Chord Hugo
Mar 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,141 of 15,694
it really doesn't matter what DAP or source you are using the resulting sound from the Hugo will be exactly the same... though it is nice to see a product outclassing a ridiculously priced one (imo) for half the cost (in UK). 

I have The Other opinion

Source : DAP like from DX 50 , HDP R 10 via line out has different SQ
Source : idevice via lightning to USB > USB to micro USB And Sony ZX 1 via USB
Has different SQ
Source : iPhone 4 S Mod + dac Class solo dB via COAX has different SQ
Source : AK 120 Titan mod via OPTICAL cable has different SQ

My best sounding source are like follow
Use COAX > USB High Res > OPTICAL

The SQ different is noticeable from so High quality. Dac / Amp like Hugo

IMO

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,142 of 15,694
@spkrs01 kindly called for a meet to try out the amazing Mass Kobo model 394 amp today at Jaben

we tried many different sources (RWAK120-S, HM-901, AK240, Hugo)  and headphones (TH900, LCD-3, Abyss AB-1266, HE-6).

To my ears, the best source goes to Chord Hugo

The 394 amp is fast, neutral and powerful sounding, it can drive all headphones with ease

The best headphones are the Abyss AB-1266

The best combination to myself is ipod touch > Chord Hugo > 394 > TH900

Thank You George For Sharing Your mini meet at Jaben Hong Kong

:beerchug:

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,143 of 15,694
I have The Other opinion

Has different SQ

IMO

Have to agree with Rudi here. The source and the method of transferring the music - whether via coaxial, USB and especially optical - can have an effect on the sound quality. For me, the best sound quality for the Hugo is via USB and coaxial. I am not getting as good a sound quality with optical. Perhaps an optical cable made of glass will yield a different result. The advantage for coaxial is its ability to play hi-res PCM (24/192) and DSD (I believe downsampled to 88.2khz). This is impossible with optical.

My "special" Hugo 
biggrin.gif

R10 with custom coaxial cable to Hugo playing DSD

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,145 of 15,694
  @spkrs01 kindly called for a meet to try out the amazing Mass Kobo model 394 amp today at Jaben

we tried many different sources (RWAK120-S, HM-901, AK240, Hugo)  and headphones........

Dang seems I missed a lot of fun!!

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,146 of 15,694

we tried many different sources (RWAK120-S, HM-901, AK240, Hugo)  and headphones (TH900, LCD-3, Abyss AB-1266, HE-6).

The 394 amp is fast, neutral and powerful sounding, it can drive all headphones with ease

I do agree for myself right now, the iTouch/Hugo appeals to me the most as a portable source/amp. Although my RWAK 120s with spdif mod to Hugo also sounded very good and even top the itouch in the mid-bass/bass region by a touch, the 120S can't do native DSD, plus touch have a battery life of around 12 hours+ on playing mix of DSD/Hi-res files which makes this my go to portable setup for the time being.

Interesting day to meet all the good folks at Jaben HK, also quite surprised to hear the Mass Kobo 394 can drive the HE6 quite well. Almost brought the HE6 right there!
I have The Other opinion

Has different SQ

IMO

I agree with rudi0504 that different source going into the Hugo will have different SQ - Different SQ from RWAK120S > spdif > Hugo vs touch> CCK/USB > Hugo vs iMac/Audirvana+ > USB > Hugo
IMO

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #1,147 of 15,694

If it's not any trouble, can any one tell me that lightning out is to coaxial or optical? and where do I purchase such a cable.

If it is to the coaxial connection on the hugo, it is indeed very tempting to use an ipod touch as a transport as it has the ability to play native dsd. 
eek.gif

Edit: Saw the coaxial in front, so the ipod touch most likely was to the USB in.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,148 of 15,694
Lightning camera connection kit only connects to USB, so is USB in for the Hugo. Beside, Hugo can only decode DSD from USB input (using DOP). 

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,150 of 15,694
Ok finally have some listening time with this rig  (Bombay view in the back is bonus).

ZX1 > Hugo > TWau > Hidition NT6

A few comments:
  • I almost blew my ears away when putting play, be careful how the volume is set
  • The combo is very very impressive technically: huge airy soundstage, power and control, ultra detailes, top transparence
  • The sig of the Hugo is quite unforgiving, very surgical and analytical, not as smooth and musical as the 901, even if it is technically superior in many aspects. Also quite terrible if the mastering is bad

I am really loving the sound, but I am wondering if it is not nice to have the Tera and / or 901 on the side for more mellow moods.

Very nice impression Michael

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,151 of 15,694

Your findings mirror mine. The best sound out of the Hugo, for me, is the following: 2011 MBP/Amarra -> Empirical Audio OR5 -> Hugo (spdif/coax input) -> rca line out -> tu-05 -> th900. Second place? Sub the th900 for er4s.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,152 of 15,694
Your findings mirror mine. The best sound out of the Hugo, for me, is the following: 2011 MBP/Amarra -> Empirical Audio OR5 -> Hugo (spdif/coax input) -> rca line out -> tu-05 -> th900. Second place? Sub the th900 for er4s.

@holeout let me auditioned his TU-05. Its a fantastic amp and I am sure feeding Hugo off it will sound mighty musical with the TH900.
I think i can listen to this setup for hours. Only if my wallet can support ... LoL

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,153 of 15,694
Dang seems I missed a lot of fun!!

Its a very fun meet and it was only confirmed late.
I got a bit tired after processing so many TOTL headphones. @sprks01 told me to listen to the new jvc earphones but my brain could not process anymore. LoL

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,154 of 15,694
I do agree for myself right now, the iTouch/Hugo appeals to me the most as a portable source/amp. Although my RWAK 120s with spdif mod to Hugo also sounded very good 
and even top the itouch in the mid-bass/bass region by a touch, the 120S can't do 
native
 DSD, plus touch have a battery life of around 12 hours+ on playing mix of DSD/Hi-res files which makes this my go to portable setup for the time being.

Interesting day to meet all the good folks at Jaben HK, also quite surprised to hear the Mass Kobo 394 can drive the HE6 quite well. Almost brought the HE6 right there!

Very nice meeting you yesterday. Dont worry, the HE-6 are still waiting for you there. Haha

Please let us know wheter adding Hugo to the Lumin network music player is an upgrade or more of a sidestep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back