Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #30,496 of 42,765

Not surprised to see this update after trying numerous cables, wall chargers and PC/laptop USB ports. Pretty disappointing. 

Agreed. I've already secured my return label. I'm not sure if I should attempt to get another unit or just get another product. I won't accept spending this kind of money for something that doesn't function (IMHO) properly.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #30,497 of 42,765
For those of us trying the new iOS Betas on our iPhones, my latest experience is below.
iPhone 6S+, Mojo with accessory pack, SW24, Encore U IEM.

iOS 10.3 Beta 3 has now changed to hopefully ensure that any lightning cable "should work as intended".
CCK now works fine with my iPhone 6S+
Lavricable does not work still and this has been the case for a while now. I know it could be sent back for a "fix", whatever that is, however I think I have spent enough on it already to further spend more money to get it to do what it should be doing anyway! I don't see why I should spend more to get it to work.
I am using the Mojo with accessory pack so will stick with that. This is and probably always will be a settee set up for me anyway.

Happy listening all :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #30,498 of 42,765
  Agreed. I've already secured my return label. I'm not sure if I should attempt to get another unit or just get another product. I won't accept spending this kind of money for something that doesn't function (IMHO) properly.

in that case go for the full blown Hugo 2 - you know it makes sense 
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #30,499 of 42,765

in that case go for the full blown Hugo 2 - you know it makes sense 
beerchug.gif

I'd have to wait for the end of summer or something to "charge" up my play funds first.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #30,500 of 42,765
Right, at least we're getting somewhere in confirming that there's a fairly consistent charge problem on (at least some) QR coded units, and that it cannot be fixed with Anker chargers or cables. 

I'd really like some better answers from Chord about this, they've been suspiciously silent whenever this problem has been brought up here, and like I say, in my personal correspondence with them they flipped from 'No, that is wrong' to 'actually, it's totally normal, nothing to worry about'. Is this consistent for other Chord audio products? If Hugo2 or Dave was to sit there hissing whilst plugged in would it be deemed normal?

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #30,501 of 42,765
  Right, at least we're getting somewhere in confirming that there's a fairly consistent charge problem on (at least some) QR coded units, and that it cannot be fixed with Anker chargers or cables. 

I'd really like some better answers from Chord about this, they've been suspiciously silent whenever this problem has been brought up here, and like I say, in my personal correspondence with them they flipped from 'No, that is wrong' to 'actually, it's totally normal, nothing to worry about'. Is this consistent for other Chord audio products? If Hugo2 or Dave was to sit there hissing whilst plugged in would it be deemed normal?

I doubt that. I'm going to try and contact them directly before I return the Mojo. I do like it and how well it pushes my LCD-2F, but if I have to "accept" the coil whine as "normal", I'd rather return it and get a different device altogether. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #30,502 of 42,765

I have one with the qr code on the box is that what you mean?

Anyway I got some hissing when plugged directly into the wall via usb (i have built in usb wall sockets that give a super fast charge at the same rate as if you were to plug in your normal power cord)

Anyway it hissed then I changed the cable to an Audio quest usb micro charger and the hissing stopped.

I just leave it plugged in all the time to my pc now as it's my main dac for everything now. No hissing or issues at all. And I use the same audio quest cable usb micro charger only it's plugged into my pc now instead of my wall socket, still get no hissing or anything at all.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #30,503 of 42,765
I have one with the qr code on the box is that what you mean?

Anyway I got some hissing when plugged directly into the wall via usb (i have built in usb wall sockets that give a super fast charge at the same rate as if you were to plug in your normal power cord)

Anyway it hissed then I changed the cable to an Audio quest usb micro charger and the hissing stopped.

I just leave it plugged in all the time to my pc now as it's my main dac for everything now. No hissing or issues at all. And I use the same audio quest cable usb micro charger only it's plugged into my pc now instead of my wall socket, still get no hissing or anything at all.

Which AQ cable? I've specifically built a Mogami W2893 cable with the shielding attached to the metal shield at both end of the cable. I don't see how it will make a difference, but I'm willing to try before returning this unit for a refund. How is AQ about returns if it doesn't fix my issue? I honestly don't see why I would have to spend so much money on cables and accessories on something that should have been addressed and corrected by the manufacturer. I believe he means the QR codes on the casing of the Mojo itself (which is what I have... S/N: 49XXX).

