Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #30,481 of 42,765
Could I have damaged my mojo when I accidentally connected a jack cable from the Mojo's jack-output to my PC's amplified jack-output? I didn't play any music... maybe I tried to play the windows-ding-sound by clicking on the slider in the Windows Audio Mixer, can't remember..., after 10-20 seconds I realized my headphones were not connected :)D) and fixed it. Now when I try to click on the windows mixer, I only get a ding-sound 50% of the time, and an artifact-sound/no-sound the other 50 % of the time ... does anyone else not get windows-ding-sounds all the time by clicking on the level slider in windows? (im still using directsound, haven't tried wasapi or asio yet).

Music sounds fine though, yet I'm worried I might have damaged any thing... Is the Mojo's amplified output proctected from such a stupid mistake as I made?
Is it working now ?

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #30,482 of 42,765
It is working just fine. I think I'm just being silly. I mean it's fine when music is playing... it's only the windows audio mixer-sound that's buggy when I click on the slider; i.e. it doesn't always play, but I guess this has nothing to do with the mojo and is probably just something buggy with the windows/directsound and USB dacs in general. Or am I wrong?:D

Found this in the manual of the mojo:

"There are two 3.5mm stereo jack socket outputs for headphones. Both can be used at the same time and will drive all headphones and in ear monitors (with the exception of electrostatic) from 8 ohms impedance to 600 ohms. The outputs are also short circuit protected."

so i guess I can sleep well now.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #30,483 of 42,765
I'm looking for a good quality USB cable to connect the Mojo to a new MacBook Pro with only USB-c connectors, without using an adapter. Or do you feel an adapter (USB-c to USB-A female) won't affect the sound at all?

I picked this one up off of eBay. I'll let you know when it gets here (using it directly from HP Spectre X2 Tablet).

Side Note: I wonder how my Mogami W2893 USB cable sounds compared to pricier USB Cables.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #30,484 of 42,765
  it's only the windows audio mixer-sound that's buggy when I click on the slider; i.e. it doesn't always play, but I guess this has nothing to do with the mojo and is probably just something buggy with the windows/directsound

Just ignore whether the Windows sound icon makes that noise when you click the slider. This is normal.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #30,485 of 42,765
I *THINK* I may have solved my "coil whine" charging issue. I'm still testing though. I have let the Mojo play down to 50-75% battery level. Then plugged in, and "SILENT" so far!

Had a Palm Charger sitting in the bottom of a drawer in my nightstand from when I had a Palm Pre. It is rated at 1A. So far, I have it playing and charging at the same time (running for over 40 minutes so far, no whine).

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #30,486 of 42,765

Yeah the hissing problem with the newer units doesn't occur until the battery is 'full'. 
The battery has to be at 100% AND powered on, i.e. in trickle charge mode. 

From reading posts on here, it seems the problem is only with the QR coded units, the 2 I've been through are 46xxx and 47xxx. If you have an older 20xxx (or whatever) unit please do not post things like "I use the Anker charger, no hissing" as it's pretty much irrelevant, and only encourages people to waste money trying to fix this (it won't fix this).
Also post like "Just don't use it when it's charging" are not helpful, as Chord/Rob have always encouraged Mojo to be used this way, if the goalposts have moved it'd be good to let people know this before people buy this thing.

If I'm honest, I'm pretty disappointed with Chord's response to this problem, my experience was pretty much this.
Chord: "No it should not do that, we'll get it replaced"
Weeks later, still no replacement, Chord: "Actually it's normal, deal with it"
Me "This is lame, and because you dragged your feet I'm now out of returns period"
Chord "Ok, we'll replace it"

The new unit they sent still hisses whilst trickle charging, but (interestingly) it stops when music is playing. At this point, I'm begrudgingly accepting of that (as I suspect may end up with something worse if I get it replaced again), but I'm not exactly happy. It might 'only' be £400, but it's still marketed as an 'audiophile' product, the ONLY noise it should make is the music.
I suspect that Chord have a fairly large batch of these with this problem, and it seems they're more willing to stand by an 'audio' product that hisses than actually do the proper thing and recall the (IMO) faulty units.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #30,487 of 42,765
  Yeah the hissing problem with the newer units doesn't occur until the battery is 'full'. 

From reading posts on here, it seems the problem is only with the QR coded units, the 2 I've been through are 46xxx and 47xxx. If you have an older 20xxx (or whatever) unit please do not post things like "I use the Anker charger, no hissing" as it's pretty much irrelevant, and only encourages people to waste money trying to fix this (it won't fix this).
Also post like "Just don't use it when it's charging" are not helpful, as Chord/Rob have always encouraged Mojo to be used this way, if the goalposts have moved it'd be good to let people know this before people buy this thing.

If I'm honest, I'm pretty disappointed with Chord's response to this problem, my experience was pretty much this.
Me "This is lame, and because you dragged your feet I'm now out of returns period"

The new unit they sent still hisses whilst trickle charging, but (interestingly) it stops when music is playing. At this point, I'm begrudgingly accepting of that (as I suspect may end up with something worse if I get it replaced again), but I'm not exactly happy. It might 'only' be £400, but it's still marketed as an 'audiophile' product, the ONLY noise it should make is the music.
I suspect that Chord have a fairly large batch of these with this problem, and it seems they're more willing to stand by an 'audio' product that hisses than actually do the proper thing and recall the (IMO) faulty units.

