Chord Hugo
Aug 11, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #11,566 of 15,694
I bought the Hugo as a portable and have stubbornly resisted using it as my home desktop until a month ago but I can no longer deny myself the pleasure of the extra lifelike colour it provides. No amp required for my LCDx or HD800

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #11,567 of 15,694
hm... as much as i like the hd800 out of the hugo, makes them sound technically perfect (details, tone, separation), but not really 'serious', therefore i definitely prefer using a more powerful amp like my hp8 mk2 or v200, gives the sound some weight, mass and it becomes more like 'being there', thanks to the hugo being an outstanding dac (hugo replaced my previous audio-gd reference 10.32)

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #11,569 of 15,694
  One overlooked advantage of the Hugo for a permanent stationary desktop system like mine is that it runs very cool and does not generate (virtually) any annoying ambient heat.
If you use the Hugo amp itself (good) or use a nice cool external amp (better), you won't sweat it. This is a big deal to me.
The performance-quality to coolness ratio is probably as high as you could find anywhere I wager...

Before buying I tested the Hugo with the Audeze LCD-3 and it was like a perfect Tango. With the volume knob at "green/blue" level it was already loud enough for my ears.
Why would you need an external amp?

Personal preference. From a technical point of view it's almost certainly worse – the signal from the Hugo's headphone out driving the headphone directly is as pure as it gets. Any additional electronics in the signal path will make it worse in terms of accuracy and transparency, even massively so. But there's the phenomenon that amplifiers with their own sonic signature and their tendency to smooth the signal make the sound more forgiving and euphonic. And oftentimes they change the sonic balance in favor of low frequencies – a consequence of the inevitable signal rounding –, making for a bigger, more authoritative sound. That's especially favorable with generally bright headphones such as the HD 800. But the damage in the form of signal degradation is the price to pay for this kind of component matching.

My experience with the Hugo is that it drives all my headphones exceptionally well. None of my amps can hold a candle to it when it comes to accuracy and transparency. To be fair, I should mention that I equalize all my headphones, so I'm largely independent from component synergy.

Here's what Rob Watts has to say about the subject. And here's a brief review of the Hugo driving the HiFiMan HE1000.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #11,570 of 15,694
I have an option on a used unit of Chord Hugo. 
My question; Hugo or 2Cute for the same price? 
It's for a desktop setup... with a Bryston BHA-1 amp and CD player SA8004. 

Do the Chord do a great improvement on my SA8004? any need of BHA-1 if I had the Hugo? 

Merci 

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #11,571 of 15,694

Do the Chord do a great improvement on my SA8004? any need of BHA-1 if I had the Hugo? 

Merci​

With the Hugo (depending on your headphones and your subjective interpretation of needed power) you don't need a headphone amp.  The 2Qute does.   The Hugo is mobile but is very sensitive to source (see Regen for USB input).  The 2Qute has galvanic isolation (still see Regen for USB input).  The 2Qute needs a separate power source, which in my opinion is a positive (better possible SQ with LPS), negative for mobility. 

In my subjective opinion, never heard the SA8004, yes the Chord will be an upgrade in SQ for DAC. 

Final opinion:  If I we're considering this choice today and did not already have the Hugo,  I would get the Hugo if mobility is in your needs, even semi (less supporting gear needed).

If mobility is not in your needs and money is not a concern, the 2Qute, better possible SQ with good quality power supply.  But more expensive in that you will need to keep the headphone amp and buy a separate LPS. If this would be my choice for reasons outlined, I would wait for DAVE, sell the headphone amp.  Meanwhile I would get the Hugo to cover me and resell once DAVE arrives.

For resale ability, the Hugo will hold more value down the road, bigger market place with mobile.

Thus Hugo, no matter what is the choice.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #11,572 of 15,694

Merci 

fot the same price, definitely the hugo, especially if it's still under warranty, hugo's amp is excellent, and has a very special sound, go go hugo go go!

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #11,573 of 15,694
  Very brief OT:
Hey elviscaprice, I thought I had one of the most exotic locations in my signature but you beat me to it.

What does a Hugo owner do in Jaco'??

From Lonley Planet:
"Few places in Costa Rica generate such divergent opinions and paradoxical realities as Jacó. Partying surfers, North American retirees and international developers laud Jacó for its devil-may-care atmosphere, bustling streets and booming real-estate opportunities. Observant ecotourists, marginalized Ticos and loyalists of the 'old Costa Rica' absolutely despise the place for the exact same reasons."

I love this forum!

