Chord Hugo
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #14,956 of 15,692
  The bottom line is the Hugo 1 is basically a discontinued Chord DAC as soon as the Hugo 2 rolls out.  So any comparisons to the other Chord lineup is mute with the Hugo 1. 

On a side note, my move to the 2Qute was a great move from the Hugo 1.  As suspected the Lipo batteries have a poorer sound signature, speed/impedance than the Uptone LPS-1's.  Thus the ability to power the 2Qute with the LPS-1 has far exceeded my expectations or experience with the Hugo 1. 
Holding out for the 3Qute.

Which is interesting because Rob Watts attributes some of the Hugo/Mojo/Hugo2/HugoTT high quality sound to the use of these batteries.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #14,957 of 15,692
From my experience batteries are better compared to traditional main section.
Now i read linear supply. I don't know what is this but seems to me a transformer with regulators.
I don't have 2 qute for compairison but to my ears hugo sounds good
The solution in hugo TT remember me the hifi car: i had in the past a gigantic capacitor after the batterie(and fuse)

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #14,958 of 15,692
The bottom line is the Hugo 1 is basically a discontinued Chord DAC as soon as the Hugo 2 rolls out.  So any comparisons to the other Chord lineup is mute with the Hugo 1. 

On a side note, my move to the 2Qute was a great move from the Hugo 1.  As suspected the Lipo batteries have a poorer sound signature, speed/impedance than the Uptone LPS-1's.  Thus the ability to power the 2Qute with the LPS-1 has far exceeded my expectations or experience with the Hugo 1. 
Holding out for the 3Qute.

Again, that is ONLY your bottom line and the Hugo is not discontinued (http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product-type/dacs/) and this is the Hugo thread. So why are you posting here if those are your thoughts?

So based on this logic then we should only have TOTL threads and any products under these flagships should all have their threads deleted immediately. All Grado PS1000e conversation should end immediately because the PS2000e has been announced for example

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #14,959 of 15,692
  Which is interesting because Rob Watts attributes some of the Hugo/Mojo/Hugo2/HugoTT high quality sound to the use of these batteries.

​No doubt, Lipo batteries are the cheapest and best quality source for mobile applications.  But they are also not the best source possible, by a long shot, for the best sound quality, you don't see them in the DAVE.  EDIT

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #14,960 of 15,692

​No doubt, Lipo batteries are the cheapest and best quality source for mobile applications.  But they are also not the best source possible, by a long shot, for the best sound quality, you don't see them in the DAVE.  Thus one reason the TT excels over the Hugo 1 is because of a better power source, supercapacitors. 

erm, well, actually the Hugo TT also has the Lipo batteries but this time there are 4 instead of the 2 in the Hugo1.

Sure there are some capacitors as well but the 4 x lipo batteries are pretty much centre stage . . . . . .

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #14,961 of 15,692

erm, well, actually the Hugo TT also has the Lipo batteries but this time there are 4 instead of the 2 in the Hugo1.

Sure there are some capacitors as well but the 4 x lipo batteries are pretty much centre stage . . . . . .

​OOPs, thanks for pointing that out.  I've never heard a TT or seen one.  Good to know, it definitely went down a notch with this knowledge.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #14,962 of 15,692

​OOPs, thanks for pointing that out.  I've never heard a TT or seen one.  Good to know, it definitely went down a notch with this knowledge.

Good to know that people still talk cr4p about stuff they haven't heard! (I did have a TT and it sounded every good indeed, only bested by the Dave.) And that's why I am reserving judgement about the Hugo2 until I have compared it side by side to a Dave in a home environment with no background noise.

And of course, no hard feelings elviscaprice!

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #14,963 of 15,692

Good to know that people still talk cr4p about stuff they haven't heard! (I did have a TT and it sounded every good indeed, only bested by the Dave.) And that's why I am reserving judgement about the Hugo2 until I have compared it side by side to a Dave in a home environment with no background noise.

And of course, no hard feelings elviscaprice!

​Your right.  I am just drawing on the technical aspects considering the Hugo 1 did have Lipo batteries also, and from various experiences with other audio components with battery power supplies.  Not saying the Hugo 1 or TT are not great audio products as is, just that they could even be better with a better power supply.

Will be interested in your Hugo 2/DAVE comparison.  (I would suspect that the Lipo batteries still implemented in the Hugo 2 will be the weak point, but I would also be suspect of the power supply in the DAVE, but have little knowledge of it's makeup, or comparisons since it's built into the unit).

NOTE:  I am suspect of every power supply these days, knowing how much it can influence a components sound quality. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #14,965 of 15,692

Having heard Hugo II for 15 minutes last week, 'I believe' it to be more detailed and open than Hugo. Having had the Hugo TT on a weeks loan via the tour, I 'Know' it is significantly better than my Hugo. A better grip on the bass and more authority.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #14,966 of 15,692

​Your right.  I am just drawing on the technical aspects considering the Hugo 1 did have Lipo batteries also, and from various experiences with other audio components with battery power supplies.  Not saying the Hugo 1 or TT are not great audio products as is, just that they could even be better with a better power supply.

Will be interested in your Hugo 2/DAVE comparison.  (I would suspect that the Lipo batteries still implemented in the Hugo 2 will be the weak point, but I would also be suspect of the power supply in the DAVE, but have little knowledge of it's makeup, or comparisons since it's built into the unit).

NOTE:  I am suspect of every power supply these days, knowing how much it can influence a components sound quality. 

It is possible of course that Hugo 2 ( the subject of the rave reviews) also has the same batteries, albeit not soldered in this time.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #14,967 of 15,692

It is possible of course that Hugo 2 ( the subject of the rave reviews) also has the same batteries, albeit not soldered in this time.

​That is correct, already confirmed by John, removable (not soldered in), same batteries.  Also confirmed by Rob, Hugo 2 can operate on just the 5V 2A power input without the batteries, no tested for SQ, not suggested by Rob.
I shall wait for the 3Qute.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #14,968 of 15,692
Just a reminder for Mojo, Hugo, Hugo TT and future Hugo2 owners. If the batteries need replacement, make shure they replace ALL the batteries and not just the one that's gone dead because the other one(s) will follow soon after...

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #14,969 of 15,692

Quote:
  Just a reminder for Mojo, Hugo, Hugo TT and future Hugo2 owners. If the batteries need replacement, make shure they replace ALL the batteries and not just the one that's gone dead because the other one(s) will follow soon after...

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #14,970 of 15,692

Are you saying that they have actually not replaced all the batteries when one has gone dead? Seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back