So the only hissing that people encounter is when trickle charging? (I thought I read about it happening for some during normal charging too.)  And with some units, it's only heard through the headphones (or speakers) when music is not playing, while with others, it may hiss with music too?

I only use the cable that came with it, so I never charge it when in use and have never heard any hissing. Perhaps I would if I added a second cable. I do have a QR code unit with a 39xxx serial number.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #30,488 of 42,765

Ok, testing that out now. Anker should be here as well (and I'd be a little irritated if I spent the money and that doesn't fix it either).

Edit: You're right. Trickle charging does it. Why would a $500+ device do this? It is silly!  Hopefully, the Anker does something, or I'll wind up sending it back. I want to keep it plugged in all the time... when in use or not.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #30,489 of 42,765
@Music Alchemist Older units had different charging issues I'm talking specifically about QR code units (or possibly units 46xxx and up) in trickle charge mode whilst on/in use. If you only have one cable then the fact you don't have hissing is irrelevant, as I'm obviously talking about a scenario you're not familiar with.

@WayTooCrazy Good luck with the Anker, but in my experience with 2 units they make no difference. Even the iFi iPower, which is 2.5a and meant to be totally noise free made no difference.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #30,490 of 42,765
  @Music Alchemist Older units had different charging issues I'm talking specifically about QR code units (or possibly units 46xxx and up) in trickle charge mode whilst on/in use. If you only have one cable then the fact you don't have hissing is irrelevant, as I'm obviously talking about a scenario you're not familiar with.

@WayTooCrazy Good luck with the Anker, but in my experience with 2 units they make no difference. Even the iFi iPower, which is 2.5a and meant to be totally noise free made no difference.

I was just wondering if the hissing on new Mojos is caused by chargers that are maybe 2A or more. (I know originally it was something to with regulators.) No idea though, just thinking out loud.

I never got round to trying my new Anker charger yet. I think it does 1.3A. My current (other) charger is 1A. I was waiting to open the Anker charger since I just wrote off to Anker. I am just trying to verify that it's genuine as there is so very little about it on the internet. I am pretty sure it's genuine though.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #30,491 of 42,765

@GreenBow Nope, Apple 1A charger causes hissing exactly the same as my Anker 2.4a charger and the iFi 2.5a charger. 

Interestingly, my Amp (Naim Nait 5si) isn't earthed itself, usually requiring earthing via connection to a CD player (this is to avoid ground loops I believe). As my Macbook/Mojo combo doesn't seem to effectively earth the amp either, when the volume is up high you can hear the electrical noise these chargers are putting back into the mains circuit, the supposedly 'noise free' iFi one is by far the worst, followed by the Anker then the Apple. 
So whilst the Anker/iFi may provide Mojo with a 'cleaner' charge, it seems they do this at the expense of putting more noise back towards the amp/speakers, something to bear in mind if you're not plugging headphones straight into the Mojo.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #30,492 of 42,765

I suspect that i am one of the people that you are trying to have a dig at.

Many of the regulars on this thread, are just like myself, spending our unpaid free time, trying to help people like yourself who are experiencing problems.
You obviously attended the people skills training course, that teaches you that criticising those who try and help you, will encourage even more help.
Enjoy your evening.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #30,493 of 42,765
@miketlse
I'm not trying to have a personal dig at anyone, and I'm also trying to help others here.
It's just a bit frustrating when someone states "Units X, when doing X as well as X cause X" is usually met with "you're charging it wrong, read post 3, duh", when what myself (and others) are dealing with is clearly not covered in post 3. Also people posting responses about their experiences with older units, or units operating in a different way just makes it more difficult to get to the bottom of this problem.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #30,494 of 42,765

I was just wondering if the hissing on new Mojos is caused by chargers that are maybe 2A or more. (I know originally it was something to with regulators.) No idea though, just thinking out loud.

I never got round to trying my new Anker charger yet. I think it does 1.3A. My current (other) charger is 1A. I was waiting to open the Anker charger since I just wrote off to Anker. I am just trying to verify that it's genuine as there is so very little about it on the internet. I am pretty sure it's genuine though.

I was using 2A cell charger at first. Then I tried using USB direct from my Powered USB Hub (I doubt that even gets 1A out). Then I found the Palm charger which states 1A on it... so I was hoping that was the fix. I have even tried building a shielded Higher Quality USB cable from Mogami W2893 (and connected shielding to both ends of the cable). Nothing cleaned it up.

Update: Anker PowerPort 2 and Anker PowerLine cable did not change the issue. This pretty much kills the point of the Optical in for me (I don't have an DAP with Optical Out) and using it as a "DAC" only.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #30,495 of 42,765
  I was using 2A cell charger at first. Then I tried using USB direct from my Powered USB Hub (I doubt that even gets 1A out). Then I found the Palm charger which states 1A on it... so I was hoping that was the fix. I have even tried building a shielded Higher Quality USB cable from Mogami W2893 (and connected shielding to both ends of the cable). Nothing cleaned it up.

Update: Anker PowerPort 2 and Anker PowerLine cable did not change the issue. This pretty much kills the point of the Optical in for me (I don't have an DAP with Optical Out) and using it as a "DAC" only.

Not surprised to see this update after trying numerous cables, wall chargers and PC/laptop USB ports. Pretty disappointing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back