Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #30,512 of 42,765
I use an audio quest optical audio cable to feed the sound on the back of the mojo from my Asus Rog motherboards built in supreme fx sound card.

Nice motherboard! I have the MSI Gaming ones, but I don't use that PC. I actually use a Windows 10 tablet for everything and my gaming PC is attached to a tv. We'll see if the cable does anything.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #30,513 of 42,765
What's a cheap (300$ and down) portable amp that makes that I can feed it mojo and the sound to be more dynamic and fun.?

You want to connect the Mojo to a cheap portable amp? I have an expensive desktop amp and the Mojo is so good that I would not even bother trying to connect the two. My advice is to enjoy your Mojo and spend the $300 on beer.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #30,514 of 42,765
You want to connect the Mojo to a cheap portable amp? I have an expensive desktop amp and the Mojo is so good that I would not even bother trying to connect the two. My advice is to enjoy your Mojo and spend the $300 on beer.

I feel that mojo is lacking in some. Mid bass slam and just overall dynamics. I prefer the dac portion of mojo as it's tech is nice but I'd like to alter its sound slightly with an amp to make it fun.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #30,515 of 42,765
I feel that mojo is lacking in some. Mid bass slam and just overall dynamics. I prefer the dac portion of mojo as it's tech is nice but I'd like to alter its sound slightly with an amp to make it fun.

I bought a Schiit Fulla (which I previously owned) to use with the Yamaha HPH-MT220 (without Mojo in the chain) to get a more exciting sound. But with most headphones, I vastly prefer the Mojo.

The thing is, the Mojo is going to alter the transients and dynamics if it's in the chain at all. That's why when I want a more obnoxious, in-your-face type of sound, I use the Fulla alone. (Oh, and the Fulla only has a USB input anyway.)

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #30,516 of 42,765

Ok, $300 amp to improve on the Mojo, more than can be achieved by simply increasing the volume of the Mojo a notch or two? Anyone?

popcorn.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #30,517 of 42,765
Ok, $300 amp to improve on the Mojo, more than can be achieved by simply increasing the volume of the Mojo a notch or two? Anyone?

:popcorn:

Not improve... Just change and make it more exiting... And not to just make it louder.... U missed the point.. Twice

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #30,518 of 42,765
I bought a Schiit Fulla (which I previously owned) to use with the Yamaha HPH-MT220 (without Mojo in the chain) to get a more exciting sound. But with most headphones, I vastly prefer the Mojo.

The thing is, the Mojo is going to alter the transients and dynamics if it's in the chain at all. That's why when I want a more obnoxious, in-your-face type of sound, I use the Fulla alone. (Oh, and the Fulla only has a USB input anyway.)

Awesome, thanks. Usb input is fine how much is this?

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #30,519 of 42,765
Not improve... Just change and make it more exiting... And not to just make it louder.... U missed the point.. Twice

Although it may not alter the dynamics much, you can get more mid-bass slam by boosting those frequencies with an equalizer. That would do it more reliably than an amp, since sometimes you may get that from an amp and sometimes you won't. This is just something you can try for free before investing in an additional amp.

Awesome, thanks. Usb input is fine how much is this?

http://schiit.com/products/fulla

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #30,521 of 42,765

Ok, equalizer like someone said, or headphones that are more to your liking. 

I have an aversion to double amping, but don't let that bother you.

No double amping with the Mojo, there is no separate headphone amp built in to the Mojo. It drives headphones from the line-out stage of the DAC (like all Chord DACs).

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #30,522 of 42,765

No double amping with the Mojo, there is no separate headphone amp built in to the Mojo. It drives headphones from the line-out stage of the DAC (like all Chord DACs).

Semantics. It amplifies the signal to drive headphones. It is an amp though you can say it is not a separate one.

Adding another amp is however double amping no matter how you choose to twist and turn it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #30,523 of 42,765
  Semantics. It amplifies the signal to drive headphones. It is an amp though you can say it is not a separate one.

Adding another amp is however double amping no matter how you choose to twist and turn it.

The headphone output can function as a line out to an external amplifier. Every DAC (well, aside from perhaps the MSB SELECT DAC II) has some sort of amplification inside to amplify the signal and send it to an amp. If adding an amp to the Mojo is double amping, then so is adding any amp to any DAC.
wink_face.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #30,524 of 42,765

The headphone output can function as a line out to an external amplifier. Every DAC (well, aside from perhaps the MSB SELECT DAC II) has some sort of amplification inside to amplify the signal and send it to an amp. If adding an amp to the Mojo is double amping, then so is adding any amp to any DAC.
wink_face.gif

There is a difference between the Mojo and "any DAC". The line out of "any DAC" may or may not be very good for driving headphones since it is normally not designed for that task. The output of the Mojo can be used as a line out but it is also designed to drive headphones. For most other DACs this is not the case and hence they need an external amp. The Mojo doesn't.

Again this is really all semantics. Like you say, adding any amp to any DAC is in fact double amping in a sense. The point is that most DACs need it while the Mojo does not.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #30,525 of 42,765

There is a difference between the Mojo and "any DAC". The line out of "any DAC" may or may not be very good for driving headphones since it is normally not designed for that task. The output of the Mojo can be used as a line out but it is also designed to drive headphones. For most other DACs this is not the case and hence they need an external amp. The Mojo doesn't.

Again this is really all semantics. Like you say, adding any amp to any DAC is in fact double amping in a sense. The point is that most DACs need it while the Mojo does not.

The line out of "any DAC" does not have enough current to properly drive headphones since an amplifier is supposed to accept a line voltage  input. Also, the line out of "any DAC" is typically in the hundreds of ohms in resistance which is clearly unsuitable for driving headphone transducers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back