LOL, pura vida! my friend, everything is possible.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #11,574 of 15,694
Define "serious"?

if you read my whole previous post i explained it, and i pointed out it was based on the experience with the hd800,

but i'll add that each instrument's harmonics, with the hugo/v200/hd800 chain, are portrayed more balanced with no obvious common convergence between instruments, while with hugo/hd800, all instruments exhibits a distinct exaltation of their mid to mid-high harmonics (tho the difference is minimal)

i base my observations on the comparison with my experience when attending live gigs

again, this is more about the hd800 setup than the hugo as an amp, cos the hugo does get more 'serious' with lower impedance / more efficient cans,

also i find the v200 to be The HD800's SS amp, for me, with the hugo sharing second spot with some others ss, i also like tube amps and all that make me forget i'm wearing headphones (aka transparency, usually folks will talk about how a piece of gear is transparent when it makes other gear coloration evident, for me i like to think of it as the sum, what the whole chain translates to)

from my experience, based on the gear i had, FR and THD never played any part in transparency, now you'll ask 'how's that? that are the only things that make the difference in sound between gear', and i'll tell you that i don't know schiit, but my two amps both have 0-20k(+- 0dB) and < -110dB thd+n at the levels i listen to, yet they both sound totally different, guess there's something to do with energy ratio distribution between harmonics

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #11,575 of 15,694

With the Hugo (depending on your headphones and your subjective interpretation of needed power) you don't need a headphone amp.  The 2Qute does.   The Hugo is mobile but is very sensitive to source (see Regen for USB input).  The 2Qute has galvanic isolation (still see Regen for USB input).  The 2Qute needs a separate power source, which in my opinion is a positive (better possible SQ with LPS), negative for mobility. 

In my subjective opinion, never heard the SA8004, yes the Chord will be an upgrade in SQ for DAC. 

Final opinion:  If I we're considering this choice today and did not already have the Hugo,  I would get the Hugo if mobility is in your needs, even semi (less supporting gear needed).

If mobility is not in your needs and money is not a concern, the 2Qute, better possible SQ with good quality power supply.  But more expensive in that you will need to keep the headphone amp and buy a separate LPS. If this would be my choice for reasons outlined, I would wait for DAVE, sell the headphone amp.  Meanwhile I would get the Hugo to cover me and resell once DAVE arrives.

For resale ability, the Hugo will hold more value down the road, bigger market place with mobile.

Thus Hugo, no matter what is the choice.

I also had a vinyl source. So, I'll need an amp for my vinyl source too. It's the reason why I think to hold the BHA-1. 
Me too, I think the Hugo will keep a better value on the market; so... 

Do the sound will be better with a 2Cute?
f I use Hugo mainly with my cd player, do I need the better usb plug of the 2Cute??

How many years is the warranty of the Chord Hugo?

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #11,576 of 15,694

Merci 

Once you hear the Hugo in your desktop set-up you will want to take it with you when you are away from home, so go with the Hugo as you get the option of portability.

You get a 3 year warranty with the Hugo (batteries are for a less lengthy period ) and I believe the warranty is transferable.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #11,577 of 15,694

I also had a vinyl source. So, I'll need an amp for my vinyl source too. It's the reason why I think to hold the BHA-1. 
Me too, I think the Hugo will keep a better value on the market; so... 

Do the sound will be better with a 2Cute?
f I use Hugo mainly with my cd player, do I need the better usb plug of the 2Cute??

How many years is the warranty of the Chord Hugo ​

I think the SQ via optical will be too close to call between the two.  Technically they should be the same.  The only variable would be the ability to give the 2Qute a better power supply than the Hugo.  Thus better SQ.
Hugo warranty is 3 years with registration, but I believe it's to the original owner, not sure on that one if transferable.  For your kind of fixed use, can't imagine it ever being an issue, warranty.  Just be careful with the inputs and outputs, these seem to be the most vulnerable feature on the older Hugo's, otherwise it's a tank.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #11,578 of 15,694
You get a 3 year warranty with the Hugo (batteries are for a less lengthy period ) and I believe the warranty is transferable.

you are correct Sir, the only requirement on Warranty transfers is that the product has been registered by the original owner (point of sale) and the second-owner(s) notify Chord that they now own the unit.

All Chord Electronics products come with a three-year transferable warranty, hth... 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #11,579 of 15,694

you are correct Sir, the only requirement on Warranty transfers is that the product has been registered by the original owner (point of sale) and the second-owner(s) notify Chord that they now own the unit.

All Chord Electronics products come with a three-year transferable warranty, hth... 
normal_smile%20.gif

I just bought it here in Hong Kong and they mentioned only 1 year warranty...

What shall I do to make sure I get the 3 years?

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #11,580 of 15,694

I just bought it here in Hong Kong and they mentioned only 1 year warranty...

What shall I do to make sure I get the 3 years?

register your Hugo via Chord Electronics online, details inside product packaging... think the Dealership may of been quoting the batteries as I know the warranty is less for those though don't quote me, hth...
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back