Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #30,468 of 42,765
Just bought a Mojo.

1. It crackles when I hold it in my hand and move it quickly. It's the volume buttons that crackle. Is this normal?

2. It hisses at the start of charging but then stops after a few minutes. Normal? EDIT: It stops after 5-15 seconds actually.

3. I made a mistake and put a 3,5 mm jack cable from my headphones into the Mojo, so that my Mojo was directly connected through analog to the computer (output to output :D) (I was tired), my computer wasnt playing anything and I quickly took it out, but can this have caused any damage? My computer was running though, but no music being played...Mojo was also turned on...

4. Are the two jack outputs identical in terms of sonic performance? :)D)

I have OCD btw.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #30,469 of 42,765
I have a S/N: 49XXX... mine hisses. I was actually thinking of building a USB cable for myself using my spare Mogami W2893 and hoping the better (thicker) wire and shielding would help eliminate the hissing. I still have the Anker PowerPort and PowerLine due tomorrow though, so will have to see.

My serial number is up there too. I really have to test this. I haven't noticed this behavior; maybe it's the charger and cable I choose to use (Just Mobile AluPlug & Alucable Duo Bundle). But I rarely have a silent environment too. I have to charge it up to and thru full charge, close the windows to super loud NYC, and mute the TV, dogs, and wife! (Haha to the last one)

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #30,471 of 42,765
Custom cable built... crossing fingers and hoping that this issue is now behind me.

Update: No. It changed the "pitch" of the whine, but it is still present. I also tried 3 different Cellphone chargers and they were all audible and produced the same issues. Hoping the Anker products will do something for me. It is kind of sad that such an expensive product has this type of issue. I wish Chord would have sent a charger and cable in the box that would quiet down the charging. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #30,472 of 42,765
I just got a mojo, mostly for for use in my main audio system connected to a power amplifier. It is really lovely, and it makes a lot of heavy big and expensive hardware obsolete/irrelevant. In terms of sound quality it is embarrassingly far ahead of the dac/headphone amp it replaces. It is not as convenient, does not have as many switchable inputs and no remote but I will take it in exchange for the low price and excellent sound quality. It is not every day that I can replace a component in my system, sell it for more than I paid for the new component, AND make a huge step forward in terms of sound quality.

Battery drive seems like an obvious solution for a dac these days, given the compact and powerful batteries that are available. No need to spend any money on power conditioners, power cords, etc...

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #30,473 of 42,765
I just got a mojo, mostly for for use in my main audio system connected to a power amplifier. It is really lovely, and it makes a lot of heavy big and expensive hardware obsolete/irrelevant. In terms of sound quality it is embarrassingly far ahead of the dac/headphone amp it replaces. It is not as convenient, does not have as many switchable inputs and no remote but I will take it in exchange for the low price and excellent sound quality. It is not every day that I can replace a component in my system, sell it for more than I paid for the new component, AND make a huge step forward in terms of sound quality.

Battery drive seems like an obvious solution for a dac these days, given the compact and powerful batteries that are available. No need to spend any money on power conditioners, power cords, etc...

Lots of people still love their DACs to have a separate electrical power supply into the wall.
Some people just won't buy the hugo2 because of that. Just personal prefs.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #30,474 of 42,765
Custom cable built... crossing fingers and hoping that this issue is now behind me.

Update: No. It changed the "pitch" of the whine, but it is still present. I also tried 3 different Cellphone chargers and they were all audible and produced the same issues. Hoping the Anker products will do something for me. It is kind of sad that such an expensive product has this type of issue. I wish Chord would have sent a charger and cable in the box that would quiet down the charging. 

Is your source USB? It's probably the computer's power supply. You can try cheater plug if it's he monitors that are hissing.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #30,475 of 42,765
Lots of people still love their DACs to have a separate electrical power supply into the wall.
Some people just won't buy the hugo2 because of that. Just personal prefs.

Yep, some people have a DAC connected to a special power cable, connected to a power purifier, connected to the wall. This dac is then connected to a headphone amp that is also connected to a special power cable, connected to a power purifier, connected to the wall. The power cable itself could easily cost more than a Mojo.

This is the beauty of today's world of hi fi. The options/permutations are almost endless. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #30,477 of 42,765
For the record,

Mine's serial number is also in the 20 thousands. No hiss under any circumstances, it is dead silent.

I have charging problem using the Belkin Micro USB cable via iPad Pro Charger initially.

Belkin USB C to Micro USB cable via my HDPlex LPS USB C output also pose problem in charging.

I'm have great result using my Samsung Micro USB Cable via Samsung S4 Charger NOW!

Regards Wayne

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #30,479 of 42,765
Mojo sounds... I have a S/N MO34XXX and it makes no strange sounds at all. Was surprised to read the other posts.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #30,480 of 42,765
Could I have damaged my mojo when I accidentally connected a jack cable from the Mojo's jack-output to my PC's amplified jack-output? I didn't play any music... maybe I tried to play the windows-ding-sound by clicking on the slider in the Windows Audio Mixer, can't remember..., after 10-20 seconds I realized my headphones were not connected :)D) and fixed it. Now when I try to click on the windows mixer, I only get a ding-sound 50% of the time, and an artifact-sound/no-sound the other 50 % of the time ... does anyone else not get windows-ding-sounds all the time by clicking on the level slider in windows? (im still using directsound, haven't tried wasapi or asio yet).

Music sounds fine though, yet I'm worried I might have damaged any thing... Is the Mojo's amplified output proctected from such a stupid mistake as I made?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back