Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,996 of 6,742
Seems oddly cheap considering the price of silver.

It’s made in China. Even some of the US finished cable suppliers source its cable from China. It’s 6” long, not a lot of cost for materials.

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,999 of 6,742
I too would like to know impressions. Especially SE vs. SE and SE vs. XLR>SE. Paging @sheldaze ?

Before I bought my Qutest, I considered the latest version of the Yggy. There were a few things that led to me choosing the Qutest: first, no native DSD with the Yggy; second, there are audible noises at the beginning of each track of an album, or at least that’s what I read on the Shiit website; third, having owned two Chord DACs before, I trust the technical prowess of Rob Watts. Your mileage may vary ...

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,000 of 6,742
extra for optional silver signal path wiring on my Don Garber 2A3 "X" amplifier was $20. Fully american and handmade :)

Great! The wire and connectors are generally the least expensive component of a cable; it’s the labor to put it all together that can cost more.

I was the Director of Sales for an American cable company many years ago, and I learned quite a bit about the business end.

Anyway, some won’t be interested in an inexpensive solution while others will ... my post was for the latter of the two.

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,002 of 6,742
Trying to find a comparison between the Qutest and Hugo 2 sound-wise. Anyone a-b these two and have an opinion?
I own both and I cannot hear any difference at all. Both are fantastic and the Hugo2 tends to travel long haul with me to feed my Shure KSE1500. The rest of the time they both feed identical Stax systems:

Uptone LPS 1.2 power supply into Sonore Ultra rendu into Qutest or Hugo 2 into a Mjölnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon into Stax SR-007 mk2

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #2,003 of 6,742
I'm going to audition a Qutest on Wednesday.

I'm curious about the BNC connectors....from most of the pics I've seen they look like 50 Ohm & not 75 Ohm. Can anyone confirm that?

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #2,005 of 6,742
I'm going to audition a Qutest on Wednesday.

I'm curious about the BNC connectors....from most of the pics I've seen they look like 50 Ohm & not 75 Ohm. Can anyone confirm that?

They are 75 ohm. Some people have incorrectly posted pictures of 50 ohm connectors which are meant to be compatible ie they should fit but not all do.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #2,007 of 6,742
Thanks! There are a lot of differing opinions out there about using 50 Ohm BNC inputs for 75 Ohm cables and connectors....ranging from negligible impact to 5% signal loss. Who knows what to believe?

I've seen 50 Ohm connectors used on DACs before and wondered why a manufacturer would do it when they surely cost the same.

Anyway, all good. I'm looking forward to checking this baby out :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,008 of 6,742
I'm still kicking myself I used to have a bunch of bulk 75 Ohm from early cable tv days.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,009 of 6,742
Well I had a look at the Qutest in person today and those BNC inputs are definitely 50 Ohm to my eye with the thick dialectic around the centre pin. As I said, I am not sure what difference it makes in the world of Audio Nervosa, yes a 75 Ohm male connection will go on it fine but I'm just not sure why 50 Ohm would be installed instead of 75 Ohm? Perhaps it just offers more flexibility?

Anyway, there was a demo unit there that the store offered to let me take home for a couple of nights but not until next week as someone had already reserved it for a demo. There was however a demo Hugo 2 that they generously let me take home to audition based on the presumption that it would sound exactly the same. So she's hooked up and doing her thing as I type. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back