Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #30,586 of 42,765
I have Tidal streaming through USB Audio Player Pro on Lossless... but the ball on my Mojo only ever glows red... when I stream directly from Tidal, the ball usually glows blue... is there some compression going on somewhere? When I play DSD files through UAPP the ball glows purple so that's fine, but only red through Tidal.

Am I missing something?

Hey there,

Go to the UAPP settings and disable the upsampling to highest bit rate.
For DSD playback you should activate DOP (DSD over PCM).

This brings the best SQ from your Mojo!
You can find better, more detailed descriptions in Post #3

Edit: oh... only the DSD point is relevant, since the red light while playing Tidal means you listen bit perfect, already

Cheers

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #30,587 of 42,765
  If this is Android, it sounds normal. UAPP bypasses the android audio system which upsamples to the highest rate the attached DAC can handle - hence the Tidal app shows blue (upsampled), while Tidal via UAPP (direct using UAPPs driver) shows red.

As far as I know, the only way round that is to use an older Sony Xperia phone running 4.4.4 which has a Sony option for "HD audio via USB" whereby all apps can use the Sony USB driver which feeds native bitrate to USB.  That's why I use a Z3C to feed my Mojo :wink:

Hey there,

Go to the UAPP settings and disable the upsampling to highest bit rate.
For DSD playback you should activate DOP (DSD over PCM).

This brings the best SQ from your Mojo!
You can find better, more detailed descriptions in Post #3

Edit: oh... only the DSD point is relevant, since the red light while playing Tidal means you listen bit perfect, already

Cheers

Thank you both!

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #30,588 of 42,765

Subscribing to thread.

New owner of a Mojo driving HiFiMan X V2's :)

All Stock Cables.

I'm feeding it Foobar2000 (FLAC Rips, DTS, SACD, AC3) only player that does everything right on Windows IMHO (see thread I started on setup if interested).
Also will occasionally use Pandora.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #30,589 of 42,765
Also got a used Mojo (S/N #0210XX). No hissing here thankfully, after paying for it I was worried mine is in the trouble batch. 

Quite happy with it so far, still need to do some critical listening to pick out differences with other DACs. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #30,591 of 42,765
  Brand new Mojo S/N M049xxx I can't detect any hiss. Even tried blasting a "Silent" FLAC while charging.

All stock cables driving HiFiMan X V2's. (was using Beyerdynamic T1.2's)

I think the Hiss comes from the unit itself, not through headphones. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #30,592 of 42,765
Just experienced coil whine...
It only happened in the last few minutes of charging before the charging stopped. The unit was OFF.
I have no idea if it happened before, I'm usually not around to see it complete charging.
It's a 46xxx S/N with QR code.

So... is it faulty?

I ordered it from Amazon UK and only received it about 20 days ago. The 'void' sticker was not on properly when I got it btw - is it possible it was not new?

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #30,593 of 42,765
Probably something I've done...

I listen to music through foobar2000 on a Win 7 laptop via USB to the Mojo. This is working fine.

I also listen to youtube through Mojo + headphones via USB - same set up as above. This stopped working today.

So at the moment I can listen fine to foobar but anything through a browser is silent. I've tried Firefox and Chrome.

Any ideas?

It's been set up and working fine for ages so I've forgotten how I set it up! I think it was just a Win 7 driver from Chord.

Should all work? Why isn't it?

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #30,594 of 42,765
  Probably something I've done...

I listen to music through foobar2000 on a Win 7 laptop via USB to the Mojo. This is working fine.

I also listen to youtube through Mojo + headphones via USB - same set up as above. This stopped working today.

So at the moment I can listen fine to foobar but anything through a browser is silent. I've tried Firefox and Chrome.

Any ideas?

It's been set up and working fine for ages so I've forgotten how I set it up! I think it was just a Win 7 driver from Chord.

Should all work? Why isn't it?

Did you set the Mojo as the default sound device in Windows?

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #30,595 of 42,765
@mswlogo Yep, hissing is from the unit itself, not through the headphones. In at least a couple of examples (and probably others), playing music actually reduces the noise.

@Chikolad I believe if the unit was on, then your Mojo would probably continue to make noise. Like you say, if it's off, the charge cut off stops it.

Once again, the best way to tell if your (QR coded) Mojo does this:

Mojo powered left powered on.
Mojo connected to computer via USB, but no music playing.
Mojo left charging; noise usually kicks in at some point after the charge light goes white, this is usually within an hour but varies.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #30,597 of 42,765
  @mswlogo Yep, hissing is from the unit itself, not through the headphones. In at least a couple of examples (and probably others), playing music actually reduces the noise.

@Chikolad I believe if the unit was on, then your Mojo would probably continue to make noise. Like you say, if it's off, the charge cut off stops it.

Once again, the best way to tell if your (QR coded) Mojo does this:

Mojo powered left powered on.
Mojo connected to computer via USB, but no music playing.
Mojo left charging; noise usually kicks in at some point after the charge light goes white, this is usually within an hour but varies.

Thanks. So do we know if this is just a faulty batch? Do I have grounds or cause to return it to Amazon? Could this be an indication to a bigger problem that might develop over time or is this the full scope of the problem?

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #30,598 of 42,765
We don't know, and this is what I'm trying to establish... By looking at some of the posts from QR coded units on here it would appear that there is some sort of problem with a number of units.
At least one person with a 49xxx unit has said their's doesn't make noise, so *maybe* it's been silently fixed.

In my personal experience with Chord over this, they claimed it was 'normal', I protested a bit before they relented and replaced it with another hissing unit. Since they claim this is 'normal' there's not a lot more I can do about it at this point, which is why I'm making a bit of noise (excuse the pun) about it here, at the very least users like yourself will be able to return yours within your retailer's returns period (Amazon are good for this).

Ultimately I'd like @Mojo ideas to properly address this, the silence (excuse the pun) is deafening.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #30,600 of 42,765
  We don't know, and this is what I'm trying to establish... By looking at some of the posts from QR coded units on here it would appear that there is some sort of problem with a number of units.
At least one person with a 49xxx unit has said their's doesn't make noise, so *maybe* it's been silently fixed.

In my personal experience with Chord over this, they claimed it was 'normal', I protested a bit before they relented and replaced it with another hissing unit. Since they claim this is 'normal' there's not a lot more I can do about it at this point, which is why I'm making a bit of noise (excuse the pun) about it here, at the very least users like yourself will be able to return yours within your retailer's returns period (Amazon are good for this).

Ultimately I'd like @Mojo ideas to properly address this, the silence (excuse the pun) is deafening.

Thanks again.
Is this the same issue that's discussed in the FAQ in post #2 under "charging noise"? If so, looks like it's always been there. If it's not, bummer. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post#post_11992415

Users who are viewing this thread

Back