Chord Hugo
Mar 15, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #1,126 of 15,694
rudi0504

Since you own both  perhaps you could say which i better in terms of absolute SQ between the Hugo and AK240.. I have read some impressions which indicate the difference is negligible.
Is this correct ? What do you think. If you wanted to buy one and only one unit ignoring the portability factor which would it be for use with IEMs ?

Hi Sauntere

These two are different segmented market

What is your source ?
What is Your iems or headphone ?

If you have already very good source / dap
Than Hugo is your choice
You can use Hugo as ext DAC with other Amp or
As full dac / amp .

Plus point from Hugo :
Big power with incredible SQ , that you can drive from iem to hard to drive headphone .
Very good as all rounder DAC / Amp
Hugo is more fexible to play With it

Minus point from Hugo :
You need source / DAP
Not so portable , it is more transportable

Ak 240 is DAP
Has very good to excellent SQ for iems and ciems , but not so good for headphones

Plus point AK 240 :
It is high end DAP , it is more practice and anytime you need music is there .

Minus point AK 240 :
please note that not all iems or ciems sound very good with AK 240
The most of them sound very Good to excellent
But has limitation power to drive headphone

Nobody is perfect , now The Choice is In Your hand

If i Know Your iems that maybe i have The same like Your iem , i can help you to test

Note :
With The same songs use AK 240 as stand Alone dap vs
AK 240 + Hugo
AK 240 + Hugo has better SQ , more weight , better High , better mid and more Clear ,
Better soundstage.

IMO

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,127 of 15,694
rudi0503

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. I think for my needs the Hugo will be better. I was really asking about the ultimate performance of the DAC and amp sections. It is pretty clear from your reply the Hugo comes up trumps there. Ultimately i may get both but for the moment i am interested in desk top performance.

Thank you.

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,128 of 15,694
rudi0503

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. I think for my needs the Hugo will be better. I was really asking about the ultimate performance of the DAC and amp sections. It is pretty clear from your reply the Hugo comes up trumps there. Ultimately i may get both but for the moment i am interested in desk top performance.

Thank you.

If you like desktop performance and you have already very good source and you can use your iem until headphone . Than Hugo is your choice.

If you are not in a hurry .please wait until new chassis revition coming with bigger RCA and COAX hole . You can use your home audio RCA and COAX cable
Imo

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,130 of 15,694
Ok finally have some listening time with this rig  (Bombay view in the back is bonus).

ZX1 > Hugo > TWau > Hidition NT6

A few comments:
  1. I almost blew my ears away when putting play, be careful how the volume is set
  2. The combo is very very impressive technically: huge airy soundstage, power and control, ultra detailes, top transparence
  3. The sig of the Hugo is quite unforgiving, very surgical and analytical, not as smooth and musical as the 901, even if it is technically superior in many aspects. Also quite terrible if the mastering is bad

I am really loving the sound, but I am wondering if it is not nice to have the Tera and / or 901 on the side for more mellow moods.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,133 of 15,694
I must insist on the fact that it does sound incredible. A bit fatiguing with some earphones, and a bit unforgiving on some recording. I was listening to the Strokes track "you only live once". I could hear some parasites in the back quite clearly. I checked with the ZX1 straight and could hear them but only faintly. On spotify even more faintly and on youtube not at all. So that much detail can be quite hard on the recording.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,135 of 15,694
  Ok finally have some listening time with this rig  (Bombay view in the back is bonus).

ZX1 > Hugo > TWau > Hidition NT6

A few comments:
  1. I almost blew my ears away when putting play, be careful how the volume is set
  2. The combo is very very impressive technically: huge airy soundstage, power and control, ultra detailes, top transparence
  3. The sig of the Hugo is quite unforgiving, very surgical and analytical, not as smooth and musical as the 901, even if it is technically superior in many aspects. Also quite terrible if the mastering is bad

I am really loving the sound, but I am wondering if it is not nice to have the Tera and / or 901 on the side for more mellow moods.

nice rig indeed
biggrin.gif

curious, is there any background hiss driving the nt6 with just the hugo?

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,137 of 15,694
it really doesn't matter what DAP or source you are using the resulting sound from the Hugo will be exactly the same... though it is nice to see a product outclassing a ridiculously priced one (imo) for half the cost (in UK). 

From the company that gave us the Blu, this is rather hard to believe.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,138 of 15,694
@spkrs01 kindly called for a meet to try out the amazing Mass Kobo model 394 amp today at Jaben

we tried many different sources (RWAK120-S, HM-901, AK240, Hugo)  and headphones (TH900, LCD-3, Abyss AB-1266, HE-6).

To my ears, the best source goes to Chord Hugo

The 394 amp is fast, neutral and powerful sounding, it can drive all headphones with ease

The best headphones are the Abyss AB-1266

The best combination to myself is ipod touch > Chord Hugo > 394 > TH900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back