Chord Hugo
Aug 4, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #7,186 of 15,694

Chord Electronics will be showing various products including the Hugo at the forthcoming Hi-End Show taking place in Hong-Kong.

The Event is taking place at: Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) between August 8th - August 10th 2014.

Chord’s stand will be Hosted by their famed distributor Xin He Audio & Chord MD John Franks so expect a warm & very friendly welcome.

Link: http://www.xinheaudio.com/

News Update:-

The Legend that is JH Audio will also be attending the Hong-Kong event & exhibiting their products along with the Chord Hugo.

JH Audio's stand will be hosted by the man himself Jerry Harvey whom will ably assisted by newly appointed VP Andy Regan.

No doubt John & Andy will rekindle their friendship which goes way back when.

Links: JH Audio: http://www.jhaudio.com/
Chord: http://chordelectronics.co.uk/

Looks like love is in the air as the news is 'Roxanne's dating Hugo'... aww bless...
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #7,187 of 15,694
I have a Hugo and have been wondering would the Audiophilleo1 & Pure Power improve the sound out of a MacBook Pro with SSD. I read in one of Rob Watts posts in this thread on the design of the Hugo's USB & DAC implementation and it seems to me that it may not help.

Can anyone shed any light on this or has tried the combo?

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #7,189 of 15,694
I'm so keen to hear what synergy chord and jh audio has up in the show.

Hi HeadFi members,

I have a question and forgive me if this has been discussed already. I tried a search on this long thread and it did not help.

I have a pair of custom JH Audio Roxannes and when I use my Chord Hugo to drive the Roxannes I can hardly use any of the Hugo volume when connected. From what I can tell, it is either due to the high sensitivity of the Roxannes or it is due to the power of the Hugo but I am not sure. 

Am I doing something wrong, or are the Roxannes not a good match for the Hugo? Is the gain on the Hugo too high for the Roxannes?

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #7,190 of 15,694
  I have a Hugo and have been wondering would the Audiophilleo1 & Pure Power improve the sound out of a MacBook Pro with SSD. I read in one of Rob Watts posts in this thread on the design of the Hugo's USB & DAC implementation and it seems to me that it may not help.

I already had an Audiophilleo 1/Pure Power and I prefer using it over the built-in USB. My feeling is that, while the difference is small, it pushes the Hugo into "magic" territory with the music I like. Maybe I should compare it to the optical input which wont carry any noise from the computer and sounds a very tiny bit smoother. So I wouldn't suggest going out and buying an AP1/PP unless that kind of money is just spare change for you. Also, one person with the DSD version had it sound worse rather than better. I have the regular version though DSD over DoP will pass through it.

I'm so keen to hear what synergy chord and jh audio has up in the show.

Hi HeadFi members,

I have a question and forgive me if this has been discussed already. I tried a search on this long thread and it did not help.

I have a pair of custom JH Audio Roxannes and when I use my Chord Hugo to drive the Roxannes I can hardly use any of the Hugo volume when connected. From what I can tell, it is either due to the high sensitivity of the Roxannes or it is due to the power of the Hugo but I am not sure. 

Am I doing something wrong, or are the Roxannes not a good match for the Hugo? Is the gain on the Hugo too high for the Roxannes?

What music do you listen to? I'd have to plug the Roxannes in to check, but most of the music I listen to isn't compressed and would probably be OK, but dynamic-range-compressed music (such as modern brick-walled pop and rock) would probably be too loud.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #7,191 of 15,694

What music do you listen to? I'd have to plug the Roxannes in to check, but most of the music I listen to isn't compressed and would probably be OK, but dynamic-range-compressed music (such as modern brick-walled pop and rock) would probably be too loud.

Hi Currawong,

This is my set-up:

AK 240 > Optical Out > Chord Hugo > Headphone Jack > Roxannes

I listen to mainly uncompressed FLAC files. Some DSD files. All kinds of music. Lots of jazz. Hugo gain seems to be too high in this setting.

Thank you for your input.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #7,192 of 15,694

I already had an Audiophilleo 1/Pure Power and I prefer using it over the built-in USB. My feeling is that, while the difference is small, it pushes the Hugo into "magic" territory with the music I like. Maybe I should compare it to the optical input which wont carry any noise from the computer and sounds a very tiny bit smoother. So I wouldn't suggest going out and buying an AP1/PP unless that kind of money is just spare change for you. Also, one person with the DSD version had it sound worse rather than better. I have the regular version though DSD over DoP will pass through it.

Just recently I have noticed difference with USB and Optical with integrated DACs.  Couple differences I notice.  Optical is definitely less louder than USB.  USB's treble sounds more bolder and harsher. The difference of the treble from USB and optical is more noticeable with Hugo. This really is perplexing to me.  

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #7,193 of 15,694
  Just recently I have noticed difference with USB and Optical with integrated DACs.  Couple differences I notice.  Optical is definitely less louder than USB.  USB's treble sounds more bolder and harsher. The difference of the treble from USB and optical is more noticeable with Hugo. This really is perplexing to me.  

+1 on that!

I have gone back to the Optical, the glare I was getting from USB has gone. interested in Burrawongs findings - in an earlier post he was going to try the Optical again.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #7,194 of 15,694
Sorry I've not been in this thread for a while but that's because I have been enjoying my Hugo too much!

Anyway - has there been any update on a Chord case for the Hugo to make it safe on the move?

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #7,195 of 15,694
I've frequently found that I get a lot of distortion when I first fire up the Chord Hugo. I usually have to stop a track and restart it before everything returns to normal. This happens with the Hugo connected via usb to my MacBook Pro and ipad. Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem?

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #7,196 of 15,694
Sorry I've not been in this thread for a while but that's because I have been enjoying my Hugo too much!

Anyway - has there been any update on a Chord case for the Hugo to make it safe on the move?

I spoke to John Franks about this last week, there's been a delay at the manufacturing regarding the suppliers but he's hoping to get them out soon, from what he said I'd say 4-6weeks time, hth.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #7,198 of 15,694

I spoke to John Franks about this last week, there's been a delay at the manufacturing regarding the suppliers but he's hoping to get them out soon, from what he said I'd say 4-6weeks time, hth.

Are there any leaked photos available of the case yet?!
biggrin.gif
  or order of magnitude of price that you know of OK-Guy?

I'm curious about Hugo with Senn. IE800s.My understanding is the highs on the Senns can be quite sharp,does the Hugo tame them at all? Thanks.

I tried them briefly with the hugo and I caveat that I couldn't get the fit very good in my right ear (kept falling out) but I did feel that the IE800's were too bright for me and I do like clarity at the top end without sounding harsh, but they were too much for me.

Perhaps getting the fit better would help improve the base and make them feel more rounded, but I personally wasn't convinced.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #7,200 of 15,694

i tried it and found it made this worse for me , i also tried a offramp 5 . but if you can borough one why not try. feeding it from my caps units made a notable improvement
but with the ap 1/pp it made it too bright and took the shine off the muisc . but this is me and currawang felt it helped so its worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back