Chord Hugo
Aug 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #7,172 of 15,694

- there are, to the best of my knowledge, two versions out there. As unlikely as it is that your dealer will still have the first version, you need to know that there is a chance you wont be able to hook the Hugo up to certain custom cables - recessed connectors and $^#@^! micro-USB ports where they could have used mini USB.
The recessed rca jacks are not as much of a problem as they look. They fit my Stealth ICs just fine. And the micro USB is working fine also after months of use. (Of course, I think micro-USB should never have been invented in the first place for any device at all; totally stupid and unnecessary. Mini or even fullsize should fit in just about anything.)

- some claim the Hugo is at the brighter end of the spectrum relative to other gear - personally I think it comes down to system matching
Meridian Direct and Dragonfly have more glare.

- several of us pine for a desktop version of the Hugo - as it stands, it's really only viable in that configuration with the power cord plugged in and the unit left on 24/7 - you'll know why when you get up close and personal with the tiny on/off switch. You also need to be aware that the Hugo will get quite warm with use and you need to periodically check that said warmth isnt excessive in your own rack.
Works fine for me in full-time desktop mode. Mine never gets more than barely warm plugged in 24/7, so I don't know why your hugo gets warm. On the rare occasion I use the on/off switch, I just use a pen with the tip retracted.

Perfect world, if I could transfer the internals to another case - complete with an IEC power connector and a decent on/off switch - I'd do it. I could live without the rainbow lighting effects and the novelty of the casework wears off very quickly. 
Agree.
But, no regrets and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Quad active speakers (12L model) sound great with my hugo-- great imaging/tonality/refinement.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #7,173 of 15,694
anyone able to recommend some desktop active speakers that pair well with the Hugo. would the focal cms 40 sound decent. cheers

I'm using the ADAM ARTist 3s, but more importantly, I'd suggest choosing a pair of active speakers that meet your needs. By that, whether or not they are closed, front ported or rear ported to suit where they will be placed, and what frequency range they will cover (smaller speakers may not go below 50 Hz for example) will be far more important than the source you are using them with.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #7,175 of 15,694
Just gotta say the Abyss + a Liquid Gold, with a Hugo driving the kit via Onkyo HF player on an iPod straight in to Hugo, is shockingly good. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #7,176 of 15,694
You also need to be aware that the Hugo will get quite warm with use and you need to periodically check that said warmth isnt excessive in your own rack

I asked a dealer about this and all Chord kit runs warm - but not hot - so it is fine. I've experienced higher temps in other kit before. Heck Auralic are selling the Gemini and every professional and end user pretty much consistently report the base is hot

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #7,177 of 15,694
  No more airmotiv's for you?

They are in the living room at the moment. I'm pondering upgrading to Unity Audio active speakers (ELAC drivers + E.A.R. amps!)

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #7,178 of 15,694
I just tried connecting my S5 to the hugo via hidef usb and it works, I tried 24/96 flac and it plays on the Hugo.  The LED showed yellow meaning 88.8 rate and there was some interference noise.  Not sure if this is the Samsungs fault though.
I think you'll find it is orange - for 48khz (the natural limit for stock android)...

As mentioned in the portable thread, using the 'Hi Power' USB doesn't work for OTG, but - works perfectly with USBAPP with the correct bit / sample rate.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #7,179 of 15,694
I think you'll find it is orange - for 48khz (the natural limit for stock android)...

As mentioned in the portable thread, using the 'Hi Power' USB doesn't work for OTG, but - works perfectly with USBAPP with the correct bit / sample rate.

No, it was yellow for 24/96 but dropped to orange for 16/44 when using the Hidef USB out.  I think the stock S5 music app can support 24/192 but when it outputs on USB it is doing something funky and messing with the bitrates.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #7,180 of 15,694
Nevermind, found my answers in the back posts.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #7,181 of 15,694

I'm happy because Hugo's sound signature is somewhat forward and my main headphones (HD650s) are laid-back in nature. Thus, they match well and sound great together. The same goes for Sennheiser Momentum which are also rather laid-back. I've heard Hugo+TH900 is also a great combo, that's understandable as TH900s are rather smooth sounding in mids and highs with deep bass extension. They'd probably sound too polite with many amps but definitely not with Hugo. Therefore, I'd expect aggressive and/or thin sounding headphones (Grados, Beyer T70/90) to sound rather harsh with Hugo. I don't like this type of headphones so it's not a problem for me.

I mainly use my Xs with the hugo.  But it smooths the harshness in my Grados.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,182 of 15,694
I mainly use my Xs with the hugo.  But it smooths the harshness in my Grados.

That's good to hear. I don't like Grado house sound much but it's nice to know Hugo does well with other signatures as well.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #7,184 of 15,694
I asked a dealer about this and all Chord kit runs warm - but not hot - so it is fine. I've experienced higher temps in other kit before. Heck Auralic are selling the Gemini and every professional and end user pretty much consistently report the base is hot

I've been running my Hugo for 3 days straight breaking in new cables for my HE-6, running the Hugo from my laptop into the Hifiman EF-6 to the HE-6, and it is barely above room temp.  I would even hesitate to call it warm.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #7,185 of 15,694
Hi all! Long time no seen. 
biggrin.gif

I am having an issue with white noise (or pink or whatever) when playing Netflix or other movie streaming services on my iPad Mini Retina running the latest iOS and the latest Netflix app (latest of everything). Anyone experienced the same?

It works like it should for a few minutes or seconds and then noise like a old school television without any channel.
Unplug and plug in the USB again and everything is like it should for a few minutes or seconds before the noise get back.

It has happened before too.. but not that often.. now it is happening all the time..

Any idea of what this could be?
It is pretty annoying and I would like it to work without this stupid noise..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back