Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 3, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #23,551 of 42,765
So I've set myself the challenge of reading this thread before deciding whether to get a Mojo or not. There's a little bit of my subconscious that's currently busy convincing everything else that I need one, and getting one in the same month as ordering a DJI Mavic (drone) isn't exactly compatible with marital bliss.

I'm currently about forty pages in.

Did a search to see if anyone's asked a similar question, and it seems not. My current setup is all Bluesound-based (it's basically 'posh Sonos', made by the people behind NAD). My 'sitting at my desk, working' headphones are Audioquest Nighthawks, which I like very much (and which I gather pair very well with Mojo). I'm using the headphone amp that's built into the Bluesound Node 2. Detailed info about the headphone circuitry is hard to come by; when I asked their support what sort of level its performance was at, the answer I got back was:

Does anyone have any idea how much of a step up in performance I am likely to experience moving from a Node to a Mojo? Will likely be using coaxial out from the Node.

Thanks in advance!

Measured performance wise, a large step up. Technically the Mojo is far superior. Personal preference wise, only you can tell. :)

Really, the best place to start is the third post of this thread and read through the posts by Rob Watts and you'll get an idea of how advanced the Mojo is and how unique it is with it's design approach. For starters, the Mojo basically outputs music from the DACs line-out and doesn't really have a separate amp section as such to add distortions to the sound. It's tuned smooth yet is very detailed as well. Some take time to appreciate the technicalities and natural timbre and excellent timing, others notice these things right away.

Just know that compared to the gear you've listed (and many others) the Mojo is a much better performer, and will able to drive a wider range of headphones than the Bluesound Node 2 (basing this only on the specs you gave).

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #23,553 of 42,765
many use an amp with mojo for hard to drive headphones

Hmm i guess my question is...

How good is the amp on the chord mojo?

Im currently using my ether C and it drives it just fine.

If i used the schiit magni with the chord mojo, would that be a upgrade or a downgrade?

Where does the chord mojo rank in amping? What amp does better than the chord mojo as a separate amp?

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #23,555 of 42,765

If i used the schiit magni with the chord mojo, would that be a upgrade or a downgrade?

Where does the chord mojo rank in amping? What amp does better than the chord mojo as a separate amp?

I prefer my ALO CDM over the MoJo, especially when using my larger 'can.  With my CIEMs, it's a crapshoot:  both sound wonderful in their own ways; sort of like BMW vs. Audi.

L3000.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #23,556 of 42,765
I prefer my ALO CDM over the MoJo, especially when using my larger 'can.  With my CIEMs, it's a crapshoot:  both sound wonderful in their own ways; sort of like BMW vs. Audi.

:L3000:
Are you talking about home use or home and portable use?

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #23,557 of 42,765
Are you talking about home use or home and portable use?

Home/Office use.  The CDM isn't really portable (transportable).  

Off topic but I think the new ALO Continental V5 would pair nicely with the MoJo; much more portable than the CDM.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #23,558 of 42,765

Those are some incredibly subjective questions... What specific parameters are you concerned about?

Power has already been answered... Mojo is more than capable of driving high impedance headphones.

Noise measurements are pretty well defined as well. The noise floor for Mojo sits around -110dBV.

THD+N measurements are also available 0.00017% @3Vrms

IMD, crosstalk, etc. are similarly defined by independent measurements. There is even impulse response data you can use to look at attack and decay.

You can compare this to your prospective amps of choice to make an informed decision.

It seems like in most cases the headphone design is the source of greatest error. Mojo seems to be pretty transparent.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #23,560 of 42,765
What's the likelihood of there being anything happen on the anniversary of the Mojo's release? I might just be in 'mobile phone annual upgrade' mode, but is there a chance they'll announce something new, or a tweaked version, or anything? How do Chord roll in terms of new products / updates / etc?

I'm up to page 70 now. I should have ploughed my way through the whole thread by November.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #23,561 of 42,765
  What's the likelihood of there being anything happen on the anniversary of the Mojo's release? I might just be in 'mobile phone annual upgrade' mode, but is there a chance they'll announce something new, or a tweaked version, or anything? How do Chord roll in terms of new products / updates / etc?

I'm up to page 70 now. I should have ploughed my way through the whole thread by November.

Chord is currently working on a Bluetooth module and an SD card reader module. None of which will be available anytime soon based on my current knowledge. If you're asking about a Mojo 2 or Mojo successor, well that's way too far away. I would imagine that would happen in another five years or so.

Btw, are you planning on reading this entire thread? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #23,563 of 42,765

I asked the same question earlier in this thread. Now I think there might not even be a Mojo2 (Why fixing it if it ain't broken?) 

I tried to read the whole thread as well but opted to read first 100 and last 100 pages instead. There are WAY TOO MANY pages...
confused_face.gif

You can always use the search function if you have a specific question, it's the most effective way IMHO.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #23,564 of 42,765
Reading the whole thread is more a delaying tactic so I don't have to explain a headphone amp and a drone in the same month...

That said, I'll probably cave and order one tomorrow. Hnngh.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #23,565 of 42,765
I asked the same question earlier in this thread. Now I think there might not even be a Mojo2 (Why fixing it if it ain't broken?) 

I'd love to see what a Mojo with a Zynq could do... get Linux booted up on the processor and now you have a very good starting platform for a DAP.

It'd take quite a bit of work... the design flow is a bit different than the normal RTL flow and there's some frustrating roadblocks to get through getting the thing to boot. It's still a relatively new part, so there's quite a few bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back