As you have surmised this is an extremely powerful combination.  I run Tidal on my iPhone and am able to access full resolution streams via the internet and full resolution off line stored on the iPhone.  When in my house I can use any one of a number of apps which will allow me to access files stored on an external hard drive connected to a downstairs iMac.  The same is true with a NAS.  As for JRiver I am also new to that and I am using it in a very specific situation - to access my ENTIRE music library in full resolution when I am away from my house.  Thats correct - JRiver has an iOS app which allows me to access my library from another state - or another country.

So yes iPhone > Mojo is an extremely powerful solution - more powerful than a DAP.

In case you have not seen this article - it makes for interesting reading

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #30,580 of 42,765

I cannot comment on the ZX2 however I can comment on using an iPhone > Mojo.  As you have surmised this is an extremely powerful combination.  I run Tidal on my iPhone and am able to access full resolution streams via the internet and full resolution off line stored on the iPhone.  When in my house I can use any one of a number of apps which will allow me to access files stored on an external hard drive connected to a downstairs iMac.  The same is true with a NAS.  As for JRiver I am also new to that and I am using it in a very specific situation - to access my ENTIRE music library in full resolution when I am away from my house.  Thats correct - JRiver has an iOS app which allows me to access my library from another state - or another country.

So yes iPhone > Mojo is an extremely powerful solution - more powerful than a DAP.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/

I'm considering experimenting with JR River.
..I did trial Roon and have been invited to trial their new 1.3 version.
have you also tried Roon, esp the new version?

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #30,581 of 42,765

I followed that article to setup my NAS, and I love the flexibility it gives me. Tonight, without the Mojo, I used JRemote to listen to Bob Dylan streaming from my NAS while heading home on the bus.  It was great.  Two days from now I will have the Mojo (I ordered one from Amazon after my post). Looking forward to taking it out for a test drive.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #30,582 of 42,765
I'm considering experimenting with JR River.
..I did trial Roon and have been invited to trial their new 1.3 version.
have you also tried Roon, esp the new version?

My main listening is 2 channel - a TOTL Naim/Linn system. All of us in Linn world are waiting for Linn and ROON to make nice and come to some sort of an agreement. Hopefully it looks like it may be happening - exciting as ROON looks unbelievable.

I just started with JRiver two weeks ago after reading that article. Guess what - it really works! I was down On a trip and able to access my entire music collection - full res FLAC- which resided up north.

Truly incredible

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #30,583 of 42,765

Hi @DavidW Here are my very amateur opinions of ZX2 > Mojo. (I use iPhone 6S+, Mojo with accessory pack, SW24, Encore IEM)
I bought the ZX2 first. I loved it. Amazed at the sound quality. Then I bought SW24 TRRS cable and was amazed how good it made the ZX2 sound. Brilliant. A truly great portable system. BUT, I hate Android, it is *****. Qobuz app crashes all the time, Amazon music app crashes all the time, the screen size is a little small.
Mojo - I bought this and this is all I use now. Paired with my iPhone this is the best set up for me, at home! On the move, ZX2, at home, Mojo all the way for me.
Audio quality from Mojo is just aurally sublime to me. At times I find the Mojo better, however this is purely down to the 'brain burn in' between different devices imho.
With Mojo the hi-res music I have still sounds incredible and I just do not feel the need to use the ZX2 with TRRS.
My ZX2 is now in a case and not used.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #30,584 of 42,765
I have Tidal streaming through USB Audio Player Pro on Lossless... but the ball on my Mojo only ever glows red... when I stream directly from Tidal, the ball usually glows blue... is there some compression going on somewhere? When I play DSD files through UAPP the ball glows purple so that's fine, but only red through Tidal.

Am I missing something?

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #30,585 of 42,765
I have Tidal streaming through USB Audio Player Pro on Lossless... but the ball on my Mojo only ever glows red... when I stream directly from Tidal, the ball usually glows blue... is there some compression going on somewhere? When I play DSD files through UAPP the ball glows purple so that's fine, but only red through Tidal.

Am I missing something?

If this is Android, it sounds normal. UAPP bypasses the android audio system which upsamples to the highest rate the attached DAC can handle - hence the Tidal app shows blue (upsampled), while Tidal via UAPP (direct using UAPPs driver) shows red.

As far as I know, the only way round that is to use an older Sony Xperia phone running 4.4.4 which has a Sony option for "HD audio via USB" whereby all apps can use the Sony USB driver which feeds native bitrate to USB.  That's why I use a Z3C to feed my Mojo :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back