Side Note: I figured maybe I have "dirty power" going to the unit. I connected it directly to my HP Spectre X2 tablet (charge port) and it still hummed (when the Spectre was running off battery). So... it is definitely the Mojo.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #30,504 of 42,765
Which AQ cable? I've specifically built a Mogami W2893 cable with the shielding attached to the metal shield at both end of the cable. I don't see how it will make a difference, but I'm willing to try before returning this unit for a refund. How is AQ about returns if it doesn't fix my issue? I honestly don't see why I would have to spend so much money on cables and accessories on something that should have been addressed and corrected by the manufacturer. I believe he means the QR codes on the casing of the Mojo itself (which is what I have... S/N: 49XXX).

Side Note: I figured maybe I have "dirty power" going to the unit. I connected it directly to my HP Spectre X2 tablet (charge port) and it still hummed (when the Spectre was running off battery). So... it is definitely the Mojo.

Audio quest forest micro usb charger. Its 75cm long and cost me 50$AU

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #30,505 of 42,765
Audio quest forest micro usb charger. Its 75cm long and cost me 50$AU

I assume you meant USB cable and not charger. Unfortunately, the cable is from the same seller as my Mojo (which I've scheduled a RMA for). I've sent then an email explaining the situation, so I'll have to wait and see if they give me an issue returning both products if it doesn't work (and I do have big reservations that it would work), but I'm willing to try...as I do like the Mojo.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #30,506 of 42,765
From what I understand, Mojo can make charging noise if it's not quite getting 1A from the charger, and a very long or very thin USB cable can contribute to this.
As long as the cable is within USB spec, a 2.4A charger should be fine, the cable would have to be really really bad to absorb over 1.4A.

A short (less than 1m) commonly available Anker Powerline cable should be more than good enough.
If you're really worried that's not good enough buy a 20awg cable like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010XWJBYK/ 
I think 20awg is as good as it gets with USB, any thicker it won't even be within USB spec. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #30,508 of 42,765
I assume you meant USB cable and not charger. Unfortunately, the cable is from the same seller as my Mojo (which I've scheduled a RMA for). I've sent then an email explaining the situation, so I'll have to wait and see if they give me an issue returning both products if it doesn't work (and I do have big reservations that it would work), but I'm willing to try...as I do like the Mojo.

It's a USB cable yes, that can also be used as a full on wall socket charger if you connect your countries wall power unit to it.

In my case I have built in usb charging into my homes wall power sockets so i can just use it as a straight usb charger but get the advantage of the full power output via the usb and in turn it charges everything 3X faster.

However after its first full charge I now use that same usb cable plugged directly into my pc and just leave it there all the time. No hissing or anytging since switching to that cable.

With the crappier cable I was using that mad it hiss so i dont use that.

I read somewhere on here that, that hissing noise or whatever was caused by some usb chargers creating a vibrating effect within the mojo.

But if you have tried every cable on the planet then send the mojo back.

In fact just contact them and send it back now and get them to test and replace it. If they can't replicate it then its your usb.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #30,509 of 42,765
It's a USB cable yes, that can also be used as a full on wall socket charger if you connect your countries wall power unit to it.

In my case I have built in usb charging into my homes wall power sockets so i can just use it as a straight usb charger but get the advantage of the full power output via the usb and in turn it charges everything 3X faster.

However after its first full charge I now use that same usb cable plugged directly into my pc and just leave it there all the time. No hissing or anytging since switching to that cable.

With the crappier cable I was using that mad it hiss so i dont use that.

I read somewhere on here that, that hissing noise or whatever was caused by some usb chargers creating a vibrating effect within the mojo.

But if you have tried every cable on the planet then send the mojo back.

In fact just contact them and send it back now and get them to test and replace it. If they can't replicate it then its your usb.

I've already ordered the AQ Forest cable. Giving that a shot next. The vendor said they'd swap out my Mojo if that doesn't help.   Thanks for the help, I'll report back on Thursday when the cable gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back