Chord Hugo
Aug 2, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #7,156 of 15,694
Aug 2, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #7,157 of 15,694

You learn not to go there - it might take a few weeks of the silent treatment over a period of several years, but even the thickest of males eventually get it  :D

you really do need to learn about Shoes & Handbags... you can then say 'honey, work need me to work for a extra couple days, you go on ahead & treat yourself to a pair of 'Jimmy Choo' shoes, it's OK the overtime I'm doing will cover it'.

Dr Hugo sorts your probs...
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #7,158 of 15,694
you really do need to learn about Shoes & Handbags... you can then say 'honey, work need me to work for a extra couple days, you go on ahead & treat yourself to a pair of 'Jimmy Choo' shoes, it's OK the overtime I'm doing will cover it'.

Dr Hugo sorts your probs... :wink_face:  

I concur. Shoes and handbags do their job well for me. For extremely emergency situations, add a dash of DeBeers or two will get you out of the trickiest bind.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #7,159 of 15,694
Did someone tested the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (or LG G3) paired with the HUGO ?

I am still looking for an android device that will not need to use a special player like UAPP (or ONKO on the iPhone)  to send natif 24/96  to the HUGO without any downsampling ?  ( Sony ZX1 will be great...IF it had more than 128 Gb of total storage.  may be one day...ZX2 ?)

I am indeed considering swapping my AK100 for an android device to feed my HUGO just for the pleasure of being able to stream HD music from QOBUZ (when I want to explore music beyong of my own library)

(last evening I spend all night exploring the QOBUZ library with my Apple MacBook connected to the HUGO:   Great sound (I have a paid Qobuz HIFI Subscription) but...not a very portable solution 
biggrin.gif
 )

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #7,160 of 15,694

I am still looking for an android device that will not need to use a special player like UAPP (or ONKO on the iPhone)  to send natif 24/96  to the HUGO without any downsampling ?  ( Sony ZX1 will be great...IF it had more than 128 Gb of total storage.  may be one day...ZX2 ?)

you might want to pop into the other Hugo thread as I'm sure Duncan would have a answer for you regarding the Samsung.

Sony have hinted at a new Walkman with a SD-slot... they normally announce at CanJam but there are a couple of threads started but no real info as of yet, hth.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #7,161 of 15,694

I am indeed considering swapping my AK100 for an android device to feed my HUGO just for the pleasure of being able to stream HD music from QOBUZ (when I want to explore music beyong of my own library)

(last evening I spend all night exploring the QOBUZ library with my Apple MacBook connected to the HUGO:   Great sound (I have a paid Qobuz HIFI Subscription) but...not a very portable solution 
biggrin.gif
 )

I just tried connecting my S5 to the hugo via hidef usb and it works, I tried 24/96 flac and it plays on the Hugo.  The LED showed yellow meaning 88.8 rate and there was some interference noise.  Not sure if this is the Samsungs fault though.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #7,162 of 15,694
  I just tried connecting my S5 to the hugo via hidef usb and it works, I tried 24/96 flac and it plays on the Hugo.  The LED showed yellow meaning 88.8 rate and there was some interference noise.  Not sure if this is the Samsungs fault though.

thanks for the feedback.  

but... if a 24/96 flac showed a yellow 88.8 rate, this mean that the music has been downsampled
mad.gif
  The S5 did NOT stream bit-perfect to the HUGO
confused.gif
 ! 

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #7,163 of 15,694

you might want to pop into the other Hugo thread as I'm sure Duncan would have a answer for you regarding the Samsung.

Sony have hinted at a new Walkman with a SD-slot... they normally announce at CanJam but there are a couple of threads started but no real info as of yet, hth.

I tried with LG G3 through USB. It works wonder!

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7,164 of 15,694
  I tried with LG G3 through USB. It works wonder!

Thanks

When playing high res files like 24/96 or 24/192, did the colour of the light on the HUGO showed the same bit-rate (bit-perfect connection) or an inferior value (downsampling)

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #7,165 of 15,694
Anyone has regrets buying the Chord Hugo or is everybody happy? I can't demo it anywhere so I'll unfortunately have to rely on your opinions
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #7,166 of 15,694
  Anyone has regrets buying the Chord Hugo or is everybody happy? I can't demo it anywhere so I'll unfortunately have to rely on your opinions
biggrin.gif

I'm happy because Hugo's sound signature is somewhat forward and my main headphones (HD650s) are laid-back in nature. Thus, they match well and sound great together. The same goes for Sennheiser Momentum which are also rather laid-back. I've heard Hugo+TH900 is also a great combo, that's understandable as TH900s are rather smooth sounding in mids and highs with deep bass extension. They'd probably sound too polite with many amps but definitely not with Hugo. Therefore, I'd expect aggressive and/or thin sounding headphones (Grados, Beyer T70/90) to sound rather harsh with Hugo. I don't like this type of headphones so it's not a problem for me.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7,167 of 15,694
Anyone has regrets buying the Chord Hugo or is everybody happy? I can't demo it anywhere so I'll unfortunately have to rely on your opinions :D

No regrets from me. After three weeks the Hugo is still growing on me. I use it mostly with TH900 and ie800. One of the things that I love about Hugo is how it sounds with big symphonies. I can't get enough of Mahler, Beethoven, Bruckner, Brahms and Shostacovich! I love how I can hear everyone of the 80+ musicians. The timbre of the trumpets. The decaying sound of the timpany. The movement of clothing as musicians shift their weights in their seats. :wink: I wish more people would discovered this wonderful sound and music.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #7,168 of 15,694
biggrin.gif

Very happy with the purchase.  Bought it over some more expensive desktop DACs to primarily used at home with my WA22 and HD800/LCD3/HE6, but ended up ALSO bringing it out for portable use with my IEMs a lot.  Sometimes I just wish it has a docking station like those for laptops so I don't need to unplug the USB/RCA/Power supply when taking it out.....  

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #7,169 of 15,694
biggrin.gif

I'm happy with the sonics, but if I can go over some very old ground there are a couple of gotchas with this product:

- there are, to the best of my knowledge, two versions out there. As unlikely as it is that your dealer will still have the first version, you need to know that there is a chance you wont be able to hook the Hugo up to certain custom cables - recessed connectors and $^#@^! micro-USB ports where they could have used mini USB.

- some claim the Hugo is at the brighter end of the spectrum relative to other gear - personally I think it comes down to system matching

- several of us pine for a desktop version of the Hugo - as it stands, it's really only viable in that configuration with the power cord plugged in and the unit left on 24/7 - you'll know why when you get up close and personal with the tiny on/off switch. You also need to be aware that the Hugo will get quite warm with use and you need to periodically check that said warmth isnt excessive in your own rack.

Perfect world, if I could transfer the internals to another case - complete with an IEC power connector and a decent on/off switch - I'd do it. I could live without the rainbow lighting effects and the novelty of the casework wears off very quickly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back