Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,042 of 6,752
Sep 19, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #2,043 of 6,752
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,044 of 6,752
I just bought Qutest yesterday. Try to compare it to my Schiit Yggdrasil Analog2.
To me and my brother, Qutest is better sounding, soundstage is more expanding (very noticable), human voice sounds more lifelike. Only thing I don't like about Qutest is its bass impact, thou not bad, but not strong enough imo (worse than Yggy's bass, but even when not compared to anything, it still doesnt feel strong enough)

My system:
McIntosh MA6700
Sonus Faber Venere S
Qutest uses neutral profile with 2V output
Yggy uses XLR output

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,045 of 6,752
I just bought Qutest yesterday. Try to compare it to my Schiit Yggdrasil Analog2.
To me and my brother, Qutest is better sounding, soundstage is more expanding (very noticable), human voice sounds more lifelike. Only thing I don't like about Qutest is its bass impact, thou not bad, but not strong enough imo (worse than Yggy's bass, but even when not compared to anything, it still doesnt feel strong enough)

My system:
McIntosh MA6700
Sonus Faber Venere S
Qutest uses neutral profile with 2V output
Yggy uses XLR output
I dare to say that Qutest is neutral in bass quantity-not lean.

Maybe you should reposition your speakers a bit?

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2,047 of 6,752
Good advice. It's easy for DAC designers to create more perceived weight on the bottom end by adding distortion and other mechanisms; but this suppress' variation and pitch definition. Quality, not perceived quantity...
I dare to say that Qutest is neutral in bass quantity-not lean.

Maybe you should reposition your speakers a bit?
I'll do more experiments with speaker placement later.
Good thing is that I did clearly hear/feel "layers" of bass with Qutest and pretty impressed by that. (no clue if "layers" is the right word to describe it, but I did hear it, and it felt good, I also think that's how bass should sound/feel like)
I'll do more hearing with Qutest, but I have to admit that it make me want to listen to music more than Yggy.
Too soon to conclude, but if I have to pick one out of 2, I'll pick the Qutest, for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #2,053 of 6,752
I'm listening more and more to Qutest, at this point I'm very convinced by how it produces human voices, it feels superb to listen to just voices in any songs.
Instrument separation and soundstage are also very good.
Omg, I can't express how good human voices are with Qutest, I can really feel the emotions/vibarations in voices.
Btw, still havent had time to adjust speakers, so things could be improved even more!

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #2,054 of 6,752

Thanks for the info! It's handy for me to post my thought!

As I suspected, I believe some were having the same thinking. It's not a apple-to-apple comparison, as good as comparing the 1v, 2v and 3v outputs of Qutest itself.

If I were to do the comparison, I'll measure the amp speaker outputs, to ensure both dac have the similar output from the amp.

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2,055 of 6,752
Thanks for the info! It's handy for me to post my thought!

As I suspected, I believe some were having the same thinking. It's not a apple-to-apple comparison, as good as comparing the 1v, 2v and 3v outputs of Qutest itself.

If I were to do the comparison, I'll measure the amp speaker outputs, to ensure both dac have the similar output from the amp.

Yes, you need to volume match to a very close tolerance for any meaningful comparison or else the slightly louder one will usually always sound better. It’s the way we humans are wired. Adjust the volume on the amp to compensate for the different Voltages from the DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back