Chord Hugo
Aug 10, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #11,551 of 15,694
Sensitivity is also a reason for hiss with HUGO. All BA iems, I've tried so far hiss with HUGO. IE800 is dead silent, Angie has the lowest hiss among BA iems. I think it's because of the inline varistor.
I thought so as well but the K3003 have 125 dB vs 114 dB of the 846 but the hiss is slightly lower.
I'm a little bit confused.
What is the technical reason for the hiss anyway?
A portable DAC that hisses with two of the best non-custom earphones available today?

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #11,552 of 15,694
I thought so as well but the K3003 have 125 dB vs 114 dB of the 846 but the hiss is slightly lower.
I'm a little bit confused.
What is the technical reason for the hiss anyway?
A portable DAC that hisses with two of the best non-custom earphones available today?

They designed HUGO with HD800 in mind, not iems. A desktop level Performance in portable package.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #11,553 of 15,694
They designed HUGO with HD800 in mind, not iems. A desktop level Performance in portable package.

But they would not have been designed for portable usage with huge headphones that are open back and hard to drive while walking around eh?

Sure if you want to "Hugo" with the Hugo while listening to a HD800 go ahead. It's just not what a lot of people do while walking around (I do know certain people who do though).

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #11,554 of 15,694
But they would not have been designed for portable usage with huge headphones that are open back and hard to drive while walking around eh?

Sure if you want to "Hugo" with the Hugo while listening to a HD800 go ahead. It's just not what a lot of people do while walking around (I do know certain people who do though).

Portable as not in traditional sense. It's for using at your desk at office, hotels during travel, when you don't have access to your desktop setup. We are wishing for a true iem-specific HUGO Jr in the Hugo portable thread. Seriously who needs three output types for portable use, when adapters would do the same job.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #11,555 of 15,694
i see hugo more like indoor portable, like to carry it from home to the office or on vacation etc... when on the road i usually just plug my se530 directly into my sources, smartphone, laptop, dap... and actually there is always more hum than with the hugo, which is impressive for the hugo, if you think how much more gain it has!

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #11,556 of 15,694
i see hugo more like indoor portable, like to carry it from home to the office or on vacation etc... when on the road i usually just plug my se530 directly into my sources, smartphone, laptop, dap... and actually there is always more hum than with the hugo, which is impressive for the hugo, if you think how much more gain it has!
Good point!

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #11,557 of 15,694

I agree.  I call the Hugo the perfect Semi-Portable DAC.  Built like a tank but the inputs and outputs need care when in operation.   Perfect for desktop audio, even at your primary home.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #11,558 of 15,694

yup I've see them, cybermen...
blink.gif

(http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/cybermen/)

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #11,560 of 15,694
I don't want to jinx things but despite the cost which is definitely an issue the Hugo is one of the very best audio products I have ever bought.The unit allows me to do just about anything i want and listen to just about anything and the sound is glorious.I suppose the only small criticism is that the amp is not quite up to par with the amazing DAC but that said the amp is solid and workmanlike.....the Hugo deserves all the plaudits it has garnered

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #11,561 of 15,694
I don't want to jinx things but despite the cost which is definitely an issue the Hugo is one of the very best audio products I have ever bought.The unit allows me to do just about anything i want and listen to just about anything and the sound is glorious.I suppose the only small criticism is that the amp is not quite up to par with the amazing DAC but that said the amp is solid and workmanlike.....the Hugo deserves all the plaudits it has garnered

Mmm plaudits. :beers:

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #11,562 of 15,694

+1

Drives my T1 to utter perfection. In fact I barely use my balanced chain including M51 to V281 or speaker amp to HE6 because of how good it is with the Beyers. Helped by me realising that I have optical out on my laptop which to me sounds better than usb.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #11,563 of 15,694
One overlooked advantage of the Hugo for a permanent stationary desktop system like mine is that it runs very cool and does not generate (virtually) any annoying ambient heat.
If you use the Hugo amp itself (good) or use a nice cool external amp (better), you won't sweat it. This is a big deal to me.
The performance-quality to coolness ratio is probably as high as you could find anywhere I wager...

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #11,564 of 15,694
  If you use the Hugo amp itself (good) or use a nice cool external amp (better), you won't sweat it. 

Before buying I tested the Hugo with the Audeze LCD-3 and it was like a perfect Tango. With the volume knob at "green/blue" level it was already loud enough for my ears.
Why would you need an external amp?

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #11,565 of 15,694

I agree.  I call the Hugo the perfect Semi-Portable DAC.  Built like a tank but the inputs and outputs need care when in operation.   Perfect for desktop audio, even at your primary home.

Very brief OT:
Hey elviscaprice, I thought I had one of the most exotic locations in my signature but you beat me to it.

What does a Hugo owner do in Jaco'??

From Lonley Planet:
"Few places in Costa Rica generate such divergent opinions and paradoxical realities as Jacó. Partying surfers, North American retirees and international developers laud Jacó for its devil-may-care atmosphere, bustling streets and booming real-estate opportunities. Observant ecotourists, marginalized Ticos and loyalists of the 'old Costa Rica' absolutely despise the place for the exact same reasons."

I love this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back