Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #2,012 of 6,736
Hello all, a the the moment I'm using my mac book pro via USB connected to my qutest. I'm seeing to good reviews regarding the allo digione spdif box, would this be a upgrade from my mac.

I considered the Allo but got this instead

DIYinhk XMOS 192kHz high-quality USB to SPDIF with ultralow noise 1uV regulator

So far satisfied for sure. Very low noise usb>spdif device.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #2,013 of 6,736
I considered the Allo but got this instead

DIYinhk XMOS 192kHz high-quality USB to SPDIF with ultralow noise 1uV regulator

So far satisfied for sure. Very low noise usb>spdif device.
I'm in the UK so that may be expensive to ship in, anybody tried a Singxer SU-1 USB they seem to have great reviews but are around £300. I had a schiit eitr but recently sold it as no difference between USB and spdif.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #2,014 of 6,736
I'm in the UK so that may be expensive to ship in, anybody tried a Singxer SU-1 USB they seem to have great reviews but are around £300. I had a schiit eitr but recently sold it as no difference between USB and spdif.

The Eitr is a decent device. If it made no difference I would not invest further in these devices honestly, seems like a waste of your time and money.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,017 of 6,736
I changed my Macbook for a streaming device. A sonic transporter i5. To be honest I do not regret for the convenience. But on sound grounds it was more or less the same because at the same time I also got a Microrendu and later on a Ultrarendu. These devices as well as the sms 200 ultra really had a significant impact on the SQ. So if you want to have a better sound that's the advice I give you. To take full advantage of using this devices you will also need a good LPS. I have had good experiences with ultracaps LPS1 (there's a new model LPS2) or a Sbooster (the new models just arrive on the market). Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,018 of 6,736
To be honest I want to replace my mac book pro with a streaming device that offers a good audio signal but don't want to spend ££££s maybe a sotm mini etc.
sorry, thought it was a Dave thread

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2,020 of 6,736
I changed my Macbook for a streaming device. A sonic transporter i5. To be honest I do not regret for the convenience. But on sound grounds it was more or less the same because at the same time I also got a Microrendu and later on a Ultrarendu. This devices as well as the sms 200 ultra really had a significant impact on the SQ. So if you want to have a better sound that's the advice I give you. To take full advantage of using this devices you will also need a good LPS. I have had good experiences with ultracaps LPS1 (there's a new model LPS2) or a Sbooster (the new models just arrive on the market). Cheers
Did you go with USB audio output or upgrade to optical or bnc

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #2,021 of 6,736
Did you go with USB audio output or upgrade to optical or bnc
USB audio. I do not exclude that optical or 2nd might be best but I never had the opportunity or wish to compare as I prefer the upsampling from HQPLAYER than the one from the Qutest. That might change with the Mscaler. :) In any case, the guys from sonore sell an interface with an I2S output if I am not wrong.
Of course it's not compatible with the Qutest.

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #2,022 of 6,736
I took the plunge and finally got my Qutest. It's been playing for about 4 hours so far. It sounds stunning.It's sense of rhythm is amazing, dynamics aplenty, excellent layering , detail retrieval, instrument separation etc. And so musically engaging!. treble is a bit glary at the moment, mids slightly more forward than Hugo 1, soundstage depth less cavernous than Hugo, I m sensing that these might shift with burn in.Loving it so far :)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,023 of 6,736
Same here. I have mine running through a HeadAmp GS-X MkII. Loving it !

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #2,024 of 6,736
I took the plunge and finally got my Qutest. It's been playing for about 4 hours so far. It sounds stunning.It's sense of rhythm is amazing, dynamics aplenty, excellent layering , detail retrieval, instrument separation etc. And so musically engaging!. treble is a bit glary at the moment, mids slightly more forward than Hugo 1, soundstage depth less cavernous than Hugo, I m sensing that these might shift with burn in.Loving it so far :)

You are correct in your assessment about the change in sound with more play